Character Pages

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Yeah, most of what else I've seen that I *could* add to character pages (using examples from other wiki projects) seems like pointless filler to me: we have already seen the series, we know what they did, so I wanted to get them deeper into "who" the characters are.

Of course, these things are very, very subjective and not much explored in material outside the series, so I'm feeling antsy about being the only one who got the ball rolling with regards to their profiles, but thanks for your input, SSD.

Manga background is a must, though since I don't read the manga, I can't do it.

I also plan to stick in more images of the characters at certain special stages: Ritsuko with her undyed hair, l''il Shinji from episode 21, etc. But other than those two factors, I'm sort of lost.

Rank doesn't have the word "Scribe"/another Eva Geeks helper Title next to it?? (Same with Bob/Smith's info for that matter...)

That's fixed now. Ooh, I'm just like Seshat :P

(note: does not really have a god complex)
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 am

The width of the character infobox in the top right of the screen being determined by whatever-percentage of the screen width is a bad idea! It looks hella cool if I make the browser window smaller but when I maximize the window it goes all blargh, it should be kept in mind different screen resolutions are being used by different people - imagine what it's like for someone like EvaMonkey who has a widescreen laptop! The background image could be made wider too (there's the same problem with the forum banner, but it's only short by 50 or so pixels for me)...

Can we come to some agreement on the content layout for each character page in this thread? The "Tokyo 3" segments for each character don't make sense and could be part of the Profile segment oftentimes, a lot of the stuff put in the Profile segments could go in the Past segment too...

I'm figuring the Profile segment should be like the character's CV, with boring information about where they were born, their education, their rank in Nerv, what previous jobs they possessed, their blood type, the car they drive, that sort of stuff.

The problem is the layout needs to be inclusive for all characters. I guess something like this would be logical, but I haven't thought it through so there's bound to be things I'm missing -

-see above

Inside Neon Genesis Evangelion
-stuff about what happens to each character in the show and what that tells us about them.

Outside Neon Genesis Evangelion
-stuff about the characters drawn from media outside of Evangelion.

Notes
-random trivia.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm trying to get my ass in gear with working on the 'pedia again, so I'm looking for input on how to do this.

For the minor characters, I'm wondering if we even need a "Past" section, if it could be trimmed down to just a blurb at the top of the page before heading into the "Profile" heading. But on the other hand, it seems obligatory to have it if a "Past" heading is needed for a major character, though I'd als consider working a characters' past into their "Profile".

Thoughts?

(can't help you with the page layout)
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:36 pm

I can possibly do a sweep of the pages over the weekend and come up with some ideas...

Worthless post, I know.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:23 am

Just wanted to point out that somebody who knows more about the manga should probably work on this section: http://evageeks.org/FGP/Kaworu_Nagisa#Sadamoto.27s_Manga

When reading the stages with Manga Kaworu he could have romantically/sexually liked Shinji, but I never saw the "helping Shinji breath" bit as kissing him.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:31 am

While putting together the character's portal page, I discovered a rather troubling discrepancy. While character's like Dr. Katsuragi and Kyoko have their own pages others have no page at all, not even a stub and have been relegated to the Minor Character's page where most do not get so much as a paragraph.

Such notables include: Shiro Tokita (The JA Guy), The UN officers, The Naval officers from #08, and Nebukawa no Sensei himself!! Needless to say, this is somewhat of a scandal and should be corrected post haste.

It's most likely that these omissions resulted from poor navigation on the Wiki. No-one noticed they were missing because no-one could see that they were. Hopefully the new navigation portals will help to alleviate this problem. I'm currently working on a way of including minor characters into the character's portal template, but of course we need pages too.

There's obviously a question over which characters should actually get a page, and which should be grouped in "minor character" pages. Personally, my attitude is that—given the nigh zero cost of digital hosting—the wiki should adopt an inclusionist philosophy and give most characters their own pages and paragraphs (and pictures). Our only problem should be where to put information. Not what is or isn't "notable".

Can people get working on at least creating stub pages? While we're at it, are there any new volunteer scribes about? (There will be some work in the coming weeks as well.)
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:01 am

(1)
Not sure what I think about OMF's post right above this one. There are a handful of characters currently lacking pages who probably warrant them, but, by and by, I think that fleshing out the Minor & Extracanonical Character pages, and creating a bunch of redirect pages, would be better than scattering sparse information over a bunch of stubby pages.

