Recent Staff Changes

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 pm

I can attest to that. Best wishes for your life ahead, Rei-chan! :kampai:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Thanks, Ursus! :glomp:

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:For those wondering, this was a mutual and peaceful agreement.

I did it voluntarily, but not happily. If that makes any sense.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:43 pm

This may be a bit indelicate to bring this up (although I feel like it's relevant time to do so given recent staff changes) but what's the deal with Fazmotron and his moderator status? He hasn't even logged on since June of this year and he hasn't even posted anything since January. It just sort of perplexes me that we have a moderator who doesn't seem to do anything (he may be active backstage, but he feels like a nonentity at this point which makes me wonder why he's still a mod) and whether or not there are any viable options to replace him.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:57 pm

I don't think it's usual to remove mod status from someone simply on account of extended absence. Where I'm admin, there are a couple of mods and an admin who haven't been around for over a year, but we'd welcome if they returned and are happy to keep their seat warm. I think it's sufficient to say that the staff here can decide whether they are too thinly spread, and take steps to get more help in if they feel the need.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Staff status isn't like employment -- it costs us nothing to keep inactive staff on. Sachi, to name one example, spent a long, long time being essentially absent, but one day he returned and got back into the saddle with little fanfare.

We don't really have any kind of policy one way or another, though, and it's been floated here and there that maybe we shouldn't let inactive staff just hang around creating a false impression, or otherwise signal somehow who's actually around on a regular basis. After all, in the rules we do say that you should PM staff for this or that, so who knows how many such PMs are sitting in Fazmotron's or anyone else's inbox going unanswered.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:40 pm

I don't think that's a major problem - it's far more likely that a forum member wanting to PM one of the staff would choose to contact an active staff member about an ongoing issue than one who hasn't posted in several months. If any such issue regarding urgent and unanswered PMs arises, we could just as well switch to emailing them.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:42 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:We don't really have any kind of policy one way or another, though, and it's been floated here and there that maybe we shouldn't let inactive staff just hang around creating a false impression, or otherwise signal somehow who's actually around on a regular basis.

This is something like what I had in mind. Some sort of indicator that a staff member is away so to avoid misunderstandings and what not. I just feel it's a bit misleading to have a moderator who hasn't been around in three months without having any sort of indication that they're for all intents and purposes, inactive.
Movin' Right Along

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:23 pm

We do regularly keep track of which members of the staff are active/semi-active/inactive, and use it mostly for monitoring our coverage as a team and determining if we need extra help at all. Although, that didn't really start until recently.

When contacting a staff member, the first person to go to is usually the one that's online or was most recently online. I don't think anybody would mistakenly contact Fazmotron with forum matters without being aware that he'd been absent for some time.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Yeah, I don't think there's any danger of anyone becoming confused on this front, so I don't really see the problem. Moderation is a service, not a duty, so best not to make it more burdensome than it already is IMO.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:50 pm

Did Shinoyami65 suddenly become a mod when nobody was looking? (I see there's no green boxes, but...)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Shinoyami and BobBQ have gotten access to our special "training" subforum for new moderators. We'll let you know when we've settled their assigned "beats". (Damned bugged software)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:03 pm

My hearty congrats to the two of 'em! I'm sure they'll do a fine job once they settle into their assigned positions.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Sorry for the confusion and delays, guys, but there seems to be some kind of software bug that's messing things up for the new moderator permissions.

EDIT: BobBQ is now a mod for the OT subforum. We'll make a full announcement about who's going to moderate what for the time being after we've fixed the bugs.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:14 pm

They've been brought on due to a near-term shortage of manpower, but the permanence of their positions is up in the air, so I prefer to think of them as moderator interns. They might wind up honorably discharged after a period of time. We run into "too many chefs" issues so as a condition of bringing them on to help me out (as the only fully active administrator right now), unlike full staff, we won't be expecting them to weigh in on administrative decisions.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:18 pm

I think both will make fine additions to the forum staff. Welcome aboard, guys!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Welcome aboard fellas! :D
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Good to hear that. I think we needed some new recruits around here. Hope everything goes smoothly.
Movin' Right Along

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:14 am

Congratulations you two! :asuka_thumbsup:
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm stepping down as an administrator. I am tired and exhausted, I have far more to do in real life, and my obligations here have kept me around for longer than they should. I have plenty to be angry about - but I also have a proper life to lead.

EGF has been an internet home and a support for me since 2007, and I've been a mod since early 2008. For over 8 years now, I've seen this forum grow and develop and I've come to take an active part in it. I've done all I can for it, and perhaps I have done all I could do. My interest in Evangelion is flagging, and my interest in moderation and administration has started to take on a distinctly sadistic tinge in the absence of anything constructive to be gained.

I know many of you here like me and that many of you here hate me for my actions as well, in some cases justifiably so, in some cases not. Whatever it be, what happens on this forum doesn't carry over to real life and stays here. To those whom I've genuinely wronged: I'm sorry I wasn't a better admin.

There's a lot going on that I think could be better, perhaps, but good intentions don't always lead to good results, and can lead to poorly considered actions. I have plenty to anger me and disturb me in real life and I don't want to carry that baggage onto this forum. Enough is enough.

Goodbye to everyone - without any sarcasm or prejudice - and good luck. :asuka_thumbsup:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Best of luck in your real-world endeavors, Ursus! And hey, I might be in the area in the next couple of weeks. You and I can go grab that coffee we've been talking about sometime.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”