Fire Emblem Franchise

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Fire Emblem Franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:02 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Also I'm going to hook up with Camilla if that's at all possible.

yeah you can marry her, all characters are marryable except for kanna
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:07 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:yeah you can marry her, all characters are marryable except for kanna
Sweet. Can she be married by a female Corrin? If so... yuri time. :devil:
[Redacted]

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 am

Here you go, North America, have some more Fate stuff.

Europe? What’s a Europe?

grumble grumble

Oh yeah, SharpFE looks utterly horrendous.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:03 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Europe? What’s a Europe?

grumble grumble

Europe's getting it in May
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/03/fi ... pe-may-20/

and in a surprise for no one there is going to be a second wave of dlc

putting the third one in spoilers
SPOILER: Show
looking forward to the future of despair 2.0, can't wait to see the ultimate dude bro of Hoshido and the most punchable face in Nohr team up to kill the Disney princess

I'm also looking forward to persona and fire emblem's love child
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:18 am

I bought the game even after I swore I wouldn't and I'm having a bit of buyers remorse. Not just because I feel guilty for supporting such a terrible localization/censored product.

The core strategy gameplay is still sound, and I like that on principle. But the whole game just isn't as tightly designed as Awakening was, and I have to confess all the extra features, and branching paths wore me down after a while, and I don't know if it's the localization teams fault, but I don't find the majority of the characters as likable or compelling as the ones in Awakening.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:07 am

It both ray, the localization of the characters is TERRIBLE but the characters even in the Japanese version are not great.
To give an idea of how terrible said "localization" is without spoilers:
SPOILER: Show

That's right, they literally cut out the entire same sex shara support, that is just fucking lazy.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Where were the tumblrinas to protest that?

Ugh. I really hope that even with the Twitter Trust and safety council effing things up that Nintendo Treehouse gets some sort of comeuppance or reform, because if they keep butchering localizations, eventually people aren't going to bother buying nintendo product anymore.

But even with the censorship and half baked localization, both versions of the game sold together roughly 300,000 physical units in the states not counting the digital downloads, I should know I'm one of the suckers who bought it. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat May 21, 2016 5:19 am

Europe finally has Fates. Woot.
Purchased the download version. Initial impressions… aren’t great.

There’s no traditional Fire Emblem theme at the start menu/opening movie <grumble>
The opening movie ends on a bit of a whimper too.

The sprites seem to be especially small this time around; I’m having to squint into my 3DS XL to see anything. I pity the regular 3DS owners.
The dark and drab design of the Nohr environments during the early chapters were certainly no help. Seriously, why so dark?

The voice samples sound a bit fuzzy, maybe they needed to compress the files down more than last time? I don’t see any option to switch to Japanese audio. Why not? Strikes me as rude, that.

Smash Bros. has spoiled Corrin for me. I couldn’t enjoy customising the character before the start of a new game, I already have an image of how s/he’s supposed to look, and I can’t name him anything else besides “Corrin”.
Why can’t I charge a forward smash or counter-surge in this game?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:40 am

Before you get too excited, it's for a FE mobile game. Nintendo is likely trying to duplicate their success with Pokemon Go with their other franchises.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Finally started Awakening. It's much better than I was expecting (and my expectations for it were already pretty high). I thought I was going to have a lot of trouble with the combat gameplay, but it's much more fluid than it appears and the game does a decent job of explaining everything in the early levels. The only thing I'm finding difficult so far is allocating EXP, since most of my front line characters hog the kills and my long-range fighters like Virion and Miriel have hardly seen any action so far.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:07 am

Recently finished a play-through of the Conquest and Birthright routes, currently in the middle of Revelations. Here's a musing/opinion bomb on Fates:

The Prologue:

The branch of Fate comes way too soon. Although it is understandable that choosing Nohr/Hoshido had to come sooner rather than later from a gameplay perspective; story wise it just didn't work.
We aren't given enough time to bond with either of the royal families, so when it came time to make a decision- I didn't struggle with or feel any guilt in my choice. I wanted the more challenging game, so I chose Nohr. Sod those red-heads I just met...

Was I supposed to feel sad for Mikoto? I barely even had her name committed to memory before she was offed. Emmeryn, she is not.
Awakening/That's not funny  SPOILER: Show

This is very nit-picky- but I don't like the phrasing of the choice options:
To "defend" is justified and noble, to "fight" is aggressive.

They might as well have said:

I have to admit however- making the choice the second time was harder. After playing the first game with the Nohr units, it hurt a little choosing to side with Hoshido, knowing I'd be fighting against my old comrades...

========

Conquest:

My Conquest play-through was rough like sandpaper underpants. At times it felt like I was hitting L+R+Select almost as often as the A button. More than once I was prepared to concede defeat and switch to a lower difficulty.
It was frustrating, but that relief and accomplishment you feel when you finally clear a chapter: wonderful.
Ninja units with their damned poison skill can burn in hell. The lunge skill is stupid too, I hate it, stop screwing up my unit placement...

