FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:30 pm

So my time zone is preventing me from actually talking to people, so it gets rather boring when I'm here studying or working. Donut is the only exception because he's nocturnal or some crap like that, so that's one friend I'm not concerned about in terms of getting ahold of. Everyone else....eeeh kinda tricky. My boyfriend hasn't been too hard either but he does have a bed time, unlike me.

It's also sorta hard because I have trouble making friends in real life, because I absolutely cannot connect with people irl at all. When I used to have a real job (mind you, the job I used to have that was real and not me doing online surveys for pennies) I didn't understand anyone, like they just feel way too "normal" to me to really get them. Also, I've tried stuff like anime club and school to make friends, and people irl who share my interests are incredibly pretentious about it 90% of the time, which is why I only have two friends irl. College was harder because there were less people my age and more adults with uninteresting hobbies, but I didn't mind being acquainted with them. That being said, even in college, I find kids into nerd shit like gaming and anime, but they really have no interest, despite me expressing my interests, in actually wanting to be friends with me. There was a girl who had this really aloof personality, but liked lots of stuff I liked, but merely shook my hand and forgot my name and details of the conversation we had the next day. It's just.....whyyyyy
Last edited by r1cepurin on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dataprime
Donor
Donor

Postby Dataprime » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am

One of my best friends moved to California, my other friend is really sick, my dog is getting old and
is having trouble moving around - I don't know what to do anymore :|

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Stryker
Seed
Seed

Postby Stryker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:37 am

Take up dance, and a martial art.

That's what I did.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Within the past few months 3 of my friends of have had some severe marital (or nonlegal multi-year cohabitation) problems. One suddenly hit with divorce out of the blue and he was hospitalized for suicidal thoughts, number two's girlfriend/mother of some of his kids is having some sort of Borderline episode checked herself out of the psyche ward with a new lover she met in the bin and abandoned her family, and today a buddy of mine who was up in Chicago taking the bar exam asked me to check in on his kids since he was on his way home but still hours away and phone tag was getting 'weird'... turns out the wife has been drinking herself into a coma the last few days while the kids have been scrounging up sandwiches for themselves and the youngest has somehow injured his neck.

So not really a FML exactly, but I'm vicariously bummed out all the same.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Ieyasu » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:14 am

Murders are rare things, but it's all happenin' this week. :facepalm:
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Gus Hanson
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:17 pm

Feeling worried about a close Facebook friend of mine who actually cut himself and showed a photo on his page. Not just for his health and sanity but also the possibility that the authorities could crack down on his territory if he doesn't get rid of that picture right away.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:26 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Feeling worried about a close Facebook friend of mine who actually cut himself and showed a photo on his page. Not just for his health and sanity but also the possibility that the authorities could crack down on his territory if he doesn't get rid of that picture right away.

It actually makes me disgusted about today's so-called social networking culture and why they have to do these stunts but it only makes their personal problems much worse.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Tomorrow morning some clinical trial auditors are expected to ask me for documentation of the proof of correctness of an installation of Windows Server made in 2002. It was made before I joined this group, and I'm certain it wasn't done, let alone documented. I mean, how do you even do that if you're not Microsoft?

I fall back on trust of the hardware and systems, given that the servers are designed well beyond desktop system (with error-detecting memory and all that) to detect any flaw in data transmission that could cause a flaw to exist.

Back in the 1990s, even the notoriously tough FDA accepted "widespread industry use" as sufficient verification of Windows as a software package, knowing full well that there was no realistic alternative.

What I don't know is whether these people are asking for the impossible because they don't understand, or whether they do understand and want to see how I react.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "It was yourself you ran away from" - episode 16. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Iuvenal
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:34 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Tomorrow morning some clinical trial auditors are expected to ask me for documentation of the proof of correctness of an installation of Windows Server made in 2002. It was made before I joined this group, and I'm certain it wasn't done, let alone documented. I mean, how do you even do that if you're not Microsoft?

I fall back on trust of the hardware and systems, given that the servers are designed well beyond desktop system (with error-detecting memory and all that) to detect any flaw in data transmission that could cause a flaw to exist.

Back in the 1990s, even the notoriously tough FDA accepted "widespread industry use" as sufficient verification of Windows as a software package, knowing full well that there was no realistic alternative.

What I don't know is whether these people are asking for the impossible because they don't understand, or whether they do understand and want to see how I react.

What do they even mean by "correctness" in this context - that the OS was correctly installed (i guess you could do checksums of all the system files periodically to verify this and to guard against bitrot), or that the OS and whatever apps are riding on it operate in a provably correct manner for their intended use (completely infeasible for a general-purpose operating system)? I work partly with safety-critical systems, and there are some terms that have precise meanings in this field and related fields (eg. medical devices) that tend to get misused more often than properly used (and understandably so, because they mostly had colloquial meanings before industry groups or standards bodies co-opted them to signify specific things in a rigorous manner).
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Ieyasu » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:27 pm

What does a rodent in an attic sound like?

