The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri May 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Got my copy of Side A today. Made a post about my initial reactions while skimming through: here.

May make additional posts and such as I actually give it a thorough read.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri May 22, 2015 7:34 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Got my copy of Side A today. Made a post about my initial reactions while skimming through: here.

May make additional posts and such as I actually give it a thorough read.

HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK LOOKS AWESOME

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 22, 2015 10:51 pm

Since something I wanted to import from Japan in October (birth month) is getting a December U.S. release ('Moon figure), I'm now seriously considering getting Side A and B as birthday presents or something.

I mean, it might have info that's well known to me (considering NGE2 PS2/PSP info), but having it all in 1 place + Eva 20th Anniversary makes me feel like I should do something special(?) for it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat May 23, 2015 11:06 am

View Original PostGrand Duke of Yashima wrote:Unfortunately no. 100% Newtype is only in Japanese. It is however an extremely loaded reference for the original TV series, with many sketches of EVAs, characters, backgrounds, etc. This book was out of print over a decade ago.

I have scans of that book that came with an EoE torrent for some reason...not complaining though awesome book. Need to get a hard copy sometime.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat May 30, 2015 11:11 pm

So, uhhhh, my copy has a printing error. The picture of Rei on page 15 covers up two lines of text.

"Though she is generally quiet and rarely _____________ freely in Gendoh's ___________."

Is this in anyone else's copy?

Great book so far, but that threw me for a loop.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sun May 31, 2015 12:08 am

Just checked and yeah, its like that in mine too. That sucks.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun May 31, 2015 10:33 am

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Just checked and yeah, its like that in mine too. That sucks.

Should we let the publisher know?

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sun May 31, 2015 1:10 pm

I mean, I personally don't mind it all that much, but I guess if they aren't aware, then it would be a good idea to let them know for future printings.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Bad QA for something that has had a release delayed for over a year. Give em hell.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:58 am

Can confirm the error as well :/ Otherwise, an incredible book. It exceeded my expectations, beautiful layout of art and comprehensive information. Reminds me of the DK Publishing books I used to read as a kid.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:57 am

Also, on a lighter note, I posted this pic of Gendo from the book on tumblr, pointing out how dorky his outfit looks without the coat, and it has become my most popular post on that site by far, to an almost scary degree.

SPOILER: Show

People just love that turtleneck/suspenders combo.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:59 am

It wearing the gloves without a jacket that does it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:54 pm

I did an illustrated review of Side A, and tried to provide information that would still be of interest to people who already received their copies of the book. For example, I also have the French version of this book, so I was able to provide the text that is missing from the English edition due to the infamous misprint. I discussed other significant differences between the English and French versions as well (for one thing, the English version has three other mistakes in addition to the misprint!). There's some other nifty stuff too, so I hope you enjoy the review! I made this new post for it on my book review thread. ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Can someone tell me what, if any, information about the characters/world/etc. these books contain that isn't mentioned in the show?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Gendo wears suspenders!?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:56 pm

I meant besides that.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Gendo wears suspenders!?

This.

In addition to being an asshole father, he's also a fashion 'tard. What is this, the '80s? You think you're Gordon Gekko, you Machiavellian motherfucker?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Suspenders AND a wool turtleneck

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:18 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Suspenders AND a wool turtleneck

Turtlenecks are about to come back into style next winter, though. Just look at James Bond.

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:00 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Suspenders AND a wool turtleneck

In perpetual summer.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”