Shiki-Jitsu

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Pretty much, yeah. Shiki Jitsu is seriously one of the best art films to come out from Japan in last two decades (so is Love&Pop though that takes a bit more time/more views to get into).

I have nothing against Rebuild per se but I wish the project was already dealt with so Anno could either go back to:

- do small budget high quality art films far from mainstream
- launch new anime series with Khara - perhaps he could finally do his Galaxy Express 999/Yamatoesque space opera he wanted to do after Eva but couldn't.

In any case I want more new Anno. He couldn't possibly make NGE better even if he wanted to and while I think Rebuild has been good (in terms of quality) so far and it's fun to see new spins on the original series it gets me nowhere near as pumped as completely new, serious project would.

Whatever Anno's reasons for not doing more films like Love & Pop/Shiki-Jitsu, Rebuild ain't it. I mean, Shiki-Jitsu was completed in the year 2000. There's a whole lot of white space on his filmography. When he does make a new movie, what is it? Effin' Cutie Honey! And inbetween the Rebuilds, he found time to do "God Warrior" which is... once again about giant monsters.

Giant monsters aren't keeping him from art films, he's keeping himself from art films for reasons that are beyond us. Hey, I loves me some Anno giant monsters. That's my bread and butter. But I hope he puts them back in his tool box after his current project's brilliant conclusion.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:46 pm

"God Warrior"

Googled and got a load of stuff about some crazy woman on an american reality show. Great.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:51 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Whatever Anno's reasons for not doing more films like Love & Pop/Shiki-Jitsu, Rebuild ain't it.

The real reason is that Anno got happily married, of course. There's Anno interview from 2004 IIRC where he said re:Cutey Honey that it's the first film he made with audience in mind after making Shiki Jitsu and Love&Pop both "for himself" with not a single thought given for audience. With Cutey he actually was conscious of audience

Rebuild follows the same audience-centric pattern.

I don't really mind it that much, he can make new Gunbuster just as well as new Shiki Jitsu for all I care. I just want more entries into Anno filmography that aren't Eva!

I know Rebuild isn't direct cause or reason why Anno isn't making 2deep4me films to be shown at art museums (like SJ initially was) anymore but as long as this project goes on he doesn't have time for that even in principle.

Now having said that it doesn't mean Anno is completely unengaged with artfaggotry live films. He acted as producer for that one documentary recently, for example. So it's not like he has utterly removed all contact to those spheres.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:54 pm

I havent seen Shiki-Jitsu....in fact it's the first time hearing about it.What should i expect?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:07 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:I havent seen Shiki-Jitsu....in fact it's the first time hearing about it.What should i expect?

Why don't you google it?

I want to see Shiki Jitsu, but obviously I procrastinate on watching good films.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:21 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:I havent seen Shiki-Jitsu....in fact it's the first time hearing about it.What should i expect?

1. Eva without robots
2. As direct sequel to Eva as is possible (given Eva's autobiographicality)
3. Superb art direction and visuals

It covers a lot same ground Eva does thematically. Storywise it tells of nameless anime director returning to his hometown after getting exhausted with his biz who wants to do live action movie (needless to say the guy is Anno's proxy, initially he intended to act the part too) who meets this deranged girl who lives in fantasy laa laa land of her own.

See the trailer

Superb film. Gets better with more viewings, even.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry guys, I inadvertently caused a tangent. I'm splitting this into its own thread.

Proceed...

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 pm

God that trailer looks really good, it's a a must watch.
Anno uses the train motif in this one as well.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm

There's already Shiki Jitsu thread in related works section. Perhaps this should be merged with that

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Did not consider that. Done.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah, to anyone out there like me who was putting off watching it because you didn't think it would be a big deal: take the plunge! As has been said, it really is a spiritual successor to NGE. A lot of the same keywords come up, revealed in contexts that clarify Anno's definition of them ("dream"). Beyond the Eva connections, it's a great movie on its own terms. It pains me that he's only made two films with such kinetic visuals. Ironically enough, his animation tends to favor a locked down, static "camera" style, whereas his live action is much more fluid.

Until you see this film, your training is not complete!

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm trying to find a place to watch it. I clicked on links from earlier in the thread, and all I got was the FBI warning because the sites were shut down for pirating.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Try googling "Shiki-Jitsu [Dim].avi", anyway I'd like to remind that the Japanese DVD does have English subtitles.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Try googling "Shiki-Jitsu [Dim].avi", anyway I'd like to remind that the Japanese DVD does have English subtitles.

yeah it does. Good subs too (I own the release)

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:25 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:BUMP/EDIT: Does anyone know where to find the soundtrack? Or at least the end credits song and the song that plays when we see the footage of the director and the girl at the fair?

式日音集 (サウンドブック)[Shikijitsu Sound Collection (Sound Book)]- be happy. be happy. be happy.
artist: Kako Takashi
released by STUDIO KAJINO
Sample:
http://musicatono.com/escuchar/kako-takashi-03-03-e8/29a92f0

It's all I got. For the longest time I've been unable to actually find the album, ether to download or purchase.
Not who you think I am.

boringmonkey
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby boringmonkey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:49 am

I have found one online resource which you may easily find in those music sites. The album's name is Scene 映像音楽作品集1992-2001, the pianist's name is 加古隆 or Takashi Kako. The track related to Shiki Jitsu is 関係、心、描くもの. I can listen and downlaod it from a Chinese website, but it is impossible to visit from outside china. So you guys have to find it yourself. This album is well-known compare to the 式日音集(be happy.be happy.be happy) which is mentioned before, so I guess it wont be hard to find. Also, I somehow managed to buy this 式日音集 CD from a special channel, but it takes top to one month for me to get it.

Grandagon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grandagon » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Shiki Jitsu is one of my favorite films and I was so lucky to stumble upon it. It is such a pity it isn't more widely known.

Likewise with the soundtrack by Kato Takashi, the cd seems to have had a very limited release. I have managed to find a few of the tracks and combined them with some stills from the film and posted onto YouTube as a personal homage. You can view one here, https://youtu.be/X3wtlobqB0E

Could anyone point me to a site to buy the CD or download the tracks as MP3?
All the world's a stage

Humberto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Humberto » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:16 pm

View Original Postboringmonkey wrote:Also, I somehow managed to buy this 式日音集 CD from a special channel, but it takes top to one month for me to get it.

Would you be willing to share the music?
Nothing to see here.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”