I can hear a scraping noise like someone on the other side of a plaster divide knocking it or scraping it occasionally. But I've never had a rat before. Whatever's making the noise seems amplified through either a wall or the plasterboard. At first I thought it was my next door neighbor doing something; the walls aren't that thick, but it's too sporadic. No little footfalls, just the occasional scrape sounds, maybe only once or twice a day.

My imagination is thinking of something chewing on a rafter and using the ceiling as a soundboard. Or maybe its a bird. Whatever it is, it goes silent if I make a noise.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:31 pm

View Original PostIeyasu wrote:What does a rodent in an attic sound like?

I can hear a scraping noise like someone on the other side of a plaster divide knocking it or scraping it occasionally. But I've never had a rat before. Whatever's making the noise seems amplified through either a wall or the plasterboard. At first I thought it was my next door neighbor doing something; the walls aren't that thick, but it's too sporadic. No little footfalls, just the occasional scrape sounds, maybe only once or twice a day.

My imagination is thinking of something chewing on a rafter and using the ceiling as a soundboard. Or maybe its a bird. Whatever it is, it goes silent if I make a noise.

You've got a rat. Call the exterminator immediately.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Or leave out some snackies and welcome your new neighbor. No worse than a stray cat or a ferret, really.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Ieyasu » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Just concerned about wires, I've got halogen lights embedded with electrics that run up there exposed. I kinda don't wanna die in a fire, but I suppose I would have already if rats liked them. I've been hearing this little jerk for over a year. Sometimes I think it takes vacations and comes back.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:58 pm

If you think you've got a rat, there's no harm in setting out a few traps. If the noise persists, then perhaps it might be a good idea to call somebody to take care of whatever it is.

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 am

I just had my balls cupped by the TSA. Twice. This is what happens when you have an old cell phone that can't be turned on without being plugged into a wall socket.
Set phasers to thrill.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:03 am

I guess I survived my audit - but they may be good at poker and preparing to pull our systems apart in their report. We'll see. Anyway, I told them that the FDA had accepted that Windows and SQL Server are widely enough used in the industry to require no further validation by us, and that suggested that validation of the programs running on top of them validated the platforms implicitly - and they didn't argue with that. I expect their main complaint to be that we don't sufficiently log our processes (especially for backup and disaster recovery) when we feel that the system logs are adequate.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "It was yourself you ran away from" - episode 16. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Ieyasu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:51 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:If you think you've got a rat, there's no harm in setting out a few traps. If the noise persists, then perhaps it might be a good idea to call somebody to take care of whatever it is.

Was thinking about it, though I don't have personal access to the space where the sounds come from. I'd have to get the landlord and I didn't want to haul him over if it wasn't really a rat or something up there, but... there's no other way to find out without access. I guess I'll have to. Might be amusing since we don't get along anyway to watch him try squeeze up in there and aggravate his allergies.

Thing about traps... whether humane or inhumane, pretty much every time I was around someone who had to use them for a rat problem, they didn't work. A neighbor of mine tried every fancy and non fancy method including poison to get rid of a rat and it just never worked. Those old fashioned head snappers? The bait was always gone and the trap left unsprung. The humane traps were the same. The rat poison wasn't eaten. We thought we were dealing with a super rat or NIMH escapee. Somehow the little bastard was able to trigger the humane traps, eat the bait, but still escape. Maybe all the traps just sucked but the real nasty ones were inscribed with something that talked about "guaranteed results", lol. He met his demise in the end though, all by himself by investigating her wheelie bin around the same time the bin men and their trash truck turned up.

I'm not confident a bunch of traps would work either. And from what I've seen poison is pretty inhumane to them. They go a little crazy and start venturing into open spaces and doing strange things, and I assume they're suffering badly.

I doubt they'd do anything drastic for one rat, landlord will probably just buy traps too. Awh well.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Draw the rat into your sphere with treats and teach it to kill.

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:37 am

You've wandered into the H.P. Lovecraft short story The Rats in the Walls. Evacuate the house.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Sister actually got fired from her job, after a constant string of complaints.

Considering the fact that the apartment is linked to the job, she must move out in late August.
and it's highly conflicting with my flight date home (late September). She told me she will pay for us to go to a hostel, but I'm still upset because since Japan, this is the second time she accepts a job internationally, I visit, then she quits or gets fired. I'm going to share a room with people I don't know for a month, and this is only because changing my flight is more expensive. I trusted that this wouldn't happen, and it still did. Hostel is $250 equivalent per month, which she said she'll pay for, but she told me I must work on online surveys extra, and I need to carry her bags like I did when this happened at her last job.

EDIT: so I guess at this point we're not leaning towards the hostel and moreso changing my ticket. Even though this means my days here are more numbered, it's an incentive to go out and seize the day as much as I can. Also, my dad will chip in as well as my sister, because they're the only good people in my family. My sister will pay a bit, and so will I. I just hope everything goes alright. The only thing I'm pretty grateful for is that I was at least able to come and stay for a while.
Last edited by r1cepurin on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”