Peaceful Times... a new short film?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:21 pm

The boards I took the most interest in back when this first came out were the images that seemed to depict Shinji and Asuka walking through the desert. That would be a great thing to have some time spent on in FINAL.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:44 pm

^
Well, that were the only Evangelion frames that weren't part of 3.0, so naturally it would be what pick up the most our interest. (although you forget poor Rei Q)
But yeah, I would really like to see those scenes in FINAL, unless the whole trip just consist of the three walking among ruins with Rei Q staying silent, Asuka grumbling and Shinji as a zombie occasionally kicked and lectured by Asuka when he relapse into catatonia, that would be lame. (and a huge waste of the potential of having the three pilots alone for a long time without any battle situation interrupting them)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:09 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:seemed to depict Shinji and Asuka walking through the desert.

Well, a little bit more than that, as we also see railway tracks (a crossing, at any rate), and them riding on a horse :wink:

Granted, there's nothing that hints at any later part of the story, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:11 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote: and them riding on a horse :wink:

Say what? Where is that happening!?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Just look at the site I linked before:

[url]http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2695.html[/url]

OK, at first the horse and riders appear behind our characters, so it's not so clear what's being shown - but towards the end there are frames with just three riders on the horse, being attacked (?) by an FoI (?) which then breaks up (?).

Actually, I'm sure recall a frame that not in that lot which supports my allegation better - I'll look for it (anyway, this is why I gave them horses).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:42 pm

I guess my memory is a bit foggy on Peaceful Times, then. Thanks for the reminders. -o-;

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:17 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Just look at the site I linked before:

[url]http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2695.html[/url]

OK, at first the horse and riders appear behind our characters, so it's not so clear what's being shown - but towards the end there are frames with just three riders on the horse, being attacked (?) by an FoI (?) which then breaks up (?).

Actually, I'm sure recall a frame that not in that lot which supports my allegation better - I'll look for it (anyway, this is why I gave them horses).

Sorry, but I think it was established that the horse was unrelated to the Eva bit (there are only two people btw) and that shot with the broke up FoI was just it being crashed in in a building and the trio walking in front of it.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm debating whether or not to bother watching this short, or seriously look at the storyboards. After the 3.0 Preview in 2.0, and the lingering effects of the camrip, I think I'll just wait for something more concrete to come along before jumping to any conclusions.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Bump.

I'm trying to think of some new angles to take on this, but I can't think of any at the time being. However, it might be a bad idea to let this thread lie in the garbage (particularly since it contains all those storyboards.)

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Peaceful Times... a new short film?

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:10 am

I've read this whole thread, and felt this was an interesting find from the Khara calendar thread (also someone brought it up on Reddit):

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The train tracks themselves may also tie in with the story boards in Sagisu's Peaceful Times petit film. Though the mere existence of train tracks doesn't prove that there are people using them!

Image in Khara's calendar:
SPOILER: Show

The Peaceful Times photo:
SPOILER: Show
In and of itself, self-evident.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:50 am

The railway theme continues in until You come to me (the post-Eva Q film in Khara's series of shorts):

More rails  SPOILER: Show
ImageImage

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:54 am

Now the real question: is this significant, or simply reflective of the fact that trains are such an ubiquitous part of Japanese culture?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:28 am

Well, let's start with the fact that all three examples occur in the post-Q era of Eva, two of them with pretty direct links to Q itself, and there are none in the previous history of Eva. This proves nothing, of course, but is closer to significance than just one example would be.

I suppose they could point towards a development of the hell-train scenes, with the trains no longer being an enclosed and shut-off space, but running on rails in the open, signifying the ability to be directed anywhere instead of being stuck in one place - thus marking a change from introspection to extrospection (or perhaps I should say open-mindedness).

Am I reaching here? Hell, yes!

Shark Knight
Lilith

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:11 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, a little bit more than that, as we also see railway tracks (a crossing, at any rate), and them riding on a horse :wink:

Granted, there's nothing that hints at any later part of the story, though.

After looking at the pictures of those storyboards its as if they stumbled there because Shinji didnt want to go any further. Then they find this mery go round and Asuka and Shinji go there.

I dont wanna sound like I am doing fan fic or anything like that but if I where to put the pieces together it would be almost like "we are at the end of world when nothing really matters anymore so, why not have some fun? Or wanna go on a date?"
The hilarity and simplicity of it made it very appealing for me to think it like that.
Let None Find Us Wanting

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”