Broadband Providers?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Broadband Providers?

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:08 pm

So currently I'm with Virgin media for my internet, I pay 57 pounds per month for 100 mbps, the most I have actually ever had is 60 mbps and I am currently dealing with 10mbps download speed, you heard me right TEN.
This is insane that they can get away with this and its making online gaming impossible so I would like to know who I could switch to in the UK to have least get a solid 50mbps, help please?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Broadband Providers?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:57 pm

N.B. - this reply is relevant for users in the UK only.

Cable is a shared medium, and so speeds are highly dependent on what other users in the area are doing. So although the headline speeds are higher than ADSL, the average speeds may well not be. ADSL (or VDSL, aka FTTC - Fibre to the Cabinet) is not shared until the exchange, and the amount of contention depends on the supplier's contract with their backhaul supplier; OTOH, ADSL/VDSL speeds depend on how close to the exchange/cabinet you are. I have a nominal 80Mbps down/20Mbps up line; but I am at the maximum distance from the cabinet, and I normally get between 45M and 50M down (8M up) - but it's rock-solid, and I never experience dips in speed because of competing traffic within my provider's network. Pings are pretty good, too.

I'm with Zen Internet, who are far from the cheapest, but are one of the small handful of seriously professional services available in the UK (their help-line is in this country, too - it's in Rochdale). Unlike many, many British providers they have no "fair usage" policy (that's the term for them to be able to limit your speed arbitrarily if they think you're using too much bandwidth, so they can advertise "unlimited" services which aren't). I use them also because they allow me to run servers (in fact I even have a small block of IP addresses, not just one).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Broadband Providers?

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:16 pm

That is both cheaper and helps far more than my current virgin package, plus its available in my area
Looking at BT now but I'm pretty sure Zen is what I'll be switching to.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”