Toji and Hikari's Relationship in NME

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 am

They're all likely either dead or all grown up at this point, so the point is pretty much irrelevant

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:46 am

Everyone is either dead or grown up now (the time-skip has guaranteed that), so what useful point are you trying to make?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:They're all likely either dead or all grown up at this point, so the point is pretty much irrelevant

By seeing how his old classmates grown up, it would demonstrate the potential Shinji has to live and learn, despite adversity and failure.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:52 pm

By seeing how his old classmates grown up, it would demonstrate the potential Shinji has to live and learn, despite adversity and failure.

I don't know about that. They would probably just look at him with scorn, since the world is in ruins.
I don't know if Toji is still alive, but Hikari and Kensuke might be. I doubt they're doing well though. Kensuke might be Hikari's post-apocalyptic pimp. Although Kensuke as a pimp sounds too GANGSTA and cool for him. They both might be post-apocalyptic prostitutes.

Anno did say he'd given up that Otaku would change. I think it could only be "Look at the potential you had, look at the world around you, look at what you did."

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:16 pm

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote:I don't know about that. They would probably just look at him with scorn, since the world is in ruins.
I don't know if Toji is still alive, but Hikari and Kensuke might be. I doubt they're doing well though. Kensuke might be Hikari's post-apocalyptic pimp. Although Kensuke as a pimp sounds too GANGSTA and cool for him. They both might be post-apocalyptic prostitutes.

Hey, the world's got to repopulate somehow, right? :devil:

But most seriously, considering most of Nerv's staff AND Touji's sister are part of Wille, I doubt that Hikari and Kensuke are far behind. And I fully doubt that Wille themselves would even consider such a depraving act for those who have suffered. :irked:

Anno did say he'd given up that Otaku would change. I think it could only be "Look at the potential you had, look at the world around you, look at what you did."

Anno says a lot of things, but giving up hope that people change for the better is not one of them. Hell, giving up as a whole goes against everything that Evangelion stands for.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote:I don't know about that. They would probably just look at him with scorn, since the world is in ruins.

Why? As far as we know nobody outside of Wille even knows what happened.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:12 pm

And I fully doubt that Wille themselves would even consider such a depraving act for those who have suffered.

I wasn't really being serious. But soldiers in WWI and II did it and the sex trade would no doubt be booming in a world that's in shambles.

Why? As far as we know nobody outside of Wille even knows what happened.

That's true. I think it's unlikely though. Even if it was classified Hikari and Kensuke would probably know, either from Toji or simply deduced it themselves. Then there is the whole "Unit one being locked up in space" thing, which would be sure to raise up some suspicions about what caused this devastating event.

The general populace may be kept in the dark though.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Just to go back to the original topic of Toji shielding Hikari in the 2.22 scene, when 2.0 was first out in theaters, some (Japanese?) fans mentioned on here that Toji shielding/hugging Hikari the way he did implied "they're already in a close relationship".

Maybe this could be chalked up to cultural differences along with NTE's overall time compression, since 1.0 does have the shot of Hikari staring at Toji (and Kensuke) while they make the phone call to Shinji.

I'd again mention how PSP NGE2 Hikari's best end has Toji and Hikari confessing to each other, but NGE and NTE are 2 separate works.

Would be interesting if anything comes out of it in FINAL. Like my theorized Gunbuster-style scenario of older Toji/Hikari having a child (or children) and Shinji learning what's at stake for Earth's future if he doesn't grow up and take responsibility for his actions.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:25 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Just to go back to the original topic of Toji shielding Hikari in the 2.22 scene, when 2.0 was first out in theaters, some (Japanese?) fans mentioned on here that Toji shielding/hugging Hikari the way he did implied "they're already in a close relationship".

What angel attack would this have been against/during?

Edit - I'm a spider now, but not just any spider =P.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:34 pm

"Zeruel"/10th Angel, though there's so much speculation on who died from that battle's aftermath and who died (or didn't) during the timeskip... -o-;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”