The chapters were kept interesting and challenging with the various applications of Dragon Veins, although some were a lot more annoying than others- particularly the chapter in the Wind tribe village, piss-off with the wind blowing around my units already...

One personal disappointment with my play-through was that I couldn't experiment with or vary my units much. The difficulty was so tough I found myself constantly having to rely on the highest levelled, pre-promoted units (usually the royals) for each chapter. A lot of units ended up being completely neglected.

The trip to Valla was rather pointless to the Conquest route, and Azura's fate at the end wasn't as sad or mysterious as it was annoying. The game might as well have said: "Story's not over, sucker. Buy the other paths."...which was probably the whole point, but still- a slap in the face is a slap in the face.

Replaying conquest on Normal difficulty (and with DLC) I was able to finally explore the characters better and unlock some supports. Peri must be the most morally deplorable ally I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem game.

"Murder is good, clean fun!" - Peri

========

Birthright:

I must strongly suggest to anyone choosing to play Birthright: play it on Hard Mode.
Maybe it's my overall experience with the FE formula or choosing to play the Conquest route first that hardened me somewhat, but I found the Hoshidan's campaign to be a walk in the park, even WITH hard difficulty.
Bear in mind that you can lower difficulty settings mid-campaign. You've nothing to lose, besides challenge.

Generally speaking- the Hoshido units are a far more colourful bunch (in the literal sense) and their unfamiliar class types like Diviners and Oni Savages make them fresh and intriguing.
Thanks to the plentiful "challenge" maps between story chapters, I was able to properly devote time towards levelling up and grinding relationships, getting a significantly better feel for each character compared to the conquest play-through. In the end- I had my favourite Nohr units, but they were my "squad". The Hoshido units however, were my "pals".

It was a pleasant play-through, like a jog on a sunny day. It just lacked that euphoria beating Conquest had.

========

General Good stuff:

• Galeforce has been downgraded and become harder to acquire. No more game-breaking, super-skill.

• Enemy units can come paired-up too. More challenge.

• Personalised forts/ Street-pass. It's a neat little feature. Especially helpful is the fact that you can acquire skills from other players and really buff your units. It's hilarious how many players name their forts "EZ skills", letting you know exactly where to look. Good community.
    People can be really stingy when it comes to gifting accessories however, and why? You still keep the accessory yourself, so be generous, you greedy bastards.

General Bad stuff:

• This game is sorely lacking Green and Pink haired characters.

• The child units.
    I deny them. Deep realms can sod right off.
    Married couples should have received some sort of unique, bonus skill upon S-supporting or something.
    Abandoning your children in an alternate dimension? The parents in Fates are dicks.
    I was looking forward to finally seeing for myself what the fuss was all about with Soleil, but oh- she's a child unit? I. Don't. Care.

• That ugly, featureless grey room.
    One silly part of Awakening was that the supports were always presented as taking place in the army barracks, even though many conversations made it clear that the characters were supposed to be outside/ by a cliff/ down a pit/ in a bathing tent etc. It would have been nice if the background image had at least reflected this... at least the image of the barracks had some charm to it.
    But who the hell thought this grey room was a good idea?:
    Did Intelligent Systems forget to pay the environment artist that day? Lordy...

• Corrin's story voice.
    I strongly suggest you switch off story voices in options as soon as you get the chance.
    Too many times the voice clips soured the story for me. Whenever a heart-breaking loss or sacrifice takes place, Corrin is told to buck up and continue fighting by his allies, and finding his composure he answers his allies with a nonchalant "Yes", like he was just offered a cup of coffee.
    Corrin sounded like an arse because of this and I never really came to like the character. Bad job, audio department. And seriously- why no dual audio?
I could list many more, little gripes, but don't get the wrong idea- I still enjoy the game.

========

Here's something fun to pick apart:

Character Popularity Poll  SPOILER: Show

https://mynintendonews.com/2015/11/29/h ... l-results/

Funny that Flora placed higher than Felicia. Was it the hair colour?
The butler is 4th place? Ha. Surprised Kaze wasn't top-3 on the men's side, he's clearly the hottest male.
Nice to see Camilla and Oboro at the top, but poor Orochi, she was one of my favourites. Same for Mozu, besides being a good unit I really liked her design. She hits the plain-cute balance just right for a country gal.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:26 am

Started a playthrough of Fire Emblem Awakening with the Same Sex Marriage mod found here:https://gbatemp.net/threads/fire-emblem-awakening-same-sex-marriage-more.404061/
It doesn't just allow same sex supports, it also adds entirely new conversations into the mix, Chrom is marrying Olivia because fuck you Sumia
I finally get to marry Tharja as Female Robin and it's pretty fuckin sweet.
Oh and Lissa gets to marry Maribelle like what should have always been in the game to start with.

