Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Game is so good. I actually feel like I'm tarnishing it by playing it, it's that good. Completed up to the Honey Bee mission last night, which ended up feeling like something out of Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider, and have done a bunch of side ops as well. I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can get some decent hours in with this thing.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Looks great Iron!

Well I have no clue when my CE is going to show up. My tracking number won't work, and checked the mail today and nothing, and with me having to spend tomorrow evening packing for my weekend trip and going out of town Friday after work, I most likely won't get to even play it until Tuesday since Monday the post office is closed and I doubt it will be there tomorrow. Needless to say I'm not exactly happy right now.

Not surprised to hear that its everything that it was expected to be. Kojima-san always delivers after all.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:06 am

That looks so awesome.

I'm looking forward to playing the game, but I plan on getting through some other stuff first. Once I finally do, it'll probably be the only game I play for a while.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 pm

You know, out of all the things I was expecting out of this game,
SPOILER: Show
everyone singing happy birthday to Big Boss was not among them.
That was hilarious.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:17 pm

Well finally tracked down where my CE is. It's been sitting in Tennessee since Tuesday early morning and won't be moving till likely tomorrow, as it's slated for a Saturday delivery and since I'm out of town until Monday evening, I have no way to pick it up until Tuesday since the post is closed Monday.

:sigh:

So I'll just be getting started on it after the majority of people no doubt will have completed it.

So freaking bummed right now.

I did see a video showing the birthday song bit. Was hilarious :lol: (Watched it since it's not exactly a spoiler on the story haha.)

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:12 pm

I wouldn't worry about everybody beating the game before Tuesday. I'm 16.5 hours in and I only have 7% completion. And I'm not even done with Chapter 1 yet! This game is massive. I've got at least 1 platform developed for each of my current teams and have rescued the puppy (he was in Afghanistan for some reason), and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Quiet has just appeared, so I'm going after her now.

Sorry your CE isn't arriving until Saturday, though. I feel bad for you. :huggles:
[Redacted]

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:29 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I wouldn't worry about everybody beating the game before Tuesday. I'm 16.5 hours in and I only have 7% completion. And I'm not even done with Chapter 1 yet! This game is massive. I've got at least 1 platform developed for each of my current teams and have rescued the puppy (he was in Afghanistan for some reason), and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Quiet has just appeared, so I'm going after her now.

Sorry your CE isn't arriving until Saturday, though. I feel bad for you. :huggles:

Thanks :huggles: It does suck a big time, but at least its not lost or stolen.

And that's good to hear. I expected it to be a long game but wow. That is beyond my expectations. I suspect it'll quite awhile before myself you any of you guys finish it then haha.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:50 am

My God, this game is melting my brain; just cleared episode 12 and with one hell of a revelation back at Mother Base on the medical platform...
Warren Peace, #643919

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Just defeated Quiet. That was a more intense battle than The End in MGS3! On one side a sniper with superhuman speed and active camouflage, on the other side myself armed only with a tranquilizer pistol and an assault rifle that shoots rubber bullets. I had to make some real Hail Mary shots with that pistol! Good times. I managed to do a non-lethal takedown and she's back at Mother Base now.
[Redacted]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:31 pm

How's the game running on PC, performance-wise? I'm definitely committed to getting it now, just not sure if I can get it to run (although I heard it was really well optimized).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:33 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Just defeated Quiet. That was a more intense battle than The End in MGS3! On one side a sniper with superhuman speed and active camouflage, on the other side myself armed only with a tranquilizer pistol and an assault rifle that shoots rubber bullets. I had to make some real Hail Mary shots with that pistol! Good times. I managed to do a non-lethal takedown and she's back at Mother Base now.

When I glimpsed the first line of this post I clicked away and thought to myself Spoilers, man! As if I didn't already know given what I remembered from the previews, but I had filed the inevitable quietly away in my mind. (Incidentally I have not encountered her yet.)

Then I decided that since partial spoilers can often be worse than just reading the whole thing once you've seen that tip of the iceberg, I came back and read the rest and was like Yes, you don't have to kill her!

The dread has vanished. :lol: And now, instead, I can't wait to get to that part of the game!

(I'm practically exaggerating when I use the word "spoiler" here; from the preview I remember, you're told straight-up when you encounter Quiet that one day you'll fight her.)

Shinoyami65 wrote:How's the game running on PC, performance-wise?

Like a goddamn dream. My game has been an unfailing 60 FPS drop-dead gorgeous experience. It's been so smooth and perfect that, ironically, it actually makes it look kind of cheap. When I look at the game on my friend's PS3, it just plain looks better to me at that lower frame rate, more dramatic, more epic, more impactful even if all you're doing is running around in the desert at night. I'm seriously considering turning my frame limit down to 30 to see if I like it better -- but at the same time I also like keeping it pushed up to the max just because I can. :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Sorry if I spoiled anything, I figured most people had seen the official trailers and gameplay videos by now.

Anyhow I'm now in
Africa.

