Ghosts of Evangelion

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Ghosts of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Pretty please :blush:
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 am

Sorry folks; I'd hoped to get some progress done on a couple of new chapters this weekend, but it didn't work out. If I'm lucky I'll make it happen this week. Keep your fingers crossed!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:21 am

They've been crossed for so long that it's become the new default arrangement for my hands
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Part I of II:

SPOILER: Show
June 3, 2026
Misato slurped up some of her ramen, then gave Shinji an inquiring look. "So, Shinji," she asked, "how are you settling in at Herz?"
Shinji shrugged. "It's fine. The training in school really helped, so I don't feel too lost."
Asuka snorted, her arms folded behind her head. Misato gave her a disapproving frown, then turned back to Shinji. "And how are things at home?" she asked slyly. "You two doing okay?"
Shinji flushed. "W-well . . . " he began.
"Stop being so nosy," Asuka grumbled. "If there were problems we'd tell you."
"Asuka . . . " Shinji said.
"Fine, fine," Misato said airily. "I'm just wondering, that's all."
"Wondering about what?" Shinji asked, suspicious.
Misato leaned forward, her eyes dancing. "When you'll settle down! Start a family! Get--"
Asuka rolled her eyes. "Oh Christ, not this again. We aren't getting married, Misato. Let it go already."
Misato pulled back, giving Asuka a hurt look. "Is it really so terrible if I want to see you two happy?"
"That's the problem," Asuka shot back. "You're dreaming about something that will never happen."

Shinji opened the door to the apartment, then preceded Asuka inside. "I think you might have hurt Misato's feelings," he said.
Asuka shrugged. "Well, too bad. I've told her before not to keep pushing like that, so she should know better."
Shinji sighed. "Asuka . . . "
"What?" She glared at him, then relented. "Fine, I'll apologize tomorrow."
He nodded. "Thank you."
Asuka made her way to the living room and sat down. She grabbed the TV remote off the floor, turning on the TV and flipping through the channels until she settled on a program about the mating habits of Hakone's birds in the post-Third Impact era.
Shinji sat beside her and watched for a while. Finally he asked, "Would it really be so terrible? Getting married, I mean."
"Tch. Don't be stupid, Shinji. Marriage is for adults, and we're still Children." Her expression darkened with bitter humor. "Us? Married? What a fucking joke."
Shinji didn't reply. There was something on the TV about pair bonding, and it was making him nauseous. "If that's how you feel," he asked, "then what's the point? Why are we doing this?"
She shot him a sideways glance. "You're the one who wanted to be friends, remember? You're the one who wanted to take care of me, to distract yourself from your own guilt and misery. And I let you, so I can feel like my life is worth something. That's the best we can do. It always has been."
"I see," he said. "I guess that's true."
Seconds ticked by as the show droned on. "So what's your problem?" she asked.
He shook his head. "No problem. I just . . . I guess I thought we'd moved past that."
"Don't mistake affection and sympathy for a healthy relationship, Shinji. I like you, but that doesn't mean we've really fixed anything. It just means we have enough control over our problems that they're no longer killing us."
He didn't reply. The show continued, noting that while one species that would mate for life another would practice serial monogamy.
After a few minutes Asuka asked, "Are you going to run away?" Her voice was steady, but the undercurrent of tension beneath the calm was unmistakable.
He shook his head again. "No," he said. "I won't run away. Never again."
She relaxed a bit in response, then leaned against the wall.
"Even if you're wrong," he added, a corner of his mouth curling up.
Asuka tensed, opening her mouth to reply, then returned her attention to the TV. "Idiot," she mumbled.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Very well done, although both half's feel shorter than they should be like there's some chunk of both paragraphs missing, but overall, good chapter (The documentary was also a nice touch)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:48 am

Okay, am i the only one here who actually bothers to give this story feedback anymore?

FriedlCore
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FriedlCore » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:32 pm

No, no you are not. I really love Bagheeras story, I read it like 5 times entirely and check regularly for new updates. The last chapter is one of the weaker ones I think. I just don't get the typical feeling, it's hard to explain...

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:33 pm

Probably because it's only two paragraphs and not as in-depth as his previous chapters

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:43 pm

It's because that one is setup for what comes next. I'd meant to publish both of those at the same time, or at least in rapid succession, but things didn't work out that way. Sorry about that. The next one should be up soon and, read as a pair, they'll hopefully be up to snuff.

