Badly remembered pop culture

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:48 pm

I've managed to find a bunch of mine, but not all of them. Here's the ones I remember.

this was a movie, the plot was about some kids who lived by a river that had some kind of monster living in it, later it turned out that the monster was some kind of haunted construciton excavator machine living under the water.

The next memory is an animated film that had a bunch of weird multi colored things that looked like slimer from ghost busters in it, this is not real ghost busters because I remember it predated that cartoon. It also had some kind of giant monster guitar that attacked people.

My next memory is some kind of horror film I think, since I didn't see all of it. It had some kid reminiscing about this guy he knew and the last time he saw him. The guy said something to a group of girls so they all ganged up on him and carried him away. I remember the kid described them doing it "like an army of ants" and then later he found the guys dead body hung from a tree and he freaked out.

Alright now this is much more recent, and it is also an internet movie. So anyway there's these two guys who met some kind of mutant easter bunny who sang folk songs, specifically one called "the easter eggs will find you", he also laid chocolate eggs and had wolverine claws. I have tried like a maniac to find this movie and cannot do it!

There was this other movie in the 80's about some guy and some girl on a weird planet with a bunch of monsters on it, also apparently the water was bad because I specifically remember the guy saying "water water everywhere but not a drop to drink".

Then there was this other 80's movie about this big jabba the hutt-ish looking thing that changed kids into things when they went inside it, it changed one girl into a fairy.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:24 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I got one driving me nuts for so many years.

A '90s PC game (from my childhood) where humanity's long extinct/disappeared but various animal tribes exist. A fox (?) and 2 other members of different tribes have to complete different quests to find some kind of artifacts.Think it had something about stars or space travel mentioned in the game's opening, like the tribes gazing at the stars.

Welp, it was tracked down: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inherit ... or_the_Orb

Weird stuff!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Badly remembered pop culture

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:58 am

I found it! I've been trying to identify a game I had back in my SNES days for a long time now, a couple of years probably, not all the time obviously, but whenever I came upon something about old games or the like I'd remember that game I couldn't remember and spent some time looking for it online. I tried several search terms containing what little I remembered from the game but to no avail, until today. Inspired by this thread I once again journeyed into the internet looking for that elusive game, and this time with a different approach, I did an image search for SNES game covers, that game had an easily recognizable, weird as hell cover, and to my surprise, I found it.

Creepy.

This game is probably the weirdest and shittiest game I've ever played (It's based on a movie I've never seen).

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:38 pm

This thread got me thinking... Years ago before the Star Wars prequels were even a thing, I remember watching a mysterious 4th Star Wars film called The Ewok Adventure. It was about a couple of human kids teaming up with a tribe of ewoks on the forest moon of Endor to rescue their parents from a giant monster. IIRC, some really disturbing and freaky stuff happened along the way. Well, tonight I did a Google search to make sure I hadn't dreamed up the whole thing, and... it actually exists!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravan_o ... _Adventure

Apparently it also spawned a sequel I never even knew about. Anybody else remember seeing this film?
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:48 am

I vaguelly recall a cartoon miniseries in the late 80's about a kid on some sci-fi world with a shield device that could also be thrown, or ridden on like a hoverboard, probably other things too. It sticks in my craw because the network played the first 4/5 in order, but on day 5 they played a previous episode again and never finished the damn thing.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:59 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Anybody else remember seeing this film?

Yes, I remember it, my aunt gave me the VHS copy they had of it when I was a child.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:This thread got me thinking... Years ago before the Star Wars prequels were even a thing, I remember watching a mysterious 4th Star Wars film called The Ewok Adventure. It was about a couple of human kids teaming up with a tribe of ewoks on the forest moon of Endor to rescue their parents from a giant monster. IIRC, some really disturbing and freaky stuff happened along the way. Well, tonight I did a Google search to make sure I hadn't dreamed up the whole thing, and... it actually exists!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravan_o ... _Adventure

Apparently it also spawned a sequel I never even knew about. Anybody else remember seeing this film?

I saw it as a kid and remembered it was "Star Wars" and as "some other Star Wars film" and tracked it down a year or so ago to rewatch. Turned out it wasn't quite like I remembered, had some weird almost docu type narration and was actually quite difficult to watch as an adult. I sure didn't remember the ewok looking so damn freaky as it did when I was a kid. The eyes... nightmare fuel. Maybe there were two of these peripheral movies, and my memories are from both or just one, I don't know.

Edit: yup, there were two, Caravan of Courage and Battle For Endor, 1984 and 1985 respectively. I wonder if I actually saw the sequel... my memory from childhood is the most solid but we're talking some time here.
Last edited by Ieyasu on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:21 pm

Pretty sure that there was an ewoks cartoon years ago, maybe thinking of that?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:24 am

There was a cartoon, but there were also two live-action films. The first of those two is the one I saw.
[Redacted]

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Thankfully I do not remember experiencing the Holiday Special.
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Return to “Film and Video”