The Happy Red Planet (Now with illustrations and comics!)

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 am

Okay, just finished reading the comics and that is a glorious start to the day! looking forward to reading the actual Fic!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:59 pm

Thank you so much, Gob Hobblin! I'm glad you enjoyed the comics!
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:48 am

I have to say at this point, my favorite one was where they were eating pancakes, and each one of them was trying to feed Shinji a bite from their fork. And the fact that Shinji consistently had an "Ooh! Pancake!" expression each time a new character stuck a fork in his face.

That was truly inspired comedy!

:asuka_happy:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:57 am

Incidentally, I think 'Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like' is going into my signature field.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Wow, thanks, Gob Hobblin! Waffles are a bit of a running gag in this story. I'm glad it amuses you. :D

About that comic for Chapter 2, in the actual fan fic the humor was entirely in the dialogue, but for the comic adaptation I suggested to Ivi that it would be nice to also add some visual humor by having everyone trying to feed Shinji. The facial expressions were all Ivi's idea, though. When it comes to facial expressions, Ivi is just awesome!

(Hey, now that I'm looking at the comics again, it looks like the last few panels of the first three comics are missing. That's weird. Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch. EDIT: Okay, the comics are back to normal now. Thank goodness!)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Ah! Waffles! Of course! The most Belgian of breakfast foods!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:25 am

The comic for Chapter 5 is here! Check it out...

Scary Lilin dreams, by Ivi: A scene from Chapter Five. An Angel talking about Lilin dreams... this couldn't possibly get weird, right?

As always, many thanks to Ivi for drawing such fun comics for this story!

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 am

^

That's so Kaworu!

:kaworusparkle:

(cue the laugh track)
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:28 pm

The story has been updated with Chapter 6! Asuka and Rei continue their battle against the Mass Production Evangelions, while Shinji and Kaworu… um, a lot of Kaworus… search for the ultimate weapon to stop Seele once and for all. Surely things will go exactly as planned, right? Right? …Uh-oh.

I hope you enjoy the new chapter, and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:52 pm

The comic for Chapter 6 is here! Check it out...

How did you know?, by Ivi: A scene from Chapter Six. How did Gendo find out about Kaworu's plans? The answer is probably not what you were expecting, heh.

Many thanks to Ivi for always drawing such entertaining comics for my fic!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri May 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Here are some more illustrations for the story! Many thanks to kamika-star, Frites, nastypremiumbuffbabes, and Ivi for drawing these!

Rei with a Taser (from Chapter 2), by kamika-star

Trampoline fun (from Chapter 3), by Frites

Branches of the Yggdrasil (inspired by Chapter 4), by nastypremiumbuffbabes

Falling Angels (inspired by Chapter 4), by Ivi

Falling Angels - Alternate Version, by Ivi

By the way, the first post of this thread has been updated with links to all the illustrations and comics that have been drawn for this story, so feel free to check there to see if there are any that you've missed. Thanks again to all of the wonderful artists!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 26, 2015 4:29 pm

Well, after being aware of your fic for quite some time and thinking the idea of Adam setting up shop on Mars was pretty nifty, I've finally gotten off my butt and started reading. My attention span needs some serious retraining, so I've only made it through one chapter so far. Anyway, my thoughts so far.

You're clearly comfortable with the written word and have a good style going. Nice and polished and free of obvious errors. Your attention to detail is very nice; you're clearly paying a lot of attention to the source material while putting your own spin on things. The easter eggs are quite fun, and I picked up on many of them. The extent of the comedy/drama duality is a bit strange, though not necessarily in a bad way. I'll have to read a bit more before I know for sure what I think about it.

The reference to "mental locks" on Rei was a little confusing; the mechanic didn't feel very well-established to me, especially to play such a role in Rei saving the day at the end. Also, was the omission of Rei generating "the biggest ATF ever detected" intentional? You seemed to still be more or less following the show when that's supposed to happen, so I was just wondering.

Mars is also a fair amount smaller than Earth, though whether the difference would be enough to bother Kaworu, I dunno.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat May 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to write feedback, Reichu! I really appreciate it! I'm glad my writing style is working for you so far. This story marks my return to fan fiction writing after a ten year hiatus (Yikes!), so sometimes I worry that I might be rusty. -o-;

Yeah, you're probably right that I didn't explain the "mental locks" as much as I could have. Since it doesn't come up much in later chapters, I didn't give it the level of detail that some other things got. If the story ends up taking an unexpected turn where the locks become a necessary part of the plot again, I'll try to be more mindful of that.

As for Rei's A.T. Field, it actually does happen in the chapter, although it's brief because she ate waffles. (Heh, you know you're writing a weird fic when "because she ate waffles" is an explanation.) It's the part that says "His A.T. Field felt so strong that her own began to shine again in response, but it faded away an instant later".

Concerning the size of Mars, Kaworu wasn't even bothered by the size of the moon (Rei was the one who was worried about that), but he did fear that having Angels on the moon would scare the Lilin, which is why he liked the idea of going to Mars instead. Well, that's the in-story explanation, at any rate. My actual reason for writing it this way is that when I originally came up with the idea for this story years ago, Kaworu was supposed to go to the moon... but I didn't actually get around to writing the story for various reasons, and then the Evangelion: 1.0 and 2.0 movies came out and they had Kaworu on the moon! D'oh! So when I finally started to write this story, I changed the idea to Mars, heh.

Thanks again for the detailed feedback! It's very helpful and very encouraging. Much appreciated!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun May 31, 2015 2:45 pm

This picture wasn't intended to be related to your fanfic, but come on, you just KNOW this is Lazarus:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=31824759
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Aww, Rei with a kitty! And yes, the kitty does look like Lazarus. ^_^

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:14 pm

I see your Rei with a kitten, and raise you one Rei IS a kitten.

SPOILER: Show

There were others, but they were...not appropriate....

I owe you reading time and reviews, LE. Same with Bagheera, too. I'm behind.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Kaworu, you big dummy. Clearly the answer is to take adam away and put Gendo in 02 and let Asuka's mom out. He gets to go on space adventures with Yui, no impacts necessary, and pretty much everyone is happy with the outcome.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 am

^
Except for Seele, Yui, and Fuyutsuki.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 am

Gob Hobblin: Kitty Rei! Heh, poka poka indeed. Anyway, please don't feel bad about falling behind. Goodness knows my "to do" list is a bazillion miles long as well. -o-;

(Oh, and if anyone is wondering about the source of the pic Gob posted, it's http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=5736053)

NemZ: Sadly, the Kaworu of this fic isn't capable of pulling that off, at least not under the current circumstances (some would also argue that Gendo doesn't deserve it, but that's a whole other conversation). Sounds like it would be an interesting idea for another fic, though! Maybe someone should tackle that sometime. ^_^

ChaddyManPrime: Well, at least Fuyutsuki would still have Shinji to dress up in maid outfits! (Er... don't worry, that won't happen in this fic!)

Return to “Fanfiction”