Is there any good NGE fanfic?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 pm

I like a lot of MidnightCereal's stuff. Some of it is written with a rather hard, uncharacteristic, literary slant though.

In the Dark Room is the most traditional approach, and a post EoE too, though I don't know if you would consider it 'good'. His idea of Instrumentality is a little divorced from what we're given to understand in the series. (Shinji could have made the world a Heaven, but chose not to. All he did was make a special sort of Hell for SEELE.)

Not really my read of EoE, but whatevs.
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Perfection is hard

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:40 pm

View Original Posty3k wrote:Contrast to this, Genocide tells the exact same kind of story with (to my knowledge) a writing team of only one, and does a far better job.

I can pretty much confirm that Genocide has a writing team of only one. But thankfully I do have several people to call me on the bullshit.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm hereby calling you out on the bullshit of having not finished the second half of the finale yet :P

(<3 <3 <3)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:25 pm

GOOD fanfics? Hmm... much harder than merely listing ones I enjoy.

I'd start with suggesting the work of Verb@l Kint, especially "Reaching for the Ring". It's like a remake of Catcher in the Rye starring Shinji, and very much in the same mood as ep4. I'm also quite fond of "Hopes and Heroes", though it fails your instrumentality standard.

sedemihcrA's (unfinished) "My Own Personal Revolution" is quite good, if you can accept the averted 3I setup and aren't turned off by the somewhat Pahalaniauk-ish writting style.

Sideris' "Acceptable Losses" (also unfinished) seems to be shaping up quite nicely. Though I suppose I shouldn't use the world 'nice' anywhere near this, honestly. Bleakness abounds.

Fresh C's "When She Smiles" peters out quite a bit at the end, but the first few chapters are fantastic.

I'm suprised nobody's mentioned Merridian's work yet. Many of them are well worth reading, but if I had to pick just one to showcase I'd go with "Conversations in a Street Side Diner".
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:46 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'd start with suggesting the work of Verb@l Kint, especially "Reaching for the Ring". It's like a remake of Catcher in the Rye starring Shinji, and very much in the same mood as ep4. I'm also quite fond of "Hopes and Heroes", though it fails your instrumentality standard.

Hopes and Heroes bugged me. It read like the guy really, really wanted a bittersweet ending, and came up with some really hackneyed ways to make it happen.

I kinda like Angels Have No Memories, though.

Sideris' "Acceptable Losses" (also unfinished) seems to be shaping up quite nicely. Though I suppose I shouldn't use the world 'nice' anywhere near this, honestly. Bleakness abounds.

A cast I don't recognize and a central character who eats the people I do recognize? Pass.

Fresh C's "When She Smiles" peters out quite a bit at the end, but the first few chapters are fantastic.

I did enjoy that. The ending was a little fuzzy, but I liked the fact that Asuka never really got better; she had a psychotic break and learned to function afterwards, but she was never the same person. That's pretty gutsy in NGE fanfic.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:03 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Hopes and Heroes bugged me. It read like the guy really, really wanted a bittersweet ending, and came up with some really hackneyed ways to make it happen.

It's not like he didn't foreshadow both charecters' ends well before the time came though (check the Pen^2 scene again), so it's far from just shoehorned in there.

What really does bug me, however (and in most post-3I fics), is the idea that there's still a town left to wander about in. The black moon got yanked out of the Earth right under the city and it's wider by far than Tokyo-3's city limits, so what the hell town is left? It should be just some random debris, and certainly no intact shops full of snacks and whatnot. Even worse are fics where Nerv HQ is somehow still down there... but I digress. Pet peeve.

I did enjoy that. The ending was a little fuzzy, but I liked the fact that Asuka never really got better; she had a psychotic break and learned to function afterwards, but she was never the same person. That's pretty gutsy in NGE fanfic.

If you don't like the person you were, is ending up a different person really such a bad thing though?

My favorite part of the fic was not Asuka however (though that wasn't bad), but rather the exploration of how Shinji and Misato dealt with her condition. Lots of stuff there that absolutely rings true, though depressing all the same.

Digression split to http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10374 -- Tines
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Only good fanfics in existence is Aeneid

and that isn't even eva fanfic.

In short the answer is: NO

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Is there any good NGE fanfic?

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The Foregone Conclusion does as well, though it gets...strange after the first few chapters (which disappointed the hell out of me, since I thought it was hot stuff up through chapter 5. After that...uuuuuuuuugh.).

Eh, hopefully you'll give it another chance once I get Kodama back in there. Just couldn't go much further with the insane-Asuka and still keep a straight face, metaphorically speaking. I mean, telling someone they're actually retarded and that you aborted there kid -- not really topping that, I don't think.

