Spike Spencer's Acting in Evangelion 3.33

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Spike Spencer's Acting in Evangelion 3.33

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:09 pm

I must apologize for the way my behavior might be coming across, it's just that (as I've said previously) i'm planning on watching Eva dubbed eventually, i'm the kind of person who needs to be in a positive state of mind for me to enjoy something properly. All of this criticism and bias towards the dub is not at all helping me achieve this, and if i go into Eva now, I'd just be watching it with all the negative things spoken about it constantly shouting at me as i watch it, and it just comes across as a bitter experience, regardless of the anime or it's dubs quality. I'd rather go in with something to look forward to. Something that i know will be good about what i'm seeing. Something that can help me say "My regrets are outweighed by my satisfaction"
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Just put it on in the background while you're doing chores, like laundry or dishes or cooking or something. No real expectations there. If it's inoffensive you'll leave it on and keep listening, if it's ear rape you'll turn it off soon enough.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:23 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:a not that good English adaptation... It's like, why settle?

I'm the same with (classical) music. A performance is a presentation of the underlying work of art; a great presentation can show you things that you didn't notice before, but a homely amateur rendition can have an simple rough honesty that also brings something to the table. There can also be true artistic understanding which can be sensed even through imperfect technique. I enjoy amateur music more than many people who can't so easily use the performance largely as a portal to the underlying work.

Because you know that it would be a waste of time? :3

That wasn't the reason - but yes, I know! :tongue:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:31 pm

I've never heard anything like your metaphor brought up in this type of discussion before... Props for that! :kawaii: Very interesting and evocative, and I can see the logic in it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:18 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:The dub cast, on the other hand does not have these luxuries of time and direct instructions

They sure did this time lol

My preferred analogy in the eternal Subs vs. Dubs war is, it's like seeing a filmed recording of a stage production with the original cast & crew vs. attending a live performance with a different cast. You lose something either way - the hand-picked cast and the presence of the audience in the theater were both part of the experience originally envisioned by the director - but either option still represents a unique experience with its own advantages, and can even lend itself to new discoveries. So I don't think one is inherently more "valid" than the other, and if you like the play a lot you'll probably find it interesting to examine the different versions unto themselves. They're just different, complementary ways to experience it.

I see the same 2-3 people who have never liked the live production on principle are still posting in every thread about it to declare to the world that, lo, they continue to not like it. I guess there's a few in every anime forum on the web.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:20 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I see the same 2-3 people who have never liked the live production on principle

Which "same 2-3 people"? If you're going to show them public contempt, at least have the nads to name them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”