[Fic] The Man behind the Pose: Gendo Ikari

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

[Fic] The Man behind the Pose: Gendo Ikari

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 pm

So I'm horribly remiss when it comes to a lot of things: I haven't been around this forum all that often lately, I keep forgetting to read Crying Man and I really have been more of a mess than normal. Anyway...since Reichu is actually getting to work on Akira now, I thought I'd try to take a look at what made the Magnificent Bastard who got so many things rolling. Ladies and Gentlemen, Gendo Ikari.

:gendoscheme:

Chapter 1: The shortest mom-dad-son argument of them all (August 1990)

"What's the idea behind this new startup, son?" Akio Rokubungi asked. "You've been involved in that Metaphysical Biology crap for far too long!"

"Yeah." Gendo said.

"Say something other than 'yeah', son. And stop leaning on the table with your hands in front of your mouth like that." Junko Rokubungi said. She placed cups of matcha on the table.

Father and mother sat together at one end, their son at the other. Junko remembered just how inquisitive and intelligent her son had been, but he hadn't been much better than average at high school, and he had drifted away from economics to biology, and then to metaphysical biology as an undergraduate student. Now, as a graduate student, he was up to no good.

"Yeah." Gendo said, bringing his hands down a little bit.

"Bah, it can't be helped." Akio said. "First you give up good stuff like shipbuilding and nautical engineering - well, any kind of engineering would have been great - and you went off into this wishy-washy crap about souls and spirits and other such stuff. Being a graduate assistant is good but do you think you're going to earn much from that in the future?"

"I have never asked for money and I never will." Gendo said, without any emotion.

"I know that, but that's not the point! How are you going to support a wife and kids? Where is your job security? I have lifetime employment and expect a steady pension in a couple of years, but in your field, what's there?" Akio said. He would have been very angry if he had been speaking to his son two years ago, but

"There is new technology that allows the transfer of a soul from one body to another, and towards the growth of new human tissue. Respectable sources suggest the possibility of a market in reincarnated human beings." Gendo said, with a straight face.

"Is this the political philosophy of market fundamentalism you were talking about? Making a market out of reincarnating human beings? What lunacy!" Junko cringed and quickly took a sip of tea.

"Nonsense! Charlatanry! Crackpot business!" Akio said, rubbing his forehead.

"Nevertheless, the technology and the financing exist. There are many multibillionaires who wish to be reincarnated on their own terms or achieve living immortality. If I exist to provide a service to them, I am generating value." Gendo said.

"Or scamming them out of their money. Is that what you learnt in economics? I really should have made you stick to engineering instead of listening to that counselor's nonsense!" Akio said, raising his voice for the first time.

"Dad, neither you nor mom understand how the world works any longer. Things are not the same as they were for you." Gendo said, with a sigh.

"Son, some things never change. Human nature does not change! Morality does not change! The applied sciences do not change!" Akio raised his finger to make a point, like he always had when Gendo was a child.

"...but human nature has the good and the bad together, and in a world where the bad dominates, one must become bad to survive." Gendo said. He slurped his cooling tea down noisily.

"What a thing to say! And I haven't forgotten the time when Mrs. Shimakaze complained about you flirting with her daughter..." Junko began.

"...one has to put on the appearances of being a man, rather than the appearance of being human. I appreciate your concern, mother, but neither you nor father can protect me from the world." Gendo said. He finished off his tea.

"Wait! Are you leaving already? You haven't had dinner!" Junko said.

"I have a dinner appointment with someone else." Gendo said.

"Come on, we don't have a proper conversation - no letters, hardly any telephone calls! At least you could do me and your mother the courtesy of telling us what you plan to do in the future." Akio said.

"I will take care of you in the future, as a son should. Good evening." Gendo said, and walked out of the door.

