Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

WHOSE DA BOSS?!? B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:12 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:I'll give notKamina 8 episodes before he dies.

Well, who leads the "coup" then? "MC" guy doesn't have the personality for it, girl sounds too idealz-y to have the stones for it.

I won't deny it happening eventually, but I'd be surprised if things were allowed to move at the same pace as GL.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:23 am

There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Rather not. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:52 am

^ Let the narrative determine the space.

Rather a good story told in 25, than a lean story stretched with fluff to last 50.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Rather not. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:04 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:^ Let the narrative determine the space.

Rather a good story told in 25, than a lean story stretched with fluff to last 50.

Some shows like Gundam need a big number of episodes to fully develop the characters and the themes of the story.

Look how G turned out. I am pretty sure that if G was 50 episodes long it would be one of the best Gundam shows. It's biggest problem was the confusing fast paced story without explaining almost anything.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:14 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Some shows like Gundam need a big number of episodes

Gundam is too broad to make that generalization.

08th MS Team didn't need 50 episodes, it just needed better adherence to the things it was advertised to be (a story about grunts fighting the war; the average joe's perspective).

Unicorn didn't need 50 episodes.

War In a Pocket didn't need 50 episodes.

Gundam 00 didn't need 50 episodes (the 1st season was more or less engaging and works as its own story. The 2nd season is pretty much awful.)

Gundam is capable of tight storytelling, and since other mecha anime can make it work, it wouldn't have an excuse even if it had never done so. Furthermore, as Seed, Gundam Wing, and AGE demonstrate, breadth can result in just more obtuse use of space.

Look how G turned out. I am pretty sure that if G was 50 episodes long it would be one of the best Gundam shows.

I'm pretty sure it failed because Tomino turned in a half effort, falling back on writing habits rather than real process, or for that matter, learning more modern story telling tools to better counter his own weaknesses. He admitted himself that he gave too much attention to the animation, and not enough to the story.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:05 am

I kind of want to get into gundam, the mecha and character design put me off a bit and that's me, but then I read it has tons of tv shows and Idk what to pick.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:03 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Gundam is too broad to make that generalization.

08th MS Team didn't need 50 episodes, it just needed better adherence to the things it was advertised to be (a story about grunts fighting the war; the average joe's perspective).

Unicorn didn't need 50 episodes.

War In a Pocket didn't need 50 episodes.

Gundam 00 didn't need 50 episodes (the 1st season was more or less engaging and works as its own story. The 2nd season is pretty much awful.)

In case you didn't notice all the Gundams you posted are OVA. That's why the creators adapted to OVA standards so you can't mix them all up just to say a show like Gundam doesn't need 50 episodes.

Zeta Gundam proves you otherwise. Also, yes, Gundam 00 needed 50 episodes and it got 50 episodes. The fact that season 2 turned out bad (in your personal opinion and i don't agree with you) has nothing to do with it.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:35 am

View Original PostDima wrote:In case you didn't notice all the Gundams you posted are OVA. That's why the creators adapted to OVA standards so you can't mix them all up just to say a show like Gundam doesn't need 50 episodes.

What? What exactly is the practical difference between an OVA series and a tv show, other than length? My Gundam knowledge is pretty limited but as far as I know each Gundam is its own show, so generalizing them like that makes no sense.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:16 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:What? What exactly is the practical difference between an OVA series and a tv show, other than length?

-Length
-Budget
-Animation
-Pace
-Staff has plenty of time to work instead of having to make a new episode every week

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:My Gundam knowledge is pretty limited but as far as I know each Gundam is its own show, so generalizing them like that makes no sense.

No, what you are saying makes no sense. I didn't generalize anything. I even said that TV Series, OVA and movies are different. Read better.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:46 am

View Original PostDima wrote:-Length
-Budget
-Animation
-Pace
-Staff has plenty of time to work instead of having to make a new episode every week

All technical differences that don't necessarily affect the story, which is ultimately what should determine the length of a series.

No, what you are saying makes no sense. I didn't generalize anything. I even said that TV Series, OVA and movies are different. Read better.

