[Fic] Mobile Fighter Evangelion

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

UltraSonic007
Embryo

Remember the clip show? Here's some new material.

•      
  •      

Postby UltraSonic007 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:48 am

/December 7, 2015/

/Sawamura Apartment, Tokyo-3, Japan/

“And that’s the story, Sawamura-san. I’m sorry.”

Genji Sawamura stared at the floor, not even daring to look at Lieutenant Colonel Katsuragi. Truth be told, he feared looking at her, lest he see her face, and find her insufficiently sorrowful.

How was he supposed to react?

His son: possessed by the Tenth Angel in an apparent subterfuge to strike at NERV from within.

His son: dead by the hand of Mana Kirishima.

His son: dead, dead, dead.

“I would like to see him,” muttered Genji.

There was hesitance in Katsuragi’s voice. “I