The kids are slightly annoying to get because their stages are rife with crashes on this mod, you have to save a lot
When you actually get them you also have to edit your save so that siblings are registered as siblings, besides that though this is a really great mod.
There is another one for Fates too but..........ugh that means having to deal with Fates's writing again and awful parenting.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:17 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Chrom is marrying Olivia because fuck you Sumia

Is that how the conversation actually goes?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:23 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Is that how the conversation actually goes?

It might as well, I fully expected to see a crying Cordelia and Sumia in that support in the background.
Really I just don't like Sumia though, her daughter is like a much more interesting version of her so Sumia's rather lacking character is just made more obvious.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:28 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote: fuck you Sumia

I'm currently playing as female!Robin, aiming for Chrom as my spouse and yeah, fuck Sumia. I might not dislike her as much if the game didn't keep trying to emphasise how Chrom x Sumia is one of the devs' preferred ships, since it's the only pairing which is strongly enforced with dialogue and even a few 3D cutscenes.

It's a shame the same-sex mod is only for emulators, it's definitely something I would use if I had the option.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I'm currently playing as female!Robin, aiming for Chrom as my spouse and yeah, fuck Sumia. I might not dislike her as much if the game didn't keep trying to emphasise how Chrom x Sumia is one of the devs' preferred ships, since it's the only pairing which is strongly enforced with dialogue and even a few 3D cutscenes.

What's odd is that while Sumia is obviously the devs favorite, if you pair FeMU up with Chrom the story gets MUCH better than if Sumia married him since Sumia doesn't get nearly as much as Chrom/Robin do, you would think the devs would have shoehorned her in a bit more.

Also the mod isnt for emulators, it works on any hacked 3ds which is pretty easy to do considering all the games you can buy to hack it with.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 pm

:( I liked Sumia, and totally shipped her with Chrom but probably because the devs' preference for that pairing showed through.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Whenever a heart-breaking loss or sacrifice takes place, Corrin is told to buck up and continue fighting by his allies, and finding his composure he answers his allies with a nonchalant "Yes", like he was just offered a cup of coffee.

I just encountered this, and it was almost hilarious how bad it was. I figured you were probably exaggerating because so many of your other complaints about the game(s) turned out to be complete non-issues for me (such as the sprite size; they don't seem any smaller than they did in Awakening). But this one? Here Corrin just lost
Chapter 15  SPOILER: Show
Kaze, and after Ryoma tells him to buck up he goes from sobbing to a jarringly unfitting "Yes" just like Chaz described.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:the devs' preference for Chrom x Sumia showed through.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:it's the only pairing which is strongly enforced with dialogue and even a few 3D cutscenes.

Heh. What gave it away? The opening cinematic?

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:if you pair FeMU up with Chrom the story gets MUCH better than if Sumia married him since Sumia doesn't get nearly as much as Chrom/Robin do

True, although doing this does deny you the hilarious non-parent B support with FemRobin and Lucina.

Monk Ed wrote:sprite size; they don't seem any smaller than they did in Awakening

Yeah. I guess my eyes were still adjusting after having recently played Stella Glow.

@topic - I just cleared Revelations.
I was rather disappointed with the difficulty of this route. Revelations was supposed to slot between Conquest and Birthright on the difficulty scale, but it was practically identical to Birthright in terms of challenge: even on hard mode it was way too easily beaten.
The endgame only took me one attempt, and I did it with no fallen units and no eternal seals. Ryoma is OP.

It was nice to mix and match the units of Nohr & Hoshido, although my final squad ultimately ended up being a big, royal family party.
Oboro’s interactions with Benny and Beruka were particularly enjoyable; my favourite Hoshido unit getting over her hatred of Nohrians little by little reminded me of the rewarding Lethe & Jill/Ike supports from PoR.
The story was hardly…revelationary, but I switched off story voices this time, so thankfully- I didn’t hate Corrin this time!
However -and unfortunately- the Corrin & Azura relationship still didn’t really click with me, whether they’re pals or mates, romantic or platonic, the chemistry just isn’t there in any route. Robin & Chrom they are not.

Next time I play- I’ll try avoiding the streetpass perks. It’s just too easy to grab free skills and find yourself with a squad full of Astra-users without even trying.
Perhaps someday I’ll even get over my hatred of the child units and add those to my squad…

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Fire Emblem Direct 18/1/2017

Fire Emblem: Echoes (Shadows of Valtentia)
A third 3DS title. “Inspired” by FE: Gaiden. Liking the looks of this one.
Planned for release on 19/5/17… so a European release of 17/5/19, I guess.

Fire Emblem for Switch
…is coming, apparently.

Fire Emblem Warriors
For Switch and *new* 3DS. “Brought to you by the team behind Hyrule Warriors”.
My eyes can only roll back so far.
I played the 3DS demo of Hyrule Warriors. It was horrible. Painting it with FE colours won’t sway me.

Fire Emblem Heroes
For smart devices. Looks very fan-servicey.
You can vote for units to appear… or something… I don’t know, I’m just grabbing Nintendo account points:
https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”