News [NO POLITICS]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: News [NO POLITICS]

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:00 am

It took the loss of 17 lines of Javascript code to bring down a lot of NPM builds, after an indie dev faced off with a corporation bearing the same name as his lib.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/1941 ... npm-builds

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:38 am

What I found fascinating was reading the comments (and not just the first page of them). I knew that programming had changed since I left that world twenty years ago, but I didn't realise quite what a mess parts of it had evolved into.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Celebrating Radio Eva at 10 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:06 am

This is what happens when the whole client side of the internet now runs on a minimal dialect of Scheme that got kitbashed together in one hectic week in 1995 as part of the browser wars.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:39 am

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm

I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Man escapes death after crawling from car dangling on cliff edge, only to be hit by a passing bus

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 67416.html
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:32 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:38 am

Rite of Reclamation - an Evangelion/Halo fusion, check it out, is pretty neat.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:02 am

Never have I been happier to know that I have nothing to do with that game. Sounds like a hell of a mess.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Thats amazing. Wish i could see it in real life.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

IronEvangelion
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Fascinating! I never knew there was an MMO that actually let the players form cooperative empires and control territory. That's cool.
Final Fantasy VII is being remade, all's right with the world.
#1 Duck Team/Akebi Sasaki (Girls und Panzer) fan.
"There are two things I can't stand: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." -Nigel Powers (Austin Powers: Goldmember)
"Oh no, Haruka! My butt's already split! I think my whole team's butts are split!" -Minori (Senran Kagura: Estival Versus)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 pm

At the largest levels the game sounds amazing, yes, but as I understand it on the individual scale EVE is basically Spreadsheets: The Game.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:47 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Fascinating! I never knew there was an MMO that actually let the players form cooperative empires and control territory. That's cool.

Something I wish every MMO did. If I remember right, one of the big pastimes for the larger alliances is to see how successfully they can raid highsec areas, which usually have a dreadnought or two lurking around. I've bought a book on Amazon that details all of the great wars in EVE's history. The fact that this book is even a thing is too awesome.

NemZ wrote:At the largest levels the game sounds amazing, yes, but as I understand it on the individual scale EVE is basically Spreadsheets: The Game.

Haha! Pretty much. Along with trying to figure out how your goddamn ship works, most of your time is spent in a shitty mining rig trying to farm minerals for ISK so you can get a less-shitty mining rig. Supercarriers, for instance, can take RL years to build and you can only operate them after you've spent RL months/years training your characters in very specific skill trees. Pretty neat once you get the hang of it, just way too time consuming.
Rite of Reclamation - an Evangelion/Halo fusion, check it out, is pretty neat.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:03 am

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: News [NO POLITICS] BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:04 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:At the largest levels the game sounds amazing, yes, but as I understand it on the individual scale EVE is basically Spreadsheets: The Game.

The joke among us EnB players was that EVE was a "mining simulator". Their first expansion, if I'm not mistaken, included a mining station operable by the player.

In the 4 weeks I played it, the stereotype certainly seemed to hold true. I mined, got a bigger ship, mined, hung out with a French guild, mined, was given a better ship by someone else, mined.... lost interest.

I never experienced "ganking" or even so much as a harsh word from somebody; I wondered if I lucked out, or if players were just less competitive then?

My interest peaked again a little when I heard about Dust 514; a 1st-person shooter that would exist simultaneously in the universe of EVE, where you could use your EVE ship to call in orbital bombardments--- but it seemed that it petered out.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:19 am

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Celebrating Radio Eva at 10 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 pm

"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:55 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-has-trialled-an-engine-that-would-take-us-to-Mars-in-10-weeks?platform=hootsuite
Get in losers, we're boldly going where no man has gone before.

Check the date. That created a stir last year, but nobody's published anything about it for months now. I wouldn't hold my breath.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:09 pm

You realize how long it takes to test something like this right.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”