Castlevania - all around discussion

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Castlevania - all around discussion

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:38 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Rondo was a ton of fun, even though it's not my preferred style of 'vania. It proved to be the exception to the rule. Its connection to SotN is why I even gave it a chance, but its action gameplay is refined and precise in a way that the Igavanias' aren't.

Yeah, I would even put it above some of the metroidvanias, SotN included (not a very popular opinion, I'm sure).

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Castlevania - all around discussion

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Of the classic style 3 is my all-time favorite. The newer ones have fancy multidirectional whipping and item crashes and tons of neat little background details going on, but for pure gameplay Dracula's Curse can't be topped. The are only two complaints I have about the title and both are about it's level structure; the early clocktower where Grant is should not have been a dead end but rather lead to another forwards path, and the game would have benefited from more choice points to move between these different paths after picking up the sidekick of choice rather than for example being locked into the shortest route if you take Sypha, or forced into one of the two longer ones with Alucard, especially since none of the levels are actually built around testing the skills of a particular sidekick.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”