I've taken a break from missions to go on a safari with the tranquilizer rifle I just had developed. Not much luck so far (probably because I dropped in at sunset), but I did bag a pair of striped jackals. :D
[Redacted]

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:05 pm

Finished it. Took me about 80 hours to beat story mode and do several side missions; not even near 100% complete. All I can say is that the game lived up to the hype in almost every way I could have imagined. Gonna take me a while to process things and get over the typical feels, but after more people have finished it, I'll chat about it more.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:20 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Finished it. Took me about 80 hours to beat story mode

It hasn't even been out for a week! You've been playing for an average of over 13 hours per day?! For six days straight?! :lol:

Well, when the inevitable discussion of the story starts, please everyone do the rest of us a favor and mind the spoilers. I'm itching to experience all this awesomeness firsthand.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Lol. Well to be fair it was 76 hours and I think a lot of that is in game timer idle counting, but we've been going after it big. And don't worry, I wouldn't dare spoil anything for anyone. All I'll say is that it's everything you'd expect from the master, Kojima.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:21 pm

I hate getting spoiled on things, myself, so no worries.

We had to pull many all-nighters to get as far as we did, since RL matters called all week, too. :lol:

My 1 annoyance is an important extra's only included in the LE release! :| YouTube onward, friends?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Only just did episode 20 myself last night. Shit is wild. REALLY WILD.
Warren Peace, #643919

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:48 pm

12 more days. I'm not gonna make it.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:54 am

View Original PostZapX wrote:Finished it. Took me about 80 hours to beat story mode and do several side missions; not even near 100% complete.

As someone who took a week's vacation time for this game and has currently logged 59 hours with 29 main missions completed and 34% overall completion, I salute you. :salute:

I do need to vent about a few story-related things here, so I'll advise everyone not to read the following until they've completed the story.
Ok first of all fuck the Mist Unit and the whole killer vocal chord parasite subplot, easily the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever seen in a MGS game and a blemish on an otherwise wonderful game. This isn't Resident Evil 5, Konami.

Secondly, PAZ IS ALIVE!? That's the biggest asspull of a plot twist I've ever seen in the series. Why can't she just stay dead? And Miller freaks out when I bring Quiet back to MB, but he lets Paz -who is a known and proven serious security threat- stay at MB without even keeping her under surveillance? :facepalm:
Miller: "Do you have anything you could show to Paz to help jog her memory?"
Me: "Yeah I've got something I wanna show Paz." *Tries to draw a gun and end the threat once and for all.* *Finds out weapons are disabled inside that room.* "Fuck..."

That aside I'm really loving the rest of the game, Fallout 4 is going to need to work its ass off to beat this game. Kid Liquid is awesome even if he is a spoiled brat, and I love being able to complete "Eliminate the armored vehicles" side ops by sneaking up to the vehicles and fultoning them. Way better than how it was in Peace Walker.

It may come as a shock to you given the kind of anime I watch, but I actually wish you could get Quiet to wear clothes (yes I know why she can't.) It's not that I dislike the amount of skin she's showing, I just think her outfit looks trashy (it would be so much better even if she just got rid of the ripped leggings.) However when I maxed my bond with Diamond Dog I got the option to change his fur color, so I'm hoping that when I max my bond with Quiet I'll be able to switch to her XOF uniform she wore during the hospital intro before she got her powers.
[Redacted]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:07 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:As someone who took a week's vacation time for this game and has currently logged 59 hours with 29 main missions completed and 34% overall completion, I salute you. :salute:

I do need to vent about a few story-related things here, so I'll advise everyone not to read the following until they've completed the story.
Ok first of all fuck the Mist Unit and the whole killer vocal chord parasite subplot, easily the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever seen in a MGS game and a blemish on an otherwise wonderful game. This isn't Resident Evil 5, Konami.

Secondly, PAZ IS ALIVE!? That's the biggest asspull of a plot twist I've ever seen in the series. Why can't she just stay dead? And Miller freaks out when I bring Quiet back to MB, but he lets Paz -who is a known and proven serious security threat- stay at MB without even keeping her under surveillance? :facepalm:
Miller: "Do you have anything you could show to Paz to help jog her memory?"
Me: "Yeah I've got something I wanna show Paz." *Tries to draw a gun and end the threat once and for all.* *Finds out weapons are disabled inside that room.* "Fuck..."

That aside I'm really loving the rest of the game, Fallout 4 is going to need to work its ass off to beat this game. Kid Liquid is awesome even if he is a spoiled brat, and I love being able to complete "Eliminate the armored vehicles" side ops by sneaking up to the vehicles and fultoning them. Way better than how it was in Peace Walker.

It may come as a shock to you given the kind of anime I watch, but I actually wish you could get Quiet to wear clothes (yes I know why she can't.) It's not that I dislike the amount of skin she's showing, I just think her outfit looks trashy (it would be so much better even if she just got rid of the ripped leggings.) However when I maxed my bond with Diamond Dog I got the option to change his fur color, so I'm hoping that when I max my bond with Quiet I'll be able to switch to her XOF uniform she wore during the hospital intro before she got her powers.

^
End-game spoiler  SPOILER: Show

That's not really Paz, it's a hallucination.

Regarding Quiet's costumes  SPOILER: Show

Yeah, you can get clothes for her. You can even dress her up as Sniper Wolf if that's what floats your boat. However, you'll have to purchase them at Mother Base to unlock them, it seems.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”