Funimation: Evangelion 3.33 coming out February 2 2016

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:34 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Wrong, the re-dub was done Aug 2014, Funi has been sitting on it since then, my theory is they wanted to focus on promoting DBZ, as that is their golden egg laying goose.
Evangelion has been very profitable for them, IIRC 2.22 blu ray sales were beating the dragonball release Funi was doing at the time.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:30 am

I just hope the cover is that simple sky blue.

But I'm certain that nice sky blue is just a slipcover & beneath it will either be that famous Shinji & Kaworu image OR something marketable with the one of the girls.
As for the delay? Would not be surprised if there's some math to be worked about quarterly profits & best to hold off on Title X until Date Y to assure Quarter Z doesn't dip below Margin T so we'll delay Project ... Q.

Like someone else said, Evangelion is one of the few anime titles that is actually going to SELL real numbers. It's a title that can actually reach outside the usual small niche anime market.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:25 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^^ A novelty I'll certainly purchase. Like I said, I want that translated booklet. And I would also like to not have to plug in a computer to my TV overtime I want to watch Eva Q. That would be nice as well.

Me too! I've seen the movie a couple dozen times by now, but watching Eva dubbed after seeing it subbed is practically a whole new experience! I'm really curious to see if Funi's "more accurate" dub and subtitles influence the way the movie is received here in the west compared to UTW/Github's subs. Their original dub was one of the few where Asuka didn't tell Shinji to die!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:28 am

Even the (official?) Hong Kong subs say "let me kill you", so it'll be interesting to see the final "considered" rendering.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:39 am

You know, I totally forgot about that controversy in translation. That will probably be one of the first things I look at on the Blu-ray.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:53 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Um, it's not yet three years since Q came out in theatres. It'll be just shy of two years after the originally announced date for Funi's edition.

Still too long for a dub that was already finished tho.

Anyways thankfully we have it now, or rather will have it soon. Now I think I am going to take time and Rewatch 1.0 and 2.0 again, in English in time for 3.0 in English for the very first time.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:24 am

I'll never watch the dub because I despise the Eva dubs with every fiber of my being. But I didn't realize there was questionable translation as well. Ugh Funi.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:41 am

It's not just Funi, though. Parts of Q are very hard to translate, so all the translations we have are questionable in places. Whether you watch the dub or the subs, the new release will have translations approved by Khara; we hope that the translation difficulties will be resolved by this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Um, it's not yet three years since Q came out in theatres.

You're right, and the figure of four years is incorrect. That makes it a (still not) reasonable more than three years since the movie was in theaters! :tongue:

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:50 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It's not just Funi, though. Parts of Q are very hard to translate, so all the translations we have are questionable in places. Whether you watch the dub or the subs, the new release will have translations approved by Khara; we hope that the translation difficulties will be resolved by this.

Oh yes I'm not disputing that some of it's very hard to translate, more that I simply have a great deal of mistrust of Funi since they've been shown time and time again to just take ridiculous liberties with translations and generally change things.
That might only be applicable to their awful dubs than to their regular subs, though. (And I suppose I should have more faith in Khara since they did make Funi redo things.)
I'll buy it either way for the sake of having it and for convenience, mind you.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:59 pm

I could do with a new dub? The Japanese one has something like a super polite tone even when characters go insane, it kind of kills the moment. *runs to the nearest exit fullspeed*

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:08 pm

What's the Italian one like?

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:19 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:What's the Italian one like?

Super faithful to the Japanese one, so yeah overly polite in everything. I only watched 2.22 with the ita dub though. The fansubs differ in very few lines or words, I trust them with nte stuff.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Even the (official?) Hong Kong subs say "let me kill you", so it'll be interesting to see the final "considered" rendering.

In their first dub, she yells "Just lie down and take your punishment! Quit fighting!" in an exasperated tone.

Hopefully the new one tones down Mari's snark and sarcasm.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:14 pm

^ Well in the subs I saw, that line was something on the lines of "Shut up and die" or something like that, so I am very interested to see what the actual lines are in this movie.

May answer a few questions that we have had. But unlikely.

Now we just need 4.0....
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:59 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:^ Well in the subs I saw, that line was something on the lines of "Shut up and die" or something like that, so I am very interested to see what the actual lines are in this movie

Given the changes noted in Q's Groundwork books that would seem to be a very poor translation. The idea seems to be that Asuka's frustrated, not homicidal (and that artwork was deliberately changed to communicate that exact fact).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:33 am

Once Amazon puts up the page for the combo pack, I'll probably buy it. I can't resist a deal like that.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 am

I just want to know why the A.A. bullets were absorbed if the blueray/dvd stuff comes with new infos and stuff.

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:02 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Once Amazon puts up the page for the combo pack, I'll probably buy it. I can't resist a deal like that.

Any particular reason you want to make sure you get the DVD as well as the bluray? Just wondering since once I gained the capacity to play blurays, I didn't bother too much with DVDs anymore. Are there going to be worthwhile special features that are DVD only?

(Offtopic, I love your icon so very much. It makes me snicker every time I see it.)

HEALTH_DISCO
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HEALTH_DISCO » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:33 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Only took 'em more than four years.

Can't believe it's been 3 years already.

Evangerion Shin Gekijōban: Jo: 2007
+2
Evangerion Shin Gekijōban: Ha: 2009
+3
Evangerion Shin Gekijōban: Kyū: 2012
+4
Shin Evangerion Gekijōban:||: 2016

Believe !!!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”