So why exactly did they design the Evas to hurt the pilots?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

So why exactly did they design the Evas to hurt the pilots?

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Was it ever explained exactly why the pilots feel pain whenever the EVA is damaged? And more importantly why they designed the things that way?

I mean, that's the silliest possible way they could have designed the interface system---that's like someone building a hyper advanced truck that smashes your feet every time you hit a pothole.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Arcadia's legacy
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:40 pm

It's more likely a side affect of piloting than it is something that was designed in advance
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Feeling pain whenever the Eva receives damage is a side effect of synchronization, which is absolutely necessary to piloting the Eva. The Evas aren't simply controlled with buttons, switches, and pedals, but also by the thoughts and feelings of the pilots. By attuning their souls to that of the Eva, the line between the two becomes blurred and to an extent the pilot becomes the Eva so that they may more easily control it. The caveat to having more control is having to experience the damage the Eva receives as well.

Fortunately, there seem to be some security measures put into place to prevent pilots from experiencing the full-extent of the pain. First, the bridge bunnies can apparently reduce a pilots sync at will in order for them to experience less of the pain, as seen in episode 18 when Bardiel is strangling Unit-01; however, this can only be counted on whenever the Evas actually choose to respond to the bridge bunnies, instead of rejecting their commands. Second, in order for a 100% translation of damage, one would assume the pilots have to 100% sync, which is unheard of; the most relevant examples are Shinji's 400% sync in ep19, which literally merged him with the Eva, and then there's the blood from Asuka's eye in EoE which suggests she had sync ratio very close to 100%; otherwise, such as in episode 02, wherein Shinji had a sync of around 40% (later stated in episode 08 by Kaji to Asuka), the translation of pain was only superficial.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Seven Fifty
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Seven Fifty » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:30 pm

In addition to other things, it could help prevent recklessness on the part of the (rather immature) pilots - they're less likely to do anything that might damage the EVA if it means hurting themselves in the process.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:01 pm

View Original PostSeven Fifty wrote:In addition to other things, it could help prevent recklessness on the part of the (rather immature) pilots - they're less likely to do anything that might damage the EVA if it means hurting themselves in the process.

Considering one of those pilots was Asuka, we all saw how that turned out.

It's still a bad idea, albeit par for the course for NERV.

I mean, in a meta-sense, it makes sense---they were looking for any means of making these particular super robots either unappealing or fantasy breakers.

But in combat you probably don't want to be distracted by your giant machine breaking down and screaming in your ear, so to speak.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:02 pm

They didn't design the interface that way; it's simply an unavoidable consequence of how synchronisation works in this universe. That's all we can ever know.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Celebrating Radio Eva at 10 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:14 pm

It's clear that if they could, they would have found a way to rid the whole design of that flaw: you can see them trying to get the Pilots through the situations where they're being injured. Again, this is less a deliberate design feature and more of an unintended and unfortunate side-effect they have no work-around for.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Iuvenal
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:41 pm

It's implied there are electronics in the synch loop between the Eva's nervous system and the pilot's - simple unity gain opamp buffers rather than wires somewhere in the connection (and some Zener diode clamps and whatnot for other reasons) would prevent feedback like this. Alas, neither Anno nor anybody else on the team is an electrical engineer, most likely, so this obvious "problem" is not obvious to them. We can spitball and fanwank technical reasons why it "has" to be that way all we like, but my money says the reason is that it's more dramatic and serves a narrative and thematic purpose.
Last edited by Iuvenal on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:23 pm

I mean, we are discussing the technical issues surrounding massive cyborgs created from the tissues of ancient alien god-like progenitors who utilize mind-bending and physics-defying powers to shape and warp the reality of the world around them as they are piloted by a mental link that is created between them and their teenage pilots.

While being activated by the souls of women.

...I mean, there's gonna be hitches along the way.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Iuvenal
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:43 pm

And these massive cyborgs are mostly controlled by an organization that seems to have nepotism written into its bylaws and yet somehow gets personnel that are the best in the world at multiple unrelated disciplines simultaneously.

Also, at a whim this organization can dictate that another military organization gather all the world's totally-not-nukes in the span of a couple hours, arrange for bombers to carry them all in one flight, figure out a flight plan that gets them all in the air at once, and rig all these bombs of various makes and triggering schemes to detonate within a millisecond of each other.

Also, each cyborg can vary in size by almost an order of magnitude depending on what day it is.

So I agree with you that it's best to suspend disbelief and just strap in for the ride :)

Also, here is the most egregious error in NGE:
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:18 pm

I wouldn't say feeling pain is a "side effect" of synchronization so much as it's a "feature". Pain is a logical and necessary aspect of the tactile senses. Without it, you'd have no way of knowing what actions cause what kinds of tissue damage until it's too late. And even then, without pain to tell you that the air over there is too hot, or that you're overextending a limb, or that performing self-trepanation with a screw driver is a really bad idea, you're just going to keep hurting yourself. Look up cases of individuals born without the ability to feel pain. It's really shitastic.

If the pilots can't feel pain, how are they going to make the Evas walk, let alone run or jump, without breaking their own limbs? Use their weapons without shooting or stabbing themselves? How the fuck will they do anything without constantly damaging the Evas and making things a total breeze for the Angels?

Misato: Shinji, that's not the Angel's core you just stabbed!!
Shinji: Well, how am I supposed to know what's happening?! I feel like I'm wrapped in fifty layers of bandages!

Life isn't pain per se, but it sure as hell needs it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 pm

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:Also, here is the most egregious error in NGE:

Um, I think that's more of a shadow formed by the blanket falling between the knees of the character, and not a crotch shadow.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:44 am

Because of cyberpunk exploring the idea of cyborg self, in eva's case through individuals who are together and feel the same while staying separated at the same time.
www.depauw.edu/site/sfs/backissues/88/orbaugh.html
Which exploration wouldn't be possible without the ways eva world works, I guess the technical answer is "feedback" as others said and how feedback welcomes this idea and themes (how to cope with loneliness etc).
Ultimately this world is bananas because seele is this death cult and the actual point of the evas is to awaken because of this principle of merging evas are built on.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”