Respectable, middle-class parents, Gendo thought. All they cared about was getting through the right college, the right grades, and the right company to work for in life. Gendo knew he had disappointed them dreadfully in the past - they had been far more vocal and less resigned about it back then - but what good had being a nice boy been? He had been bullied, isolated and picked upon more often than not, and he knew now that to build "social capital" as Bourdieu put it was a brutal, competitive process. Both his parents had been foolishly idealistic when it came to people, and to the world.

Gendo knew that the world was changing. The Soviet Union was facing a crisis of unprecedented proportions and was threatening to come apart at the seams. The Japanese economy was suddenly taking a turn for the worse after a period of continuous, unprecedented prosperity. The science of genetics was catching on, and Japan was still leading the way in both genetics and metaphysical biology. And now, with all the change surrounding him, the old hypocrisies of the world were being peeled back to reveal the filth deep underneath. There was never any place for an honest, decent man to go, so Gendo Rokubungi would stop being an honest, decent person.

What was next? Gendo's little "soul-transplant" startup had enough capital to last it a year or two, but he knew that he would have to pull a lot of strings if he wanted a future for himself.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:49 am

Looks good so far.

Let me guess: he's going to mooch money from Yui?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Interested in seeing where you take this.

Seeing Gendo actually in the sciences threw me a bit, since the only stuff he's done that we're actually certain about involve money and/or administration. Plus, if he had a scientific background himself, how does his "scientists are fools!" conversation with Kiel in episode 21' make sense? You've probably thought this through, but I'm curious what your rationale is.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Looks interesting, and dare I say it, fun! Can't wait to see where things go.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks for the comments - and no he ain't gonna mooch no money from Yui!

While I totally know that there are a whole lot of people in management in technical fields who have absolutely zilch in the way of technical expertise, be it in biology, or IT, or whatever field of science they are working with, that's a downright moronic way to go about things - I'll bring this up later as things progress and show you exactly why I gave Gendo some kind of scientific background.

Nobody would be in a better position to make a "scientists are fools" comment than a disgruntled former science student.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:06 pm

For what it's worth, I was looking at the Evangelion Proposal page and I saw something I missed: Gendo was meant to be a Professor in addition to the commander of Nerv, which explains why the original, gray-haired hammy Gendo in the drawing wore a lab coat rather than a uniform jacket. Those dorky suspenders are there from the start, for whatever that's worth.

Chapter 2: The Startup (September 1990)

"What?" Kyosuke Kamijo shook his head. He and Gendo were seated at a table in a bar frequented by students of their university. It was too early in the evening for students to arrive in droves, which gave both of them privacy.

"Yep, that's the business proposal. The details are all in the paperwork." Gendo said.

"Roku, that's one of the wildest ideas I have ever heard being discussed as a serious business opportunity. Are you sure that's what people want at a time like this? Take a look at what happened with the stock market last month! Everything is going down, down, down...it's a nightmare!" Kyosuke said, waving his arms in the air theatrically as he did so.

"Wild as the idea may be, the opportunity presents itself to us at this moment." Gendo said.

"You're talking like some kind of movie villain now. And what makes you think that?"

"Now that the economy is heading into chaos, more and more people are becoming fearful and superstitious. Those who lose their way in the madness of this competitive market will turn to religion to soothe their souls even if it drives them even deeper into penury. What better way to deliver their dreams than through the science of religion, metaphysical biology? Why not provide the service that is demanded by the market at present?"

Kyosuke shrugged. "Solace? By contacting the spirits of the dead and healing the soul? Why do I find that so hard to take seriously?"

"It brings in good money."

"Roku, life isn't all about money." Kyosuke chugged down his 'Kowareta Te' lager beer. Gendo had barely sipped his 'Hanbun kama' dark beer. Both of these were weirdly named experimental beers from some brewery that had started up a few months ago and which had slashed its prices drastically in a desperate attempt to keep afloat.

"Perhaps not life as biology, but all social life in this country is about money. Even if conspicuous consumption decreases in the future, it is quite likely that people will continue to spend the money they have in less conspicuous ways - such as in belonging to say a meditation group or one of those newfangled shinshukyo..."

