[Maybe Spoilers] Theory on the 4 adams

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:18 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:(Still required: explanation for why Mari said Rei would become [a vessel of Adam] if she didn't abandon the unit fast.).

I always took Mari's warning to mean that Rei would become absorbed into the Mark.09, rather than becoming her own unique vessel of adam.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If you look at the genga of Eva-01 getting speared and instantly reverting, it goes from clearly having two cores to only having a (now skewered) solar plexus-situated core.

And the mystery comes full circle! That's very helpful information, though! :asuka_thumbsup: I wish this stuff were more readily available or more obvious in the movie.

I did a google search for that particular genga without any luck, but I did find something very interesting in the site wiki! It's an illustration of Mark.06 either without the mask or with a different mask, before Anno revised it:

SPOILER: Show

There's an extra tier of "eye" slits on the unused face, but doesn't it look like someone took Mark.09's face, smooshed it flat and broke off the horn?

Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:50 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I always took Mari's warning to mean that Rei would become absorbed into the Mark.09, rather than becoming her own unique vessel of adam.

That probably makes the most sense, but the way it's phrased is so weird and unspecific. Nothing like "you'll cease to be human, or... whatever you are exactly" or "you'll be absorbed into the Eva". It's "you'll(?) become Adams no utsuwa". And it's never mentioned again (of course!).

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I wish this stuff were more readily available or more obvious in the movie.

Well, you probably shouldn't take my word for it, so here's a really crappy photo.

I suppose one could make the argument that, going by B6, BOTH cores spontaneously disappear. The bottom one should certainly be visible, and it isn't. Then again, this may just be an artifact of drawing the core(s) so small that the exposed circumference is equal to that of the Spear's shaft...

It's an illustration of Mark.06 either without the mask or with a different mask, before Anno revised it:

It's a different mask; you can still see the sutures holding it onto the face. I wouldn't get too excited about it, since it's just Seele's logo with the eyes changed up. (Mysterious that the top seventh eye is shut and there are two additional closed slits on the very bottom...) The resemblance to Mark.09's eye configuration is pretty superficial.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:45 pm

There's nothing we could glean from the picture for a revelation anyway; we already know the Vessel is related to the Adams. It's right in the name! :tongue: The similarity just interests me from a character design perspective. They could have drawn on this as inspiration for Mark.09's head, or it could be an amusing coincidence. Either way, I like that face more than the final version. It's very sinister.

Some more thoughts on the Vessel of Fanwank:
What if it's not a vessel for a disembodied soul, but rather it's a purely ancillary unit that's slaved to a living/awakened Adam, in this case Eva 13? It's not really a being in its own right, but a puppet of sorts that the Adam can possess or control in addition to its own body, similar to the way that Kaworu controlled Eva 02. A vessel through which that Adam (or any of them, I guess) can enact its will.

That would explain why they were using Rei as a pilot instead of having the Eva pilot itself; it isn't actually autonomous. It needs a pilot (either Rei or an Adam) to control it. It starts transforming into the Vessel form when Eva 13 awakens and it has a tightly packed, rapidly spinning rainbow halo just like Eva 13 does. Unit 01's was white and wispy and Mark.06's was purple and white mixed.

Stupid Mark.09 just had to die before Eva 13 shut down! :lol:

So Rei becoming the Vessel could still mean that will absorb her if she doesn't get out. With the whole Eva being a core, the plug depth must be a nightmare. But it could possibly mean the Adam could use the pilot's connection to the Eva to subjugate their body/mind and use them as a Vessel too.

Rei wasn't effected because the link was terminated when the Seele glyphs appeared. She wonders why it isn't being restored when Mark.09 turns black. But when Asuka gains the upper hand and tears the throat out, the Seele glyphs disappear and the synchro activation sequence starts flashing in Rei's plug just before she ejects. We know the Vessel works just fine without a head, so did Asuka's attack force the plug to reboot somehow, or was the Eva/Adam going to link up and try to possess Rei, or absorb her into itself?

The idea also ties in to Ritsuko's talk of Angelic mental contamination and explains why Wille took such great caution to ensure Shinji was Shinji. They clearly have prior knowledge of the Vessel and its ability to do...something to the pilot, so they may have run into a situation in the past where the pilot has been compromised by Adam influence.

No idea how the "Wunder's Original Master" angle fits into this unless the Adams could use it to directly control the ship -o-;

Edit: Crap! As usual, I forgot something. Mark.09 is able to operate with the entry plug completely removed, something none of the other Evas in Rebuild have done since they removed the scene where Unit 01 protects Shinji from falling debris. Even Eva 13 has to call it quits after it loses both pilots.
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Well if we combine the 09=Wunder core theory with your fanwank, then i suggest that 13 was the Wunders original "pilot" that controlled the ship through its core, and when ships original core was removed, it was morphed into an EVA, keeping that tie to 13 that allowed it to be controlled during 4I
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:33 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Edit: Crap! As usual, I forgot something. Mark.09 is able to operate with the entry plug completely removed, something none of the other Evas in Rebuild have done since they removed the scene where Unit 01 protects Shinji from falling debris.

Nope. That scene is still there in Rebuild.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:42 pm

It's not in the copy of 1.11 I have. The lights rattle and Rei falls off the gurney, but Unit 01 doesn't do anything.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:06 am

It's not in any copy or version of 1.0 ever.

BlueBasilisk wrote:Mark.09 is able to operate with the entry plug completely removed, something none of the other Evas in Rebuild have done since they removed the scene where Unit 01 protects Shinji from falling debris.

Eva-00 continues to have her temper tantrum after ejecting Rei's plug, so this isn't a Mark.09 specific thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:55 pm

You're right, I completely forgot about that! That plot never goes anywhere so I don't always remember it! -o-;

So to amend that previous statement, only Unit 00 and Mark.09 have operated without a pilot and entry plug inserted.

ArvisTaljik
Adam

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby ArvisTaljik » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:16 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's not in any copy or version of 1.0 ever.

Eva-00 continues to have her temper tantrum after ejecting Rei's plug, so this isn't a Mark.09 specific thing.

It does appear to be a Rei-specific thing tho...
peace: /piːs/
noun: a condition attained through the decisive employment of superior firepower

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:58 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Nope. That scene is still there in Rebuild.

Yeah, Eva-01 didn't protect Shinji this time around (in whatever 1.0 version you're watching). That was a shocking thing at the time because everybody wondered why the heck Yui didn't react. I believe her eyes didn't light up either, like they do in NGE.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”