Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:53 am

The site went down for a while due to a DDoS attack on the data center housing the Linode, Linode has informed me.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:46 am

I have a notification that will not leave, even when I viewed its source
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:48 am

Weird. I haven't changed the notification code. What is the notification a notification of?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:51 am

This
post/822416/The-headcanon-thread/#822416
I even marked them all read and yet it's still there
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:03 am

Sounds like the same thing that has left me with a fixed [1] PM notification, even when I've read them all.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:08 am

And now its suddenly vanished :huh:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:33 am

I dealt with the PM thing by clicking the "mark all messages read" option.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 am

Maybe it's just mobile but clicking the EvaWiki link does nothing today.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:09 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Maybe it's just mobile but clicking the EvaWiki link does nothing today.

It works at it should on my desktop (using Firefox).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Yep, EvaWiki link on mobile still just goes to/stays on the forums. :huh:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:32 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Yep, EvaWiki link on mobile still just goes to/stays on the forums. :huh:

Works for me. I'm on mobile right now. Maybe your browser is rejecting it because it's an https link using a self-signed certificate.
System Administrator

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:10 pm

I just tested it on my phone and can conform SSD's claims: the wiki link does indeed take me right back to the EGF homepage.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:11 am

Any of EGF's self-signed certificate stuff I have to give the OK on mobile or laptop so I don't believe it's that.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:33 am

:headscratch: Both of the browsers on my phone have no trouble with the link. What's everyone else using?
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:02 pm

I can confirm the issue on my phone; later this evening I'll have a look to see whether it's a consequence of my rearrangement of the main menu, which frankly seems the most likely cause - I've taken almost no account of the "responsive" part of the theme coding which rearranges stuff on small screens, so I could easily have got something wrong in there, or just plain missed it.

EDIT:
Completely mystified right now. Safari in iOS 9.2 shows the correct URL if I tap and hold the link. It loads it correctly if I say to load in a new tab, but not if I say to open in the same tab. The simple click action should be to open in a new tab, but this isn't happening either. Changing the link to http instead of https removes the obvious security message when the link is being opened but does not change the overall behaviour, so the certificate is not the reason for this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Something I noticed by chance: Trying to unsubscribe from a topic (Topic Tools next to Post Reply) gave me an AJAX error. Don't believe I get email alerts for topics these days so I'm not sure if unsubscribing via email link would work, anyway.

EDIT: Looks like it fixed itself? Leaving post here in case anybody else runs into this problem.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:13 pm

Some of those tools come up with an "insecure redirect" message and a page full of supporting diagnostics -- those have worked, but stumbled at the last hurdle trying to get you to an updated page.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 am

The URL rewrite extension I created doesn't play nice with some other pieces of the software, such as the AJAX stuff (a subject I don't know yet to boot). I once tried to figure out why it was breaking the moderators-only quicktools but gave up after hours without progress. It was hard enough to get working as it does now that I haven't been willing since to dive back in to try to figure out why it's breaking these other things.

Also so everyone knows in case I forgot to mention it anywhere else publicly, I'm on family vacation until the 9th. I'm actually posting from the condo we're staying at right now.
System Administrator

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Some of those tools come up with an "insecure redirect" message and a page full of supporting diagnostics -- those have worked, but stumbled at the last hurdle trying to get you to an updated page.
Basically, if you get this sort of thing (many file/line/call records omitted), whatever you did worked, apart from getting you to the page you wanted

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:29 pm

pwhodges pointed out to me a case where a topic page breaks partway through, causing a very obvious visual anomaly. It's the second instance I've seen of what turns out to be a result of closing BBCode tags in the wrong order. If you have a quote box that encloses a spoiler box, close that spoiler box before the enclosing quote, or it'll break the page.
System Administrator

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”