Stargate Asuka RP

General Role-Playing and collective works.

Moderator: Board Staff

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Stargate Asuka RP

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 pm

スターゲイト:飛鳥
Stargate Asuka

If you don’t know anything about Stargate, really, don’t worry. Everything will be discovered by the player characters; everything of substance they could know until play begins is right here:

“Excuse me sir, I’m from the Ministry of Defense Technical Research and Development Institute...”

In a concealed secure underground facility near the town of Asuka, Nara, built by the ruins of Japan’s ancient capital...

The First Artefact: A ring, around 4.6 meters in diameter, composed of an unknown metal. Around the edges are nine chevron-like ornaments; in a crevice within an insert ring of thirty-nine symbols of unknown meaning. Close examination reveals incomprehensible, elaborate, and advanced technological elements.
Image  SPOILER: Show

The Second Artefact: An incomplete set of twenty gilded seals. On each two columns are inscribed: the first has six of the symbols found on the ring; the second is a label(?) in Chinese characters: three of these refer to mythological locations mentioned in the Kojiki, eleven to the “sacrifices” of one or another early Emperor, and the remaining six seemingly describe some unknown and bizarre countries.

The Third Artefact: A massive circular cover stone under which the ring had been buried. The bulk of it is dated to over five thousand years ago, covered in what seem to be Old Kingdom Egyptian hieroglyphics, but used to write an unknown language. In the center was what seems to have been the space for a plaque or image of sorts, but it was long ago chiselled out. In its place is far newer piece—around 600 AD—with an inscription in some rather curious Classical Chinese.

It reads:

萬年天有高天原
是伊邪那岐命之天浮橋
恐見日神愛瀰詩埋永矣
恐邪魔上宮皇子埋永矣
是虚天神之曐門

Ten thousand years into the sky is Takamagahara
The Floating Bridge of Heaven of Izanagi-no-Mikoto
For fear of the Sun-gods’ sight the Emishi had buried it for all time
For fear of the demons Prince Shôtoku has buried it for all time
The false heavenly gods’ Stargate

Notes
*Anything’s open to correction or advisement, especially in regards to the JSDF and political/military matters.
*We’ll primarily be playing as members of this Japanese equivalent of SG-1.
*Play should be structured around missions/episodes in the obvious manner.
*You’re welcome, indeed invited, to plot out missions and story arcs, and can assume primary DMing role. PM me anytime.
*Obviously, English will be standing in for Japanese, but don’t forget that it’s actually Japanese that’s being spoken.
*There’s not going to be any aliens speaking English Modern Earth Japanese without reason. That was a concession to the television format; the original film managed to avoid that, and so can we.
*The Goa’uld posing as the Japanese gods know Old Japanese; a minimum of communication so can quickly be established with them, with the linguists on the project pretty much immediately. Their Jaffa and the descendants of the Yayoi-Kofun Emperors’ offerings don’t know Old Japanese per se, but descendants of it, which will be a little harder.
*Most other languages will require the linguists at least a few days’ time to work out to the point of reliable basic communication.
*Other precedents in gameplay will be set as needed.
*The Kojiki http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/kj/index.htm

Character Sheets
Unless otherwise stated, I’ll assume these are for our Japanese version of SG-1
For Japanese Characters
Name: In kanji or katakana
Romanized Name: (Western order)
Appearance: If desired
Character:
Biography:
Qualifications: I.e. military rank, academic degrees, &c.
Anything else:

Other character sheets  SPOILER: Show
For Other Tau’ri (Earth) Characters
Arrangements will need to be made to justify their presence—this is a secret Japanese military operation.
Name:
Nationality:
Character:
Biography:
Qualifications: I.e. military rank, academic degrees, &c.
Anything else:

For Alien Characters
If anyone wishes... Obviously these cannot be immediately played. You are also required to PM me a proposal for the mission in which they will encountered.
Name:
Species: In the tradition of Stargate, alien characters who are not human (or Jaffa, or even Goa’uld) should have a good reason for being so.
Native Planet:
Appearance & Biology: Necessary here; also consider their customary clothing!
Character:
Biography:
Qualifications:
Ethnography: A description of their people’s culture, history, biology if applicable...
Anything else:
Last edited by Lavinius on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Stargate Asuka RP

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:23 pm

I've replaced the original OP and title with a considerably more developed, half-functional OP based on the earlier option 2. Please, any comments are welcome!
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Return to “Role-Playing Related”