So, i played Kanon

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

So, i played Kanon

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:56 pm

I got Mai's route first. Just..what the fuck happened? I got really attached to the characters and then the ending was completely nonsensical. It felt like a cop out because they didn't know where else to go with the story. It wasn't a good mindfuck, either, because it felt completely forced and pointless. Am i missing something?

EDIT: and, i fingered it out like i was constipated.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: So, i played Kanon

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:07 pm

I haven't watched the 2006 anime since it was first out (or last played the VN in quite awhile), but IIRC, the anime takes Mai's story as the first "route" that happens, though I could be misremembering. I don't know how much that'd clarify anything for you.

The anime/VN having so many supernatural elements in it, I just took any craziness as is.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:55 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I haven't watched the 2006 anime since it was first out (or last played the VN in quite awhile), but IIRC, the anime takes Mai's story as the first "route" that happens, though I could be misremembering. I don't know how much that'd clarify anything for you.

The anime/VN having so many supernatural elements in it, I just took any craziness as is.

In the VN,
SPOILER: Show
MCbro finds out that the demons are manifestations of Mai's psychic powers, caused by her sadness over not being able to continue seeing him after he moves away. Mai promises that they and Sayuri will live together after they graduate, then she just stabs herself and dies in his arms. It then flashes back to when she discovered her powers, then cuts to her meeting MCbro for the first time, and she says that she's been waiting for him and hope he never leaves. It then shows Mai and Sayuri's graduation and MCbro moving in with them, despite that directly contradicting the fact that she just died.

My interpretation is that she somehow created an alternate timeline where he never moved away by killing herself, or that MC had similar powers and revived her by crying. Either way, it didn't make a lot of sense and felt really forced.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:54 pm

The series has a lot to do with
SPOILER: Show
people being reborn and second chances, in the VN's case, I think Yuuichi's love brought her back. I thought the 2006 anime had a similar scenario of her being revived, or she simply self-healed after that demon revelation.

Anybody else who saw the 2006 anime, please correct any points I missed. It's been forever for me since I last watched it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”