[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 pm

Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 pm

There are a lot of things the F35 can't do that it's being forced to do...but that won't stop us from spending billions of dollars on it anyway.

:asuka_miffed:
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Sadly, this is usually what happens when you try to make a single machine that does everything: It ends up not being particularly great at any one of those things it's designed to do.
[Redacted]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:04 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Sadly, this is usually what happens when you try to make a single machine that does everything: It ends up not being particularly great at any one of those things it's designed to do.

Which is why Russia and China ends up ahead in the fighter business, just as the MiG-17 forced revising the Phantom and fighter tactics.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Sadly, this is usually what happens when you try to make a single machine that does everything: It ends up not being particularly great at any one of those things it's designed to do.

But I want a turret on it!

Courtesy of Gob Hobblin
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:36 am

After watching this video, it has become clear to me that the F-35 needs to be submersible and covered in 10 inches of lead plating.
[Redacted]

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:24 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:Courtesy of Gob Hobblin

Fireball started it :tongue:

F-35 is bloated rubbish project with wings, we scrapped the Harriers for a fucking paper project that is probably going to be inferior to the thing it succeeds, we'd have been better off producing brand new harrier air frames instead.
Last edited by Tankred on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 am

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:08 am

The Harrier was not a particularly good fighter to begin with, either. It did, at least, not have any aspirations beyond being a VTOL weapons platform. The F35 is just a mess, and because of it, tried and true platforms like the F18, F16, F15,and A10 are being sidelined. They need to be replaced, but tge lessons learned in designing those aircraft have been chucked out the window.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:34 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:The Harrier was not a particularly good fighter to begin with, either. It did, at least, not have any aspirations beyond being a VTOL weapons platform. The F35 is just a mess, and because of it, tried and true platforms like the F18, F16, F15,and A10 are being sidelined. They need to be replaced, but tge lessons learned in designing those aircraft have been chucked out the window.

The Harrier wasn't a particularly effective fighter but they still managed to shoot down a number of their contemporaries in the Falklands for no losses in those regards.

I don't quite know what to make of these ridiculously expensive weapon projects that we have running, the price isn't worth the production numbers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33361999

Joke proposal to move population of Hong Kong to Northern Ireland revealed decades later.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:23 am

He ended it with a bang.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/05/man-dies-instantly-after-launching-firework-off-head/

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 am

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Hopping-mad-Jack-Sexty-Bristol-man-toilet-pogo/story-26832648-detail/story.html

I dunno whether the headline, the photo, or the man's name is the best part of this story. One thing is for sure: Bristol continues leading the world in all things poo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:48 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/8/8916599/john-smedley-lizard-squad-julius-kivimaki-convicted

From what I understand, Finnish prisons aren't the same as Sing Sing.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:31 am

A case of misplaced priorities, perhaps -- http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/man-fined-for-sedating-girlfriend-so-he-could-keep-playing-video-games-31364186.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:51 am

the SJWs are gonna come out of the woodwork about how "videogaymes makes you EVUL towards wimmen!" because of this.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:34 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:the SJWs are gonna come out of the woodwork about how "videogaymes makes you EVUL towards wimmen!" because of his.

They don't really need much of an excuse to go off in my experience. It doesn't really matter what they say anymore anyways. The people who take them seriously will listen, but 90% of everyone else will just tune them out until they settle down again and go back their full time occupation of feeling sorry for themselves.

Banning video games would be like a 21st century version of prohibition. I'm not worried.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:25 pm

People who make any generalisation from a single specific case (whether about video games or SJWs) are just deluding themselves.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:33 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:People who make any generalisation from a single specific case (whether about video games or SJWs) are just deluding themselves.

In the case of SJWs, there are numerous cases and examples on social media suitable enough for me to make some generalizations on their behavior and typical thought process.

The problem with video games is the old adage of correlation implying causation. Someone who'd sedate their significant other so they would leave them alone has issues that would have been present regardless of whether they played video games or not.
Movin' Right Along

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:37 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:the SJWs are gonna come out of the woodwork about how "videogaymes makes you EVUL towards wimmen!" because of this.

:ehh: Huh? The "ban vidya" types are folks like Jack Thompson and Focus on the Family and the like, not SJWs. To the extent the latter care about video games (most don't) they want to see them become more diverse and inclusive of women and minorities, not banned. You're looking at the wrong end of the ideological spectrum!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Hillary Clinton among others have discussed banning violent video games before so his concerns aren't entirely unwarranted. Regardless, this really isn't the place to discuss this so I'm going to stop before we go off course here.
Movin' Right Along

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”