Gaming Press Stuff

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Gaming Press Stuff

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:39 am

Older than old but I still want to share
http://tevisthompson.com/on-videogame-reviews/

Discuss?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:35 am

What's to discuss? The problem of fully embracing subjectivity as the ultimate virtue is that nobody has any reason to care what anyone else has to say.

That's just, like, his opinion, man.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:42 am

There's something to be said for, "A lot of other people have this opinion. Might I have this opinion too?"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:00 am

That article ends:
I want gaming to revel in dissent. We should marvel at a medium that allows us such room to play, to explore, to bring ourselves to bear on the experience and make it our own. A good review will honor this. It will say: This is what it was like for me. And in doing so ask: Now what was it like for you?

But a bad review or even a sycophantic one can have that effect too; it is only necessary for the reader to retain some individuality of thought and a degree of scepticism.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:12 am

There is an objective quality to how good a work of art is, and a subjective quality to how much an individual likes it.

For example, i like Evangelion more than Cowboy Bebop, but i think Cowboy Bebop has objectively better qualities. I also enjoy the Shadow the Hedgehog video game, despite it being pretty mediocre objectively. A good review explains both the objective reasons a work is good or bad, along with the subjective reasons the reviewer likes or dislikes it.

If i were to review Bioshock, i'd talk about how it's objectively a great game, but, for several reasons, i simply didn't like it. That said, if something is objectively good, people are more likely to like it from a subjective standpoint, and, conversely, the opposite is true; something objectively bad will de disliked by more people.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:20 am

brb I upgraded my pc and I forgot how it feels. Going to reinstall everything.

@thedonutking he pretty much argued the objective stuff one comes up with is a way of not engaging. I'd agree if you came up with your values and stuff
@pwhodges I don't think that excuses critics from their responsabilities regarding toxic followers-

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”