Terminator - Genisys (2015)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:56 pm

Shit, if Cameron's on board, I'll have to check it out. God knows he doesn't have to give false praise to a film if he doesn't like it.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Keep in mind, this is 'Titanic and Planet of the Smurfs' Cameron', not 'Terminator, T2, Aliens, True Lies, Cameron'. So take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Keep in mind, this is 'Titanic and Planet of the Smurfs' Cameron', not 'Terminator, T2, Aliens, True Lies, Cameron'. So take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Titanic is a technical masterwork of visual effects and craftsmanship that elevates the run-of-the-mill cornball story to heights of great enjoyment. It also has way more rewatch value, as far as I'm concerned, than Ferngully 3-D. I give major props to Cameron for basically trying to reinvent the film camera every time he makes a movie, though. He may have a big ego, but he's honestly earned it.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Avatar is visually impressive as fuck, too.

Also Titanic is an action movie with some tits and a cheeseball melodrama love story that got turned into a romance by the marketing department.

I continue to hold out hope that the "twists" that have been spoiled aren't the real one.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:14 pm

I just realized that this movie comes out in less than a month and still doesn't have an MPAA rating yet.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Keep in mind, this is 'Titanic and Planet of the Smurfs' Cameron', not 'Terminator, T2, Aliens, True Lies, Cameron'. So take his opinion with a grain of salt.

While those weren't his best, they were still ok movies, so I think we can at least expect it to be ok if we go by what he said.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:39 am

Those were good movies, though. I mean, I don't care for the content of either, but from a technical standpoint they were amazing. That tells me that if Cameron's endorsing the flick there's probably something to it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:09 am

Granted, it can be just mediocre and still be considered a huge improvement over the previous two movies.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:23 am

James Cameron's third favorite Alien movie is Paul W.S. Anderson's AVP.
His taste in entertainment may be iffy.

Oh & Terminator: Genysis is rated PG-13. If anyone cares.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:35 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:James Cameron's third favorite Alien movie is Paul W.S. Anderson's AVP.
His taste in entertainment may be iffy.

In fairness, apart from the first and second Alien films the field is pretty damn bleak. Fincher's efforts notwithstanding all the available options really suck (and I think it's reasonable to go with an option that doesn't shit all over your work).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:41 am

The title of this movie is bothersome. Like a gaping typo or something.

Sigh. I don't know, I love the old Terminator movies but the last couple felt underwhelming at best. What I want to see next is a movie that looks like the Future War scenes from the first two Terminator films. Those small few scenes from Reese's dreams or from T2 with the HKs hunting people down or where the Terminator busts into the underground compound and machineguns the resistance had more atmosphere and soul for me than any of the stuff from the last couple of movies. Yep, that's what I want. And it ain't gonna happen, especially with that age rating.
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81g199L8YA

Schwarzenegger punks his fans as the Terminator at Madam Tussauds.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Gotta love Arnold.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:43 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
Oh & Terminator: Genysis is rated PG-13. If anyone cares.

Well, I guess we can cross a re-enactment of the sex scene from the first film off the list of references they'll insert.

There probably won't be much human death or mutilation. I suspect the rating may be related to

The twist from the trailer spoiler  SPOILER: Show
how John is somehow made of nanomachines and bleeds ball bearings, rather than having the usual flesh layer.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:20 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Well, I guess we can cross a re-enactment of the sex scene from the first film off the list of references they'll insert.[/spoiler]

Well, it's not like we haven't already been able to see Emilia Clarke's bewbies several times, so nothing lost there.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:49 pm

First reviews are out. The best thing critics can say about it is the movie is not total garbage. Just mostly terrible.

P.S. Last time Jai Courtney starred in the 5th entry of a much-beloved franchise we got 'A Good Day to Die Hard'. I'm not saying that movie & 'Genysis' are going to be similar cinematic experiences but I'm not NOT saying it.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:22 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:First reviews are out. The best thing critics can say about it is the movie is not total garbage. Just mostly terrible.

So it's the jurrassic world of the terminator franchise then?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:10 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:First reviews are out. The best thing critics can say about it is the movie is not total garbage. Just mostly terrible.

People just need to accept that Cameron is the only person who can do a Terminator movie right. It's been two decades since T2, use other mediums like TV or games if you want but you're just not going to reinvigorate the franchise with another belated sequel/prequel/reboot/alternate continuity/whatever.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:13 pm

So I recently saw the movie like I am sure many who have posted in this thread have by now.

I quite enjoyed it, and to add I am not a huge terminator fan who is so deep into the lore, so if there was anything bad about it story wise. It would be invisible to me.

The movie seemed to be pretty solid, and while I did enjoy it I did manage to guess the plot 40 minutes in which is a rare thing for me to do.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:43 pm

So is it good enough to see in theaters, or is it one of those wait-for-the-Blu-ray movies? I own all 4 Terminator movies that have been released so far. My favorite is 2, second favorite is 1, and 3 was my least favorite. Which one is it closer to?
[Redacted]

Return to “Film and Video”