"Don't even mention those! I'm fed up of seeing new religious cults turn up every week and try to recruit around on campus."

"They are part of the market."

"That's an idea. And they're not exactly short of money." Kyosuke scratched his chin thoughtfully.

"Anything else going on here that I should know about?" Gendo asked.

"Nothing, unless you want to count the professors turning up. Professor Amagiri visited the department - he's working on something related to biological energy sources. Don't know much about it, but rumor is that his funding was cut due to a lack of results."

"Hmm. Results, it's always results."

Kyosuke leaned backwards on the chair. "Yeah. One of his former students accompanied him here as well - this tall thin guy called Katsuragi, fellow with purple hair. Don't know what he's working on. And then there was Fuyutsuki last week - he's at Kyoto and I believe the department at Kyoto University is better funded than we are."

"Interesting."

"You know, you might get better help out of Kyoto than out of here. I'll do what I can with the equipment but nobody in this department will be willing to help."

"They don't know how much money they're missing out on." Gendo said, with a smirk.

That comment hung in the air for a moment. A young couple walked in, chatting away. Soon the whole bar would be full of students. Kyosuke glanced at them and back again at Gendo. This time he changed the topic.

"How's sushi?" He meant Sumire Shimakaze.

Gendo put his beer down and stared at the bottle.

"Her mother complained to my parents last week."

"Ouch." Kyosuke cringed.

"She's determined to get her way with me, though. Her mother still wants her to marry a big-name financial hotshot from Kabutocho, her dad is too timid to refuse and she is too headstrong to just give in to her mother's wishes." Gendo shrugged as if to say 'what an idiot'.

"So her mother chooses to turn her anger into an externality? Hmm...she's a good economist, even if she's a lousy person."

"Someone said the same thing about me."

Kyosuke looked blank for a moment before he understood what Gendo meant. "Sayaka? Don't take it too seriously. Oh, and I know you're not exactly the right person to ask about this, but could you help me figure out how to propose to her, western-style?"

"With the bended knee and the ring?" Gendo raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, that sort of thing."

Gendo shrugged. "To tell you the truth, I really am useless at that."

"I can imagine trying to propose to your wife using the economic argument for living together. Man, you really should've continued with that subject."

"How boring." Gendo said, and chugged down his beer.

"Say, how about you help me decide the most romantic way to propose and I help out your crazy project in return."

Gendo swallowed the last of the beer with a gulp and let out a loud burp. Kyosuke looked mortified.

"That sounds like a fair bargain." Gendo said.

"Damn you, I knew you would say that." Kyosuke said.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Eh... just too far out of my conception of Gendo for this story to click, sorry.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Do you really expect Gendo at 23 to be the same as Gendo at 30 or Gendo at 48?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:56 pm

Gendo being a professor would handily explain what he's still doing at the university despite being far older than the typical student, and also why Fuyutsuki would be hearing rumors about him. Though, that's not a lab coat in the concept art; it's just his uniform jacket without the black.

I like how you're incorporating MPB into the story, giving thought to its larger place in the NGE world beyond just being a source of phlebotinum. I'll be eventually doing that, too, and it's nice to see another take.

Hmm, I detect a few Crying Man references here! I guess that's as sincere a form of flattery as any. :kawaii: I'm a little curious about the comment on S2 energy being "biological" (Adam won't be discovered for a while yet!). Also, some timeline comments:

SPOILER: Show
In CM, it's implied that the S2 theory is something Akira started forming during his first manic episode, which itself was triggered in part by the incredible stress of Amagiri's retirement. So S^2 is definitely post-Amagiri. That is, if you want to follow the CM timeline. You might deliberately choose not to.

You mention Kamijo going after a Sayaka. If this is Sayaka Katori/Katsuragi, this wouldn't be able to work with the actual series chronology anyway, unless he's either planning on wrecking a marriage or you wish to suggest that Misato was born out of wedlock. She was born December 1986.

