3.0+1.0 is a New Anime, Not a Movie?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tabby-chan
Adam

3.0+1.0 is a New Anime, Not a Movie?

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:52 pm

So I just realized what's up with 3.0+1.0 and the 14-year timeskip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LUOHvUK6pM

Look at the font on the title card. We know that it matches the style of the original anime. I predict that a new anime will cover the 14 years between 2.0 and 3.0, and also that :Final (NOT 3.0+1.0) will conclude said TV series.

Much in the same way that Marvel is using the "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." to connect the MCU movies together, I believe Khara will take a cue from them and use a 26-episode series to both nod to the old series and also to bridge the films together. Except this way, more cleverly, they'll use it to both connect 2.0 and 3.0 and also to explain some of what's going on in 3.0, which will take us to :Final. And I predict that the last episode of this series will take us directly after the events of 3.0 and lead us into :Final. Maybe it'll even go back in time. Just imagine it--starting this series off with right BEFORE 3.0, going back in time to the end of 2.0, and then ending the series with right after 3.0.
Wouldn't that be just like them, though?

I think this has already been covered before, but do let me know if that's the case.
ccc-p.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ccc-p
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: 3.0+1.0 is a New Anime, Not a Movie?

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:24 pm

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:We know that it matches the style of the original anime.

All of the movies have multiple titles and that font has already been used for each one of them

http://i.imgur.com/Bi4nY9u.jpg
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:41 pm

It's nice to come up with fan theories & all but there's nothing to support this.

I don't think it's necessary to ever fill in the missing 14 year timeskip for the narrative of Rebuild to work. Ever. But, if I was running a studio that is an appealing period of time in the story to capitalize off of with TV shows, comic books, toys, whatever & if Khara ever needs a quick influx of cash they'll turn to that.

But, I doubt any of this will happen before Hideaki Anno finishes his four movie story. 3.0 + 1.0 is a movie.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:17 pm

That interval is very fertile ground from a storytelling perspective and I would absolutely love to see a new Eva series bridging that gap, but I think any explanation we'll get for the time being will be a short retrospective hitting the key moments, like episode 21 and the way it spanned 1999-2014. We know it was planned and has been billed as a film so far, so that's the safest bet until Khara says otherwise.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:22 pm

I know I've seen other people talk about a similar theroy. I know quite a few that wouldn't mind seeing something like a 12 episode series about the timeskip or a short OVA about it. It would help answer a few questions about the lore of NTE if the final movie doesn't get around to it.

The way you are talking about it I think it is unlikely. We know that 3.0+1.0 will be movie, but no one knows what is going to go down come the end of next year(hopefully). It's been said before that this movie will piss off fans like EOE did, that we could get a flashback sequence like you are describing, Shinji has a heroic sacrifice, Mari/Asuka yuri action, etc.

Also I think Anno really wants to be done with Eva by the time the movie hits theatres in Japan. So I see that a intrigue surprise of a shorter(or longer, I feel 26 episodes for the timeskip would be a bit excessive)anime series followed by the final movie wouldn't happen. Don't count out that we won't see some flashbacks/info from the timeskip in the final movie because it could very well happen.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Tabby-chan
Adam

Re: 3.0+1.0 is a New Anime, Not a Movie?

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:11 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:All of the movies have multiple titles and that font has already been used for each one of them

http://i.imgur.com/Bi4nY9u.jpg

In this image, I was referring to the image set on the right. "Evangelion" is rendered properly in this image, curiously.
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:09 pm

Neon Genesis Evangelion Super here we come :facepalm:
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

PurpleandRed
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PurpleandRed » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:41 pm

I think that 3.0 + 1.0 will be a prequel to 3.33. Actually, look at it this way... wait, what? 3.0 can be called 3.33 but 3.0 + 1.0 equals 4.0 so this change in the title is no need, right? Or it may just mean they can add the EOE parts in there or something. I don't know. I just hope it's a prequel to 3.33. :irked:
Asuka, you're not going to have any children.

You don't care about Hikari anymore, Asuka?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:37 pm

It could easily be both. Have maybe 20-30 minutes at the beginning to explain the time skip or so. If the movie's as long as 2.0, that still leaves nearly two hours for new material.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:26 am

It's wishful thinking but telling the content of the timeskip, with Shinji and the previous movies events left in some corner, would be a genius way to make room for character development and generally describing any routine and disaster while treating the first movies as legends - pretty much the myth evangelion already has but oh well. It's just you want to work on the psychological mess that teenager pilots are and how everyone waits for the comeback of Shinji as an ironic messiah thing. You want to find Asuka's loneliness filled a little from Mari and basically everything else that happened after the early third impact that isn't a lie.

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of the new movies, but I agree with people that the 14 years were skipped for a reason. It would largely just be the daily routine of WILLE fighting against NERV and maintaining its presence as a fragment of remaining humanity. This sounds really interesting at first, but it would get repetitive with just dealing against the new threats that crazy Gendo sends at them.

And unlike in the series, it doesn't seem like there'd be enough changes going on in the pilots lives throughout this time to make it seem anything other than repetitive.

I imagine it could work, but it would require a plot-arc that would end up disconnected from that of the Rebuild movies (as it would have to finish within the show) or be addressed in addition to EVERYTHING ELSE in 4.0.

So, even beyond it being extremely unlikely, I just don't think it's a great idea.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:57 am

Imho a great idea is telling evangelion keeping the action in the corner, like you wake up and watch the news of Asuka/mari doings and that's that, something I can see coming with the timeskip stuff is:
- eva has a love story ending regardless of everything but there's no dynamic between Asuka and Shinji during 14 (!) years, if there's anything it's a female friend and a male interest that has to die or something to make room for Shinji making kaoru redundant to the economy of characters (just like kaoru does with Asuka and Rei)
-a whole pletora of secondary characters will bring meat but it's mostly a crew of dudes. They are there to shout stuff first. Because bad happens and you just want to see how megalilith got beheaded.

So yeah my issue is this is cannibalizing over the movie which itself kind of cannibalizes with references to the tv show. Leaving the action in the corners kind of avoids relying on things we have seen treating them as legends and rumors etc, it'd be a ton of new stuff with secondary dudes as leads. It'd be to fix things for one last movie though and in that sense it's overkill
Last edited by unz on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:07 am

View Original Postunz wrote:there's no dynamic between Asuka and Shinji during 14 (!) years, if there's anything is a female friend and a male interest that has to die or something to make room for Shinji

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here... Is it that alongside her female friend (Mari) Asuka gets a new male friend who dies so that Shinji can ride in on his white charger to claim her, or that there is a new female character whose current boyfriend dies - cue Shinji moving in while casting his former friends aside.

Either way, I very much doubt that we will get any plot-significant new characters or such a cynical resolution; working out the present characters' issues will be traumatic enough without adding further complications.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:19 am

You wouldn't want to strip Shinji of his role more than Mari has done with both Asuka and Shinji so any male lead would get out at some point.

edit: I guess that keeping major events in the corner is elegant as far as we follow people growing in the world, the pilot children don't though and only one of them is asleep while others play major roles so that's not very elegant.
Crippled evas may be a trick but that would go only for some time and only for Asuka and wille (kaoru would rather wait for Shinji or seele before doing anything and Rei would wait for orders which again are not very elegant reasons for not doing anything with these dudes).y

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”