News [NO POLITICS]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (WTF is your avatar/sig from?)

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:52 am

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: [News] How is this still happening? It's 2016!

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:34 am

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/ ... handle-it/

Bring it on, then. I'm game.

[Moved from the other News topic, unless resulting discussion turns surprisingly "serious". - Monk]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: News [NO POLITICS]

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:35 am

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: [News] How is this still happening? It's 2016!

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:17 am

Article above on cooking insects wrote:“I want to help people get over that ‘oh gross, bug’ thing, so bugs are always going to be prominently displayed in my recipes,” said David George Gordon, a cookbook author who markets himself as The Bug Chef. “I wanted people to be aware of what they’re eating.”

Dude, I don't even want to know what the food I eat right now looked like when it was alive. Salmon to me is that pink stuff that comes ready-to-cook in a package from the store. Serve me a fish that actually looks like a fish (as other cultures do, such as by leaving the head on and the eyes staring at you) and I wouldn't want to eat it either. Totally wrong direction to go.

Just gimme a protein bar and don't tell me what it came from. If they're gonna argue that I should be okay with eating insects because protein is protein, I can say right back that they don't have to tell me what I'm eating because protein is protein.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:27 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Moot to fix Google+

"fix" Moot's effect on 4chan is highly overstated, in fact all he really did was allow it to become the cesspool you see today.
Seriously though the base code for 4chan was Japanese that he had translated and then modified ever so slightly, he didnt really do anything of note beyond that.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:07 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:"fix" Moot's effect on 4chan is highly overstated, in fact all he really did was allow it to become the cesspool you see today.

It was always a cesspool, what are you talking about, no one would go on there if it wasn't.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:11 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:It was always a cesspool, what are you talking about, no one would go on there if it wasn't.

Well it wasn't when he first advertised it on something awful........so for about a day or two
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:12 pm

This is just... I don't know, man...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kim-ka ... n=homepage

The total combined play time on Kim Kardashian's 2014 mobile game Kim Kardashian Hollywood is now roughly 35,000 years. To put that into perspective, the whole of known human civilization has only existed for about 10,000 years. Human beings have now clocked 3.5 times the length of all civilization on a mobile game. In 2 years. :bigeyes: -o-;
[Redacted]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:23 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:This is just... I don't know, man...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kim-ka ... n=homepage

The total combined play time on Kim Kardashian's 2014 mobile game Kim Kardashian Hollywood is now roughly 35,000 years. To put that into perspective, the whole of known human civilization has only existed for about 10,000 years. Human beings have now clocked 3.5 times the length of all civilization on a mobile game. In 2 years. :bigeyes: -o-;

If that game is using shop items that could be bought with money, I'm sure that there's a large portion consisting of gold and loot miners in some dark room in Guangzhou running hundreds of phones just to farm stuff (the same is true with Clash of Clans, in that there are those who are paying top dollar to obtain more gems).

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:01 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:The total combined play time on Kim Kardashian's 2014 mobile game Kim Kardashian Hollywood is now roughly 35,000 years. To put that into perspective, the whole of known human civilization has only existed for about 10,000 years. Human beings have now clocked 3.5 times the length of all civilization on a mobile game. In 2 years. :bigeyes: -o-;

You're comparing wrong stats there. 35,000 years of play time per person, vs a combined time of 10,000 years. The correct comparison would be to take the sum of years of every person who ever lived (e.g. the total play time of "life").

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:13 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:"fix" Moot's effect on 4chan is highly overstated, in fact all he really did was allow it to become the cesspool you see today.
Seriously though the base code for 4chan was Japanese that he had translated and then modified ever so slightly, he didnt really do anything of note beyond that.

Only /b/, /gif/, and /pol/ are that bad, honestly. Rest of the site is fairly innocuous. 2chan is actually much more vile.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:57 pm

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report-in ... or-2183054

Indonesian mayor claims Instant Noodles cause Homosexuality.

If Instant Noodles make one gay, then who wants to be straight?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:18 pm

If eating instant noodles made you gay, I'd be pissing rainbows by now.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:22 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report-instant-noodles-can-make-babies-gay-claims-indonesia-mayor-2183054

Indonesian mayor claims Instant Noodles cause Homosexuality.

Thanks for the laugh. If this was true, the Japanese would have gone extinct decades ago.
[Redacted]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:52 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 am

This statement is absolutely baffling to me:

David Wheatcroft wrote:“We hope people start looking for it and find it everywhere,” he said. “Because then we can start answering the question of how and why syntax evolved. For now, we don’t have any close relatives that we know who use syntax. And it’s a big question. Why not just convey a new meaning by creating a new word? Why does order matter? We hope that in the future, this research will help give us insight into why syntax evolved in humans.”

Is he serious? Create a new word for every concept ever? Isn't it obvious that syntax preserves word economy and keeps vocabulary down to a manageable level? It's the same reason our languages are composed of a limited set of symbols, arranged in various ways to express different words and ideas -- if we needed a new symbol for every concept we'd run out of symbols in nothing flat, and no one would be able to keep track of them all!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:22 pm

I don't think he's advocating creating a new word for every concept, but those are questions that research like this can touch on.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Author, furious over a review of his book. Buys a plane ticket, travels to Scotland and attempts to Murder the teenaged girl who gave him a bad review.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/te ... on-6802185

Jeez. And they say I don't take criticism well.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Kiwi allergy transferred to patient via bone marrow transplant.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26990607

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”