I feel like the beers are meant to be a reference to something, but I can't place "broken hand" or "half-sickle/kettle".

I know you prefer to be light on the description, but a little more than what you have might be useful for breaking up the quotes somewhat. Just a thought!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:20 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Do you really expect Gendo at 23 to be the same as Gendo at 30 or Gendo at 48?

Of course not. It's not anything you did, it's my own 'head cannon' that's the problem.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:23 pm

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:28 pm

@Reichu:

SPOILER: Show

Gendo isn't a professor in this story and he doesn't become one either - and by the way, it's possible for a masters/doctoral student to be far older than "typical". Heck, I've run into undergrads who have worked before starting their education and are on average about 4 years older than they should be.

That aside was for the technical background I thought Gendo needed - he's more interested in the business of MPB than the science of it, although he at heart really wishes to make the world a better place. More on that later!

Kousuke Kamijo and Sayaka Miki are straight out of Madoka because I wanted to give Sayaka a better fate than Gen Urobuchi did. I've been toying with giving Sayaka her original hair color, which is nearly identical to Rei's. Having a small subset of the population actually turn up with purple, gray or blue hair would explain why these hair colors didn't arouse any suspicion.

And yes, Dr. Amagiri is a reference to Crying Man, since I do like where you're going with the story ^_^ . It's not so much about the Super Solenoid theory at this point - Akira is yet to come up with that - but he has to have some basis, and it occurred to me that Dr. Amagiri set Akira off on his path and provided him with much of the basis for his future research work. There's a lot of mentorship in academia and I imagine that Akira would have taken at least slightly after his "intellectual father".

Kousuke's beer is "broken hand" as a reference to Madoka. And Gendo's beer is meant to be "half-bitten"...guess why? ;)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 am

The next chapter is in spoilers, because things go citrus-y and Gendo shows us why he's so popular with the ladies! :mwahaha: :kaos_akuma:

(I also need to fix Kamijo's name - it turns out it's "Kyosuke")

So there you have it! Gendo the ladies' man.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:06 pm

.......What in the name of Lilith did I just read? -o-;

I'm not sure what you were going for with the lemon segment. For me, it fired off the deep end all the way into parody. (I never took the meme about Gendo being a "lady's man" particularly seriously, either. Maybe I'm naive, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going for it.)

It's a bit confusing having two characters named "Sumire" as early as the second chapter. Even more awkward when one of them is Gendo's mom, and the other is someone he's boning. :cringe:

Might be worth giving the latest chapter another look-over. I saw at least one typo ("Gendo popped his head out from being the M-Q machine") and there are some weird paragraph breaks.

Did you already know about the mental institutes, or did my notes manage to provide a small amount of education there?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:26 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's a bit confusing having two characters named "Sumire" as early as the second chapter. Even more awkward when one of them is Gendo's mom, and the other is someone he's boning. :cringe:

Which is why Gendo thinks of the other Sumire as "Sushi"... :mwahaha:

Actually, come to think of it...Gendo's mom's name isn't exactly fitting. "Sumire" was good as a placeholder but I need something better, a name that ends with "-ko" to fit the time period. I'm leaning towards "Yuriko" or "Junko".

EDIT: Her name is Junko now. Problem solved.

Might be worth giving the latest chapter another look-over. I saw at least one typo ("Gendo popped his head out from being the M-Q machine") and there are some weird paragraph breaks.

Did you already know about the mental institutes, or did my notes manage to provide a small amount of education there?

Thanks - I actually wrote that in one go and will correct the spelling/grammar errors when I get back to it again. Your notes did provide me that particular bit of education, along with the economist article you linked to. Thanks again!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:38 pm

By the way, when Fuyutsuki enters Gendo's office in Episode 21, the door with the red and green "Do Not - Enter" lights says in small font "U.N. Artificial Evolution Laboratories Chief of Research" (in English), so Gendo probably does have enough of a research background to merit the title "Chief of Research", although not enough to be on the actual front line of said research.

Return to “Fanfiction”