(2)
At some point while I wasn't paying attention to the Wiki, it looks like OMF split all of the characters' "(Other Media)" sections to separate pages. I don't know why he did it, but it bothers me and I think this is a bad idea that creates unnecessary / chaotic schism where it doesn't seem warranted.

(3)
The characters' infoboxes are currently VERY sparse of info -- name, birthday, seiyu... that's it -- and could probably stand to be expanded quite a bit. For the sake of completeness, even if a lot of the information seems "self-explanatory". Some suggestions in no particular order:

- Sex (or is that so straightforward that it qualifies as a waste of space? ;p )
- Affiliation (e.g., "Nerv, Seele, & Japanese Government")
- Heritage/Ethnicity/Appropriate Term: For those obnoxious multinationals.
- Rank/Title: For Nerv personnel and pilots especially
- Dub VAs: Sure, whatever.
- Blood Type: Yes, we actually have this for some of the characters. <_<
- Height: We don't have official heights for most of the characters, but it would be nice to put the "best guess" calculations in an easy-to-access place.
- Relations: blood relatives, spouse(s), the like
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:27 am

Can anyone make updates or does it have to be the people who run this joint? Some characters could use a update like kensuke page need a update really badly.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 am

Anyone can make updates, with the pre-requisite that they have a forum account, since discussion of the wiki happens here instead of the Talk pages:

https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4512/Scribe-Sign-Up-Sheet/

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:38 am

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Can anyone make updates or does it have to be the people who run this joint? Some characters could use a update like kensuke page need a update really badly.

What exactly do you want to update?

Further, based on what you said in this post your spelling and grammar are poor and your opinions of the Eva characters and the creators are unduly harsh. I'm not convinced that you're going to contribute anything meaningful.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:57 pm

That because the truth is harsh for those who can't handle it.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:07 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:That because the truth is harsh for those who can't handle it.

Well, the harsh truth is that you're never going to go on the wiki. Handle it.

In any case, for anyone who's inclined, I've got a new page on character designs started and I do need help with good screenshots - of the character height chart and skin colors, for instance, and also of their wardrobes. Misato and Ritsuko wear quite a few dresses across the show, and even Shinji has variety in his T-shirts.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_Character_Designs
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Can we maybe stick to metric? America may be the center of the universe but the wiki gets hits from all over the world and should probably avoid using a measurement system everyone else abandoned long ago.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Or you guys could finally catch up to the rest and convert :tongue:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:47 am

I just threw in the Imperial units as a placeholder - I've been used to using Imperial Units for heights and Metric for everything else, which is why I tend to put distances on a map in kilometers but height in feet and inches! I'll be including both for the sake of convenience to everyone... although I think TMB's suggestion is a good one :heehee:

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Split the enormous tangent on Misato's hair to its own thread beginning here.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Character Pages

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:32 pm

With the need to split out Rebuild-only stuff, I've started looking at the character pages, and... OH BOY. I was never really that involved with this aspect of the site, but maybe that was a mistake...

Our main boy's page is basically a gigantic summary, which is a real problem, which I write about a little here. (The approach to his interrelationships is also a disaster.) Joseki mentioned to me the need to standardize the character pages, and I absolutely agree. There needs to be a common approach and it needs to be consistently implemented. This would also help sort a lot of the clutter with the random character-based pages that are just floating around, not doing much of anything in particular.

In my opinion, these character pages should be an overview. They should provide a variety of useful information and use their space efficiently. A one-stop shop, as it were. There is no need to go overboard and emphasize one thing at the expense of all else.

Once I'm done with my current splitting assignment, I'm going to try to do some character writing for the Rebuild pages. Shinji's Rebuild page needs to be effectively constructed from scratch, for instance. This would be an opportune time to test what on the preexisting character pages works well and is worth standardizing, and what doesn't work and needs to be set on fire. It may take a few more days before I get there, so those of you who have more familiarity than I with the character pages already, please feel free to offer suggestions, advice, assistance, etc.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”