Who's most to blame for 3rd Impact?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:38 am

Yui
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:27 am

No.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:26 am

Yes, times infinite + 3.0 + 1.0.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:51 am

Knock it off. Either actually support your position or don't bother stating it, and just saying 'no' is useless.
Last edited by NemZ on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:50 am

Anno's (i.e. God's) depressive issues.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:04 am

WE'RE to blame for Third Impact, for our expectations for FANSERVICE. :devil:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:25 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Knock it off. Either actually support your position or don't bother stating it, and just saying 'no' is useless.
View Original PostLavinius wrote:F.D.R..
Confirmation.
Moreover, the fact that Seele's world government is the same as the one established by the late F.D.R. and his allies is another point in favor.
View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Stalin
Ja, also. One could object that Seele didn't make a move until after the Soviet Union had been eliminated so they must have been opposed by the Soviets, but that's contradicted by the CI. More likely they had elements on both sides of the Cold War (obviously they had them, as they were running the Allies) and were waiting for one side or the other to win, the victory of either side being acceptable.

Running further with that, and even more likely, the Cold War was an instrument to get the world's economic, technological, and military-strategic situation in line for what Seele wanted to do with Second Impact and their seizure of the world.

A further question is what exactly Seele's "forces of opposition" were that they defeated in WWII. Possibly a reference to the old Hitler-trying-to-find-the-Lance-of-Longinus-&c. meme, or just the fact that violently nationalist states are hardly compatible with Seele's internationalism.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

mehdi_saada
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mehdi_saada » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:05 am

Humanity's self destructive impulses are to blame.
The Second Impact would have happened eventually, but without fail-safe mechanism to save us. For the Third, Seele is directly responsible, but only as perhaps the crystalisation of mankind's madness and awareness of its hollowness. If Seele is the best embodiment of theses death impulses, it isn't at all directly responsible for the need to induce a Second Impact, as billions deads are better than the entire human race. Plus, Rei, who had her own soul mixed in the most part of consciouness of each and every damn human, has absolutively not invalidated in her speech in EoE Seele's first reason to act, that is our hearts being made of straw and flawed. She just said there was another solution for that fact to change. Rei and Yui were right in their actions, as eventually the human race would have killed itself, as our hearts were empty and cold, hardly able to continue on living. Third Impact needed a tight agenda so that not ending exterminating us, but eventually, it was the sole way to let people start understand and love each other :heart: :glomp:
It was a splendid metaphore of our real current world situation. But I wonder what would be a real trigger for a global scale change of that kind.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Who's most to blame for 3rd Impact?

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Well who's to "blame"? Well, I guess SEELE, but they planned third impact. So, with that said, I think Shinji is the one to really blame. The motherfucker didn't want to do anything, but he eventually did. He piloted the EVA, he let his ego barrier to be vanished, he didn't do a thing to actually avoid the situation, even when he could. So, I can't blame SEELE, they are the bad people. I blame the good guy for not facing the bad guy...
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Definitely SEELE, and Gendo is to blame too.
They both work together to bring about Third Impact as part of their Human Instrumentality Project. And worst of all, they manipulated Shinji to become their impact trigger, and many others to further their goals; everything that has happened was all part of their scenario, and no one saw it coming. They were toying with human lives as if they were their chess pieces. Gendo left Shinji so that he would be broken enough to bend him to his will and eventually have him set off the Third Impact.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Rei was raised to believe TI was a good thing & seemed to be genuinely undecided. It's possible that she just wanted to go back to Lillith before anything else, or that she wanted to check out what Shinji was screaming about/ make sure he was OK, using the only available vehicle as she was in the process of turning into goop.
She seemed to see the point in why Lillim existence has its shortcommings (see the whole "emptinss fills their hearts" dialogue as she tangs everyone - her time on Earth wasn't too much fun) but also seems to urge Shinji to consider the other side ("Then what is your hand for?") and in the end it doesn't seem to wrong to leave a decision about humans to an actual human who's been humaning for longer than Rei has.
Wouldn't call him an expert either but he was in an EVA at the time and it was him or Gendo.

Shinji can be said to have some level of moral responsibility at least as far as he personally is concerned though there's plenty of exonorating circumstances, like, I doubt he'd be convicted if there were trials after society resumed (unless it got witchhunt-ey) - the ritual was going on all around him and he was basically like "Fuck it all, this world sucks, lets go along with it" but once he gave instrumentality a fair & square chance he concluded that it sucks even worse.

Like, the question as to wether it's a good thing or not was worth considering, though Shinji can well be faulted for not asking anyone out of what was objectively butthurt. Then again was there the option? Ovsly first do no harm/ don't do crazy drastic things should have applied I'm not saying it's justifiable let alone right.

Most of the blame would fall to SEELE and the elder Ikaris, however well-intentioned the later two may have been (after all even SEELE things they're doing everyone a favor) and to a lesser degree their associates & agents insofar as they were in the know (Fuyutsuki, Ritsuko etc.)

Misato did the best to stop the whole mess & got shot for her troubles so let's leave her out of this.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”