I was referring to your previous comment, that shows like Gundam need a bigger number of episodes to work. That's a pretty broad generalization.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:54 am

It'll be nice to see a Gundam series with tighter pacing, honestly. Most of them suffer from some serious bloat, even those that are otherwise pretty good.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:20 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:All technical differences that don't necessarily affect the story, which is ultimately what should determine the length of a series.

All the things i wrote, except the animation, can influence the story

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I was referring to your previous comment, that shows like Gundam need a bigger number of episodes to work. That's a pretty broad generalization.

Then you should have quoted that one. And all i did was saying my opinion.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 am

View Original PostDima wrote:In case you didn't notice all the Gundams you posted are OVA. That's why the creators adapted to OVA standards so you can't mix them all up just to say a show like Gundam doesn't need 50 episodes.

I can, because there's no reason a story from an OVA can't work in a standard series, especially if were talking about a series only one or two cours long. OVA refers to the animation effort, not the writing quality, which in this franchise is mixed anyway.

Zeta Gundam proves you otherwise.

ZZ disproves it, what's good about that story was told in the latter half. If it had started with the bloat in the first arc far more streamlined, or even just absent, it would have been far better for it.

Also, yes, Gundam 00 needed 50 episodes

It didn't, Season 1 is a self-contained story. The main villain and rival were both defeated, we had completed character arcs, the "good guys" assets were largely destroyed, and the central driving plot line (get the world united against "us") was resolved.

New plot lines, new villains, new Gundams, new lead characters, new drama (and a rebirth of the rival) all had to be derived for the 2nd season to take off. Save for having the same MC, structurally Season 1 and 2 of 00 is like going from Zeta to ZZ.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:18 am

View Original Postunz wrote:I kind of want to get into gundam, the mecha and character design put me off a bit and that's me, but then I read it has tons of tv shows and Idk what to pick.

Go to the very first page of this thread. There, you find a guide written up by Fireball (I think) about each series and whether it is right for you. I don't know if it's still active, but there was a link to a quiz to determine which show is right for you.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:57 am

awesome:0

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:09 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I can, because there's no reason a story from an OVA can't work in a standard series, especially if were talking about a series only one or two cours long. OVA refers to the animation effort, not the writing quality, which in this franchise is mixed anyway.

No you can't. OVA doesn't refer only to the animation effort but also to the writing quality in terms of pacing. For example a Unicorn TV series adaption could never work with fewer than 50 episodes. And before you say the contrary UBW first was adapted into a movie and now is a well received 26 episode TV series, with some episodes having a duration of 48 minutes.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:ZZ disproves it, what's good about that story was told in the latter half. If it had started with the bloat in the first arc far more streamlined, or even just absent, it would have been far better for it.

ZZ is basically the ''third'' season. Zeta Gundam is a sequel to the well received Mobile Suit Gundam so you shouldn't have brought it up.
Last edited by Dima on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:26 am

Biscuit
Cookie
Cracker

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:43 pm

they must have had some crazy bakers as parents
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:51 pm

Ratings aren't good for Blood Orphans at all but this shouldn't be news. Gundam TV ratings are on decline since Gundam 00. For reference before Blood Orphans, the timeslot was taken by Arslan and it was having very good ratings making it in the the top 10 many times especially in the last episodes.

It's clearly that this style of Gundam isn't what the Japanese audience wants. I can't see the BD/DVDs sales being better either. This leaves only Gunpla but is it enough? Sunrise should go back and take notes from Gundam Seed/Destiny/00 otherwise they will be forced to turn Gundam into an OVA exclusive series. I don't even know if this will help considering all the recent OVAs that sell huge amounts cover the UC which is a big card for the audience but sooner or later they will run out of material to adapt.

Gundam anime is in decline (again) and the future isn't looking very bright......

Hope Sunrise will come up with something good in the future.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:59 am

Episode 3: I get the feeling Mika is a more friendly version of Heero, and he actually shoots too.damn...
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “Anime and Manga”