So now I have Rei and Kodama and the Shrike to play with. Wee.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:41 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Eh, hopefully you'll give it another chance once I get Kodama back in there. Just couldn't go much further with the insane-Asuka and still keep a straight face, metaphorically speaking. I mean, telling someone they're actually retarded and that you aborted there kid -- not really topping that, I don't think.

So now I have Rei and Kodama and the Shrike to play with. Wee.

Well, honestly the direction you're headed with it really isn't my thing. Which is fine; it doesn't have to be.

I admit I'd give a hell of a lot to see Kodama again, though. Your take on her was pretty fucking awesome.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:24 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, honestly the direction you're headed with it really isn't my thing. Which is fine; it doesn't have to be.

I admit I'd give a hell of a lot to see Kodama again, though. Your take on her was pretty fucking awesome.

Ditto, I was loving it right up until Shinji left to begin his superman training in an alternate universe. I'll still read it, but most of the shine has rubbed off.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:15 am

I remember one time somebody didn't do research. Came up with a bunch of bullshit about some british bastard child of Fox Mulder. Legend has it his skin was flayed by a mob of angry otaku.

Those were good times.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:25 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:some british bastard child of Fox Mulder.
IIRC that was back when the first excavations were only just beginning. And it included a scene that got re-used in Rebuild 2.x.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Dude. Only X-COM / Eva crossover. That makes it GREAT.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:13 am

Children of an elder god
Leave Shinji alone

Nordmead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nordmead » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:21 pm

I understand that I am necroing the **** out of this thread. I understand that the tastes of the OP may have changed in the five years since the creation of this thread. HOWEVER, I feel as though I absolutely must share my thoughts on this thread since there are no other substantial "what is good fanfic" threads.

It's name is Thousand Shinji.
As the name implies, it is a crossover fic between the Warhammer 40K universe and NGE. The idea of a WH40K+NGE fic is in itself a good idea, since both have incredibly bleak tones to them.
The biggest problem with crossover fics is that one usually must be well-versed in the lore of both universes, and this presents problems for some people (I'm looking at you, Aeon Natum Engel). This is not the case. The author manages to nearly seamlessly blend the WH40K exposition into plot progression. So it will not leave that weird aftertaste like other xovers. Though the characters end up drastically different in the end of the fic than in the canon universe, there is significant character development, moreso than in the TV series, and it also manages to maintain the feeling of hopelessness and inevitability throughout despite how the characters evolve. It is extraordinarily well written and does not get carried away with itself like some others. Also, the ending; it is very satisfying.

Sorry, just my two cents.

ElessaurTheDino
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ElessaurTheDino » Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 am

Well i've only read one good NGE fanfic and it's called Red Tears.However, because your especifications are so expecific it might not be for ya.
Firtly it's a ship fic (Ayanami/Shinji).Second, Gendo is extremely out of caracter, for the sake of him being the antagonist.However, Shinji is not useless and Asuka has a good side, and they all show caracteristics and naivety of teenagers, and almost all caracters have quite the depth. The first 9 chapters are kinda dull, but it gets really good.The ending gave some feels man.

But if you are completely against ship fics an ooc then i am out of ideas.
Elessaur

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat May 26, 2018 1:14 pm

We have a pretty robust fan fiction list over on the Eva subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/wiki/fan-fiction

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 26, 2018 2:19 pm

It's very short on Rebuild-related works; jcmoorehead's for instance: Hand Cannot Erase and You Must (Not) Run Away.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 pm

i think this one might be worth a read:
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... t-10770285
^_^

-> is a direct sequel to NGE(picks off right when eoe ends)
-> is uniquely written and structured like an episode to simulate the effect of watching a show
-> is character driven while retaining the action and suspense of a mecha series. That said, the mecha action is really only a tool to drive the character arcs which are the centerpiece of the story
-> Got uber symbolism
-> tries to use as little exposition as possible to come across as an experience
-> features anno style mind sequences
-> is constantly revised and edited based on feedback
->new episodes are released periodically like a tv show
-> it has pen pen!

barnett
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby barnett » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:51 am

I discovered this thread only after the last post and found it very interesting as I completely agree with Bagheera's first post.
I'd love to read more EVA fanfic but I could not care less about AU, crossovers, or time travels. Over-exposition is also the other common problem I found in so many stories ("Shinji asked himself...” "Asuka froze and remembered when..." etc) - this is kinda funny considering how good is EVA at hinting rather than explaining (sure the difference in the nature of the medium does not help).
So it's not a coincidence that my favourite fanfics are Rommel's Genocide and Bagheera's own Ghosts of Evangelion, they are two stories that try hard to remain faithful to the show (at least in spirit-they're maybe a bit too melodramatic, especially GoE). But I think it would be great to have not just post-EoE or alt-finale stories set along these lines. For example, the NGE plot (but also the NTE time skip) offers great opportunities for in-universe, in-character "fill-in-the-blanks" stories.

Return to “Fanfiction”