Toshio Okada discusses Gunbuster, Eva, and Honneamise

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 pm

The personal biography confuses me a little. There seems to be some Javascript running which after a few seconds redirects to the homepage (very annoying), and it's not clear who it's by. Is it written by Anno? It sure reads like it.

Also people, when making claims, remember to source them. I see a lot of what seem to be claims based on _The Notenki Memoirs_ here, but little citation...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:57 pm

For whatever it's worth:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:NHK screwed Gainax over with Nadia, maybe somebody else has more details on the how/why.
<--is most likely something Hiroyuki Yamaga said at one of his Fanime 2010 panels, based on how I seemingly posted that information from memory. (NaveryW can confirm or deny since he was there with me.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Takeda disagrees in TNM. He seems to think Gainax was the one who screwed up. I believed I quoted the relevant sections in another thread at you, SSD...

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Here's a bit more about Okada's "snow" comment.

At some point following the conclusion of the Eva TV series, two separate projects were announced or rumored: a remake of the last two episodes, which would be released on laserdisc; and and an all-new theatrical film. (According to Yuichiro Oguro, they were both announced in April 1996). In interviews following the end of the series, Anno mentions both these projects, and talks about the remake of the last two episodes as a separate project from the film.

Recently I found a more detailed explanation of this given in an interview archived on johakyu. The interview is from a now-defunct online magazine called "SF Online" and features Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and Hiroki Sato. I have translated the following excerpt to the best of my ability; please forgive mistakes in the translation. Any suggestions regarding improvements would be much appreciated.

貞本 スタッフが、作りながら(作品を)愛してたよね。劇場版は、ほんとはオリジナルのキャラクターだけ使ってぜんぜん違う話の企画があったんだけど。

Sadamoto: The staff loved the work they were making. For the movie version, the truth is that there was a plan that had a story completely different [from the one used for the TV series], using only the original characters.

佐藤 TVシリーズを見てない人にも楽しめるという、本当はそういう予定だったんですけれど、さすがにスタッフから疲れた宣言が出てまして、もうできねえよと。じゃあ劇場版は弐拾伍、弐拾六話のリメイクということで、残ってる本来の脚本どおりにやろうと。で、本来の劇場版はぽしゃった形になってる。

Sato: That had really been intended, [a film that] even people who hadn't seen the TV series could enjoy. But with the staff declaring themselves worn out, it didn't seem any longer possible. So, the thought was to do the remakes of episodes 25 and 26 for the film, making them along the lines of the left-over original script. So the original film fell through.

貞本 そう。へこたれちゃった。ぼくは最初の予定の劇場版が見たかったんですけどね。

Sadamoto: Right. [The staff] wore out. Though I wanted to see the movie that was originally planned.

佐藤 どちらかというとさっきのSFの話に戻るわけですけれど、そのぽしゃったほうの企画では、巨大ロボットのいる世界というのをまじめに作りたかったのですよ。デザインチームとしては、そういうアイディアを組み立てていったもう一方の側の、まあいうたら『ハードゲリオン』(笑)みたいなねえ。

Sato: If I had to say, and this goes back to our discussion about science fiction earlier, there was a desire, in the abandoned plans, to seriously construct a world where giant robots existed. For the design team, these sort of ideas were being brought together as another side of, well, if I had to say, it was something like a "Hard-gelion" (laughs).

貞本 だけど、TVシリーズを延々とやってきて、もう全員息切れしてるじゃないですか。いまからこの大変なのをたった一年で作れっていうのぉ? って、庵野さんも含めて全員がへこたれちゃってて。

Sadamoto: But they had been working forever on the TV series, and the entire staff needed to catch their breath. "You're telling us to keep going on with this difficult work for just one more year?" The whole staff was worn out, Anno included.

佐藤 庵野さんは半年のリハビリ後に、もう一回ビデオ版をスタートさせて、スケジュール的にはアレして何とかなりますということで、だから最初にテレビが終わった段階では、発表しましたけれどオリジナル長編も考えてたんですよ。

Sato: Because of that, when the TV series was finished Anno-san announced that we would take half a year off to rehabilitate before resuming work on the video version, and that we could work out the schedule to accommodate this. However, he was also then thinking about an original full-length [film].

貞本 『エヴァ』って夏の世界じゃないですか、それが美術が一変して、冬の世界にいきなり雪山の、ミサトとかもコート着て出てくる予定で、かっこいいじゃんとかとか思って、ぼくは内心ちょっとはりきってたんだけど。それがリメイクってことになって、なーんだ、ぼくの仕事ないじゃん、って。

Sadamoto: The plan was that - Eva takes place in a world of summer, right? - the art style would change drastically, and you would all of a sudden have Misato and the others appear wearing coats on snowy mountains in a world of winter. I was a bit enthused, inwardly, thinking how cool that would be. But that turned into the remake, and it was like, ahh, [now] there's nothing for me to do.
Last edited by 1731298478 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 9 times in total.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Very interesting as usual, Numbers-kun. Your translations are often so useful.