FriedlCore
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FriedlCore » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:01 am

That is very plausible. When you publish the next chapter I'll give you feedback wiht that in mind!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Jeez, I posted part I over a month ago? My time is just flying by these days. Sorry for the delay, folks. Here's part II of II:

SPOILER: Show
February 20, 2047
Shinji glanced up as Asuka entered their apartment. He frowned, noting her unusually pensive demeanor. "Something wrong?" he asked.
She shook her head, distracted. "No," she said, "why would there be?"
"You just seem lost in thought," he said.
She scowled at him. "Shinji, I'm the smartest person you know. Why is it unusual that I'd be thinking about something?"
"I dunno," he said, shrugging. "It's just not your style."
She frowned, then blew out a breath and let it go. She stared at him for a moment, then asked, "do you still want to get married?"
He gave her a strange look. "Where did that come from?"
"Something Ryuko said." She absently twirled a lock of hair around her finger. "Her career survey is due this week, and I was pressing her to finish it. She thought it was pointless, since she's obviously going to be a musician of some sort, but I said she had to finish it just like everyone else. And when I said that she just laughed and said, 'since when are we just like everyone else?' I didn't have an answer for her, but it got me thinking."
"Oh?" Shinji asked.
"She's right," Asuka mumbled. "We aren't like everyone else. We never have been. But even so . . . " She shrugged. "We went to school, just like everyone else. We got jobs. We have our friends, and our family, and it's weird but it's ours. It's real. And then, with Ryuko, we made a family of our own." She met his gaze, dropping her hands to her sides. "And that's what marriage is for, right? It's a way to tell the world 'this is our family', right?
"That's true," Shinji said, nodding.
She started pacing back and forth in front of him. "I hated the idea of getting married, since it felt like a sham. Marriage was for normal people, not us. We were pilots. We're too fucked up to ever be normal. But . . . " She stopped, staring at him. " . . . we have a daughter together. We work, and we hold each other at night when everything goes to hell, and . . . " She shook her head. "How can that be fake? How does the notion that is even make sense?"
He shrugged. "Well, it's not like I disagree."
"You're not helping, Third," she groused.
"What do you want me to say?" he asked. "You know I agree with you, so . . . "
She sighed. "Do you want to get married, or not?"
"Of course I do," he said. He took her hands in his own. "If it's what you want, nothing would make me happier."
She blushed. "So, that's it, then. We're getting married."
"I guess so."
Any further response from Shinji was cut off by the tone of a cellphone's camera taking a picture. The Children turned and spied their daughter holding the offending object, a wide grin on her face. "Misato is gonna love this," she said.
Asuka and Shinji stared at one another. "Shit," she said.
Shinji just sighed.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Ooh. A new upcoming story arc?

FriedlCore
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FriedlCore » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:18 am

You were right, if put into context the chapters are quite nice. Once more you have portrayed the characters very accurate. A "proposal" had to be in such a fashion.

I'm always happy to read new parts of your story, just like Arcadia it's my headcanon for P3I.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:15 pm

Yeah, this kind of proposal works well for them. It's touching, but without being too saccharine. Also, the end of the chapter was amusing. ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:18 pm

That actually begs the question. Was Ryuko watching/filming them the whole time? And if so, did she know that it would end with a proposal?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm presuming that she'd picked up some vibes, and made a good guess.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:21 pm

I didn't know you were still going at this. I've got some catching up to do.... and I don't even remember where I left off.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:39 pm

As a number of us know, End of Evangelion's original Japanese title was 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版 Air/まごころを、君に or Neon Genesis Evangelion theatre version Air/Yours, Sincerely.
This got me wondering, if Ghosts of Evangelion was this fics English title, what should its Japanese title be? It doesn't need one of course, this is just for funs sake

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:42 pm

That's a good question. I don't think "Ghosts of Evangelion" would be the English title, though; more like the English equivalent for the whole work (just as "Neon Genesis Evangelion" is an approximation of the Japanese title of the show).

In general, the Japanese titles seem to reference the plot in some fashion, while their English equivalents are more descriptive of the emotional state of the characters at various points. So, in this case, we'd get something like this for the Japanese:

幽霊とレムナント (Ghosts and Remnants)

while the English title might be something like:

Believe in me so I can believe in you

Don't hold me to either, but that's my initial take.
Last edited by Bagheera on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply, but that last chapter made me Squee a bit. Finally, this is a major step for Shinji and Asuka to embrace the normal world and try to break away from their internal "exclusion" because of what they've been through. It's another great step for them to heal, and I look forward to the sound of Church Bells soon Bags. :clap:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Return to “Fanfiction”