Shinji in 4.0 Speculation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:25 pm

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:She was a clone of Yui not Rei,

While this is likely true, the comment "your original was ..." (can't remember the rest) might at least be seen to leave the other possibility open.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:41 am

Honestly, I understand Shinji. I'm already protected by my prior knowledge of the Rei’s origin and have time and emotional detachment to consider the situation calmly, so my reactions can be more thoughtful, but when I saw Rei Q I did not know as call her (I do not know who invented the term "Rei Q", but I thank you), I think it would be wrong to call her Rei, since she seems to be someone else, maybe I could call her Ayanami, after being a clone of Yui makes sister of original, but Shinji always called Rei II only by her last name and he could not call Rei Q the same way. I do not know if I could talk to her, and to be honest, in place of Shinji, I do not know what I would feel for her, after a devastating sequence of infodumps and especially after seeing the collection of heads of Gendo and Fuyu . With that amount of heads, I cannot dismiss the image that clones have expiration dates and fall apart after a time: falling heads, arms and legs and forming goo (I'm sci-fi fan and this concept is older and spread that EoE, so I would have thought it anyway.). Anno was weak in demonstrating this, but he never tried very hard to describe Shinji’s situation favorably, the most important character was always Gendo, then it is normal Eva.

Although I not trust Kaworu and I not believe the wasteland and the madness that took place in Lilith chamber were the work of Shinji, but with him being accused of planetary genocide, being the most hated being of human history and knowing that there is no redemption, there is no forgiveness and that my life was useless waste, in place of Shinji, I'd be more concerned about killing myself than think about the people around me. The desire for suicide is inherently selfish, but I will not be hypocritical and say that would not do or at least try instead. It would have been better to Shinji in EoE and Eva Q.

skulkidcachi90t wrote: That person ask all the time what want Rei Ayanami Do?, is pretty damm obvious, heck even Shinji notice than she not have any idea of what suppose she is.

The situation could have worsened much if Shinji continued to insist on trying to make Rei Q in the original. Considering the "hunger for orders" that she had Shinji could have caused major damage trying to model her as a doll to be what he wanted. The temptation could have been great (and I'd rather never know what I would do in his place), this has always been one of the accusations made against Shinji and Rei, it was good to see that it was unfounded. I would have hated him too if he did that. Play God reshaping the minds of people for their own benefit is a characteristic of Gendo and only he is successful at it in Eva, since it is the author's avatar (even Kaworu failed!). I think Shinji was in no condition to help anyone to find herself because he is basically an undead from another era, has no more place in the world and is only alive because Anno is a sadistic and likes to have fun. Self discovery is a privilege for the living and not for the dead and NTE! Shinji belongs to the dead. He knows that. We know that and all who saw Q too. His life is over. The Rei Q’s life is starting. Do the math.

I'm sorry, really sorry for what happened to Shinji, I admit that I also would have tried to save the Rei, I has also said the nonsense that want everyone to fu@? yourselves, I could not also find the words to comfort others and I was blind to help those in need. I also would have left the Wunder and I would have been more rude when I did. Except trust Kaworu, I would have made the same Shinji's errors and one more, the most definitive. I've never been perfect and I doubt that's possible, but I never was so cursed as Shinji. Anno is writing such a surreal story that is no longer even possible to understand what the message is. Shinji is as cancer or Alzheimer's disease patients, in time, the family begins to give up. I've got the stage of acceptance: I not absorbed anything positive of EoTV, I not absorbed anything positive of EoE and I doubt I will go absorb something good of the last movie. I really cannot understand the message of Anno and I think I never be able to. I just pray to not see the ridiculous Gendo's litany about fear of the invisible bonds that bind people. Once has already been more than I can handle it.

Nekoleon15
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nekoleon15 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:38 pm

I know one thing about all this, I just want to see Shinji stand up on his own again, and just find a way to move on, to forgive himself and such. Thing is, despite everything it shouldn't be game, set, and match just yet for him. 3.0+1.0 is going to be where it all is put to the test. All the things he did in 3.0 was like he was trying so dang hard to get out of a nightmare that he caused, just for that moment of saving Rei when she was taken from him. It just goes to show that Evangelion are just weapons of mass destruction, even twisting a person's wishes, even if it isn't exactly what he wanted to say before, and was just said out of getting her back. Nothing ever seems to come good with Evas if it can end an entire world, even by a kid's hands, which seems to be exactly what it is, unless something is said to counteract what is assumed to have happened.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”