And yet again, Olivier Hague has been vindicated! From http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/2001-April/039702.html :

But did they ever state that there would be no more Eva? After all, they intended to make the Summer 97 movie an original story, independently from the alternate ending (first supposed to be released on video only)... And there are still some Gainax members who would like to make (or at least, to see ^^) that one.

It was supposed to take place in snowy landscapes (instead of the "endless summer" setting), to have new characters, and overall a more realistic touch (some of the Gainax members called it "a sort of Hard-gelion" ^^). Who knows?... In a few years, maybe?...

Which matches up perfectly with your Sato translation:

...well, if I had to say, something like a "hard-gelion" (laughing).

Also good to see more evidence of Okada's reliability.

I think this will help with interpreting the old interviews - the apparent equivocation was always confusing, but now that I know what Anno was talking about, perhaps some things will fall into place.

Also, what does http://www.style.fm/as/05_column/animesama60.shtml actually say? (It's the usual half-understandable nonsense in Google Translate, unfortunately.)

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:19 am

View Original Postgwern wrote:And yet again, Olivier Hague has been vindicated! From http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/2001-April/039702.html :[

Ah, very interesting!
View Original Postgwern wrote:Also, what does http://www.style.fm/as/05_column/animesama60.shtml actually say? (It's the usual half-understandable nonsense in Google Translate, unfortunately.)

The relevant part is:
TVシリーズの放映が終了したのが1996年3月。翌4月には「第弐拾伍話 終わる世界」、「最終話 世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」を当初の脚本に沿ったかたちで作り直す事が発表され、次いで劇場版の製作が発表された。最初に劇場版製作が発表された段階では、それは第弐拾伍話と最終話のリメイクとは別の完全新作オリジナルであると説明されていたのだ。結局、完全新作の『エヴァ』劇場版は造られなかったわけだが、もし造られていたらどんなものになっていたのか、是非知りたいものだ。

The broadcast of the TV series finished in March 1996. In April, it was announced that episode 25 ("A World Ending") and episode 26 ("The Beast that Shouted 'I' at the Heart of the World") would be remade following the original script [or scripts]. After that, the production of a movie version was announced. At the stage when production of the movie version was first announced, it was explained that it would be a completely new, original work, different from the remakes of episodes 25 and 26. In the end, the completely new Eva film version was not made, but I would love to know what it would have been like if it had been made.

The writer, Yuichiro Oguro, wrote the commentary for the original LD release of Evangelion and was responsible for the written content of the theatrical programs for Death and Rebirth and EoE. He also wrote extra commentary for the Tomo no Kai pamphlets. This is from an additional episode-by-episode commentary he published online in 2006 that deals a bit more with his personal feelings towards the series and the atmosphere at the time. He actually doesn't seem to be aware here of Sadamoto and Sato's comments.
Last edited by 1731298478 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:The writer, Yuichiro Oguro, wrote the commentary for the original LD release of Evangelion and was responsible for the written content of the theatrical programs for Death and Rebirth and EoE. He also wrote extra commentary for the Tomo no Kai pamphlets. This is from an additional episode-by-episode commentary he published online in 2006 that deals a bit more with his personal feelings towards the series and the atmosphere at the time. He actually doesn't seem to be aware here of Sadamoto and Sato's comments.

Interesting, so his comments may be of value.

(Makes me wonder what else lies in http://www.style.fm/as/05_column/animesama62.shtml and http://www.style.fm/as/05_column/animesama63.shtml )

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm just going to go ahead and bump this to the post-Q era.

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:Sadamoto: The plan was that - Eva takes place in a world of summer, right? - the art style would change drastically, and you would all of a sudden have Misato and the others appear wearing coats on snowy mountains in a world of winter. I was a bit enthused, inwardly, thinking how cool that would be. But that turned into the remake, and it was like, ahh, [now] there's nothing for me to do.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 am

Oh, that explains Mari, then - consolation prize for Sadamoto!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 am

It looks like Eva Q finally gave Anno his wintery Eva battles.... almost. We saw some snow in the beginning, but any actual Eva battles take place among a pit of giant skulls.

You know, with as confusing and as jumbled as these interviews are, what with projects that may for may never have been in serious consideration for production in the late 90's, it really just shows how unstructured Gainax really was at the time, how ill-adept at planning they were at the time, and how the Evangelion franchise really was their first big money-maker in their career. Everyone in house clamoring to get Anno and his creative team to do this or that with the existing ending that might lead into this or that kind of spin-off that may or may not be produced after EoE would be completely understandable if another Eva meant finally being in the black for the studio. Instead, they somehow managed to do things other than milk the Eva franchise dry of all of its creative resources.

In this context, I'd half expect Gainax to simply assign other people to the Eva franchise after Anno finished EoE, and just keep the Eva money train a-comin' with different directors and creative teams. I'm honestly kind of surprised that didn't happen.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”