Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:56 am

Well, at 52% and with God-knows-how-many-hours, I got the Truth ending tonight, so I guess that means I've beaten the game (most of it at anyway).

SPOILER: Show
After hearing the results of Eli's DNA test, I pretty much figured the ol' Body Double/GZ Medic as Big Boss theory was a shoe-in (my pet hypothesis the past few months was that Medic would become Solidus as a memetic clone of Big Boss as opposed to a genetic one, even though that doesn't jibe with MGS4), but it was still something of a massive shock playing through the Truth version of the hospital mission; with the simple twists of initially showing the avatar/Ahab's face in the mirror reflection and the difference with the photographs, it completely flips the whole game on its head. I kind of wish I hadn't been so embroiled in the fan speculation leading up to the game so that ruse could've put my head one a one way trip to I'VE JUST BEEN FUCKED-VILLE. Some people definitely just had their worlds rocked, man. Ahab's grin when he's listening to Ishmael's tape at the end is perfection itself.

Oh, and Quiet? That turn of events punched a perpetual hole through my fucking heart. The game just feels so empty now. Her pictures don't even hang in the ACC anymore...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:29 am

@Monk: Funny enough, you can unlock that certain character as early as chapter 1, like we have in our second playthrough. I really hope you'll reply to the spoiler'ed discussion you've missed, once you complete the game. I love hearing your thoughts ^_^

@Blue Monday: Check out my previous posts about
End  SPOILER: Show
[s]Chapter 3[/s] Ending 4. And did you expect anything less from Big Boss, The Man Who Sold the World? ;)

Regarding Quiet: People are still surprised that a straight 50-year old businessman wanted a sexy-looking girl around? :lol: Her personality is what shines through to me, not her bra/pantyhose. And I found the "you'll feel ashamed" reveal to be pretty flimsy, although I love her characterization, so I don't really care about her outfit...but to be fair, I would find it somewhat embarrassing to ever own a figure of her. Polite company would certainly raise their eyebrows compared to the normal/cutesy Sailor Moon (they can look sexy, but are generally cute) and Mario goods of ours :lol:

But heck, once your buddy bond's high enough, she can
Outfits  SPOILER: Show
Wear the XOF uniform from the opening, though that goes against her story of her skin needing to breath. Her silver and gold outfits are pretty funny IMO, and Sniper Wolf cosplay was a great easter egg!

Oh, and Kojima DID flat-out state he wanted a sexy character to sell figures.

Either way,

Thoughts on her via END game  SPOILER: Show
We love her so much that A Quiet Exit won't be occurring in this second playthrough. :lol: Might've been brutal but she was trying to help the poor guy with the parasite. Yet her looking after the child soliders, her love coming through for Venom Snake when most needed, it was just so touching. Her words actually help heal, instead of brutally kill (like in the opening). Quiet just does as she wants, she doesn't let fate or circumstances chain her, like it does so many other MGS characters. And if you do mess with her just because of her looks or just because she's a female soldier...Well, be prepared for a stab in the dick.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:48 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:We just think it's silly, and that there are better ways he could have done that (particularly since he has done that with other characters in the past).

I admit the whole 'breathes through her skin' thing was pretty flimsy, and probably not enough to make people 'ashamed' as pre-release hype led us to believe. I guess we should be glad we can make her throw some clothes on in the mid-to-late game and just gloss over that little plot contrivance.

One non-Quiet example of sexualisation in the game that I thought was weird and possibly unnecessary was

Mission: Code Talker  SPOILER: Show

The female Skulls, who get chest and butt close-ups in their intro for no real discernible reason, on top of being zombies.
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:55 am

While I agree with people on both sides of the Quiet's depiction argument, I find it really funny that people on a forum about Evangelion have issues with fan service and figure/cosplay cash in.

I do hope we can talk about the rest of the great discussion points the game has to offer than going round and round on this one.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:59 am

^Moving away from the maypole of controversy,

Mission 51  SPOILER: Show

Do you think that the cut mission 51 counts as a canonical event? It would certainly fit well a lot of the end-game events (such as Skull Face stating that the fourth sample of the parasite was 'close to [Snake]' and melds with Liquid's later characterization, but it isn't really clear whether it actually happened or not.

And I'm nothing like you

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Since
[s]Chapter 3's[/s] Ending 4's a real thing, see above & my other posts in-thread
then I don't see why
Mission 51 can't be canon either, since it was cut (for time?) by Konami.

Though the fan comic Zap posted awhile back is also part of my personal head canon, along with these two things.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:18 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:^Moving away from the maypole of controversy,

Mission 51  SPOILER: Show

Do you think that the cut mission 51 counts as a canonical event? It would certainly fit well a lot of the end-game events (such as Skull Face stating that the fourth sample of the parasite was 'close to [Snake]' and melds with Liquid's later characterization, but it isn't really clear whether it actually happened or not.

There were actually 3 samples. The "close to you" one was Quiet. Skull Face intended to use her as the vector, hence her silence. The one Mantis stole was the one of the two Venom tried to destroy. I think 51 is pretty close to being canon, and was probably not fleshed out and explored because Konami had their falling out with Kojima and the game had to be pieced together from what was there.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:26 pm

^
I do feel that it probably has to be considered canon to explain away what happened to the parasites Mantis stole, as well as the fate of Sahelanthropus.

And I'm nothing like you

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:48 pm

Yeah, I'd say that's the best way to explain that plot point.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Tweaked my post due to new, spoilery, content at bottom.

My thoughts on the mission still stand that:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:It does piss me off that Konami(?) didn't allow Episode 51 to be finished, but at least it's on YouTube for those without the LE release. Episode 51 would've been an excellent mission, post-True End gameplay.

I mean, just the feelings it would have given the player, that
End  SPOILER: Show
Your truth's been revealed, you lost Quiet and Eli, but your story and missions aren't over yet--would've been so powerful, IMO.

Although this game's just awesome seeing as one of the developers (I believe) on Twitter commented they're 100% and there's still things to be done!

Such as, something new I kept on alluding to in my previous posts, which somebody uploaded (accessed by messing about with their PC files):

If you want to figure out on own, DON'T read new-ish massive  SPOILER: Show
This 4th ending, which is real, and which does include that audio mentioned towards The Boss. Now, maybe ending 4 was originally meant to be part of "Chapter 3: Peace" within the game's files? Who really knows. Kojima had to work with what files he had (e.g. No Mission 51, Chapter 3, etc) since Konami gave him the boot and all. I love the game as-is, but would've welcomed more Kojima-approved content. Anyway:

Konami has been taking down any Youtube videos related to Ending 4, because it's meant to be an FOB mode end you get as a community, disabling each other's nukes--Kojima's right this is something never done before! This is one powerful ending. Gave me chills as much as Truth End did.

All the juicy details, video included, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3lgevj/tpp_spoilers_a_hidden_cutscene_practically/

More and more, the combination of the open world gameplay alongside the pretty graphics and storyline is making MGSV (GZ and TPP combined) my favorite MGS game. Before V came along, I liked them all equally, though 4 was excellent for the storyline and pure fan service (Metal Gear on Metal Gear fight? Hell yeah!).

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:35 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
If you want to figure out on own, DON'T read new-ish massive  SPOILER: Show
This 4th ending, which is real, and which does include that audio mentioned towards The Boss. Now, maybe ending 4 was originally meant to be part of "Chapter 3: Peace" within the game's files? Who really knows. Kojima had to work with what files he had (e.g. No Mission 51, Chapter 3, etc) since Konami gave him the boot and all. I love the game as-is, but would've welcomed more Kojima-approved content. Anyway:

Konami has been taking down any Youtube videos related to Ending 4, because it's meant to be an FOB mode end you get as a community, disabling each other's nukes--Kojima's right this is something never done before! This is one powerful ending. Gave me chills as much as Truth End did.

All the juicy details, video included, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3lgevj/tpp_spoilers_a_hidden_cutscene_practically/

Wow. I didn't need more reminders of the big hole Konami has dug for themselves, but I can't help but wonder how much more awesome the game could have been with the cut content included.

And I'm nothing like you

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:00 pm

There's already two online factions forming around that particular ending (concerning nukes):

The Philanthropists are actively trying to disarm all nukes, while the Patriots are actively resisting the disarmament by any and all means necessary. Yes, these are spontaneously created player factions.

Mind...blown.

ZapX: Last thing I'll say on it: I don't really care for the fanservice in Evangelion, either: I feel it clashes with the overall themes, even in the lighter moments. Plus, I'm uncomfortable regarding fanservice that involves fourteen year olds. Despite that, I still like the series.

Kind of like how I'm excited about playing MGS V, but disappointed with a certain aspect of it.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:59 pm

So, some thoughts on Quiet that actually have nothing to do with how she's dressed!

Okay, so we get that incredibly compelling ending, and then she presumably wanders off into the desert somewhere to die. But my question is this: can the vocal cord parasites actually kill her? As I understand it the way they kill people is by invading the pulmonary tissue of the lungs, but . . . Quiet doesn't have lungs. So, what would the parasites do to her? I get that she'd still be a carrier and all, but would she necessarily die?

I'm still delving into the MG backstory, so the answer to this might be obvious. But I'm curious, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:37 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:So, some thoughts on Quiet that actually have nothing to do with how she's dressed!

Okay, so we get that incredibly compelling ending, and then she presumably wanders off into the desert somewhere to die. But my question is this: can the vocal cord parasites actually kill her? As I understand it the way they kill people is by invading the pulmonary tissue of the lungs, but . . . Quiet doesn't have lungs. So, what would the parasites do to her? I get that she'd still be a carrier and all, but would she necessarily die?

I'm still delving into the MG backstory, so the answer to this might be obvious. But I'm curious, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

The way I see it, I don't think the parasites would kill her as she's already covered in them (wolbachia isn't an option because it would kill her "ones that cover" as well). The reason she leaves is to protect the rest of the base and the boss from an outbreak. I don't think she necessarily wanders off to die, because the only place that says anything to that effect is the guidebook which isn't really an official source. She's listed in the staff roster as MIA rather than KIA or deceased. There's also the possibility of a mutation thanks to Huey's typical dumbassery. It's not really too clear on exactly what the reasons are, but her tape spells it out pretty well. She wants to protect her comrades and being around them, she's a liability, so she becomes another phantom pain.

Out of curiosity though, what's your background with MG? I'd recommend getting invested in all of them by watching or playing them before you get into TPP. A lot of things will make much more sense.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:01 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Out of curiosity though, what's your background with MG? I'd recommend getting invested in all of them by watching or playing them before you get into TPP. A lot of things will make much more sense.

My experience is pretty much nil, since I'm not much of a gamer. I'm cool with watching shit, though.

And thanks for answering my question. I like to think that means a good end is at least a possibility for her, even if it isn't likely.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:02 pm

A YouTuber named KefkaProductions has good "movies" of all the games. Definitely recommend them.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:37 pm

I have a soldier named Spunky Platypus. My life feels more complete now. Anyone else got any soldiers with wacky names they wanna share? Some codename gems in my 1,400-strong army are Howling Crab, Bastard Panther, and Flaming Cat. :lol:

More depressing ranting (and spoilers)  SPOILER: Show
On another subject, TPP is starting to make me nostalgic for Peace Walker and Portable Ops. Once I finished the story and began grinding for GMP to develop my remaining projects, I started to realize just how much more content there was in PW. For instance, vehicles. In TPP there's basically 2 of each type from what I've seen so far. In PW I remember there being about 4 of each type. Also, TPP removed helicopters from the vehicle list. This was a huge disappointment to me, because I was hoping to eventually capture a soviet gunship and use that as my ACC (I never liked the Huey helicopters that the Pequod is based on). What pisses me off is that they already had that awesome Morpho chopper all ready to go for that role in GZ, but they never even gave us the option to switch back to it in TPP.

Mother Base was also disappointing in some ways. It was overhyped in the gameplay videos where they talked about it being highly customizable. The only things you can actually customize are the platform color and the logo. Everything else about it is just like PW except it's a physical location and expansion is optional instead of automatic. They also talked about how you could interact with your soldiers. Yeah if you call punching them and choking them out interacting. Would it have been so difficult to program in a salute button? Friggin' Snake Eater had that, and that game was made 10 years ago! Speaking of the soldiers, there weren't enough of them walking around. I've got 1,400 troops, I expect to see all 1,400 of them busting their asses on the platforms! :devil: Do I always show up at naptime or something?

I loathe the auto-sort feature for new recruits and the inability to disable it. In PW I liked taking the time to get to know the new guys and place them in their respective units, reading each of their funny quotes (yet another thing I loved that TPP removed!) and even getting attached to some of them. In TPP Mother base is run like a machine. You fulton new guys in, they get automatically assigned to their units, and most of them you never see again or even have a clue who they are. Everything about TPP's Mother Base is just so automated and soulless. I don't even feel like I'm actually in charge of it, the place basically runs its damn self. This feeling is reinforced by Miller repeatedly bossing me around and telling me everything I can't do. "Don't kill child soldiers, Boss. Don't bring strange women back to base, Boss. Do this mission next, Boss. Hey Boss, I completely went over your head and ordered construction of a new platform, but I'm sure you'll love it. Boss, pick up the radio and call me every 5 minutes so I don't get insecure. Boss, do a barrel roll, it will amuse me." I honestly wish I could fire him in TPP, he is such a whiny ass.

Which brings me to another thing: All the returning characters except maybe Ocelot have been turned into assholes. Miller thinks HE runs Mother Base and plasters creepy posters everywhere without my consent, Huey has gone from being the nice nerdy guy who makes my bipedal weapons to being a nutjob who locked his own lover inside an AI pod and left her there to die, then sabotaged medical equipment to cause parasite mutations and basically gave the world's most dangerous nuclear weapon to a bunch of disgruntled child soldiers! At first I was sad that Chico, Amanda, and Cecile didn't return in this game, but now I'm glad they were left out of the story. Who knows what Kojima would have done to them!? He's already ruined everyone else I liked from PW.

And none of the features I was hoping they'd bring back from PO made it in, namely soldier renaming, wearing enemy uniforms, and squad mechanics. In PO you could rename your soldiers if you didn't like their code name, you could deploy up to 3 soldiers from your combat unit with you on missions (they would wait inside cardboard boxes until you took control of them), and each soldier you captured retained their original uniform. The last one was great for preforming recon because you could just switch to a soldier who wore the same uniform as the soldiers at the target facility and waltz about the base undetected unless you did something suspicious like crawling or fighting the others. Sadly none of these turned up in TPP.

Sorry for the long rant, but I really needed to get that off my chest. After 120+ hours in TPP and no new story to focus on, every little flaw is becoming more apparent and I'm starting to get burnt out on the game. I need to play something else for a while. But I really do hope Konami decides to do open-world Fox Engine remakes of PO and PW. If they made those I'd probably enjoy them even more than TPP.
[Redacted]

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:39 pm

It's funny; I feel exactly the opposite. The more I play the more fun stuff I find to do in the world and I'm falling in love all over again on the second playthrough.
Last edited by ZapX on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:46 pm

According to Reddit, someone has a dude named Blazing Roach :hitthetable:

@Bags: If you like stories in chronological order, I'd suggest:
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    MGS Peace Walker
    MGS V (Ground Zeroes & Phantom Pain)
    Metal Gear 1 & MG 2 Solid Snake
    MGS 1 (or Twin Snakes is fine too), 2, and 4 :sweat:

Anywho, that Youtuber's vids are an excellent refresher.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:43 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:
Do you think that the cut mission 51 counts as a canonical event?

Seeing as how it's still mentioned in the postscript chronology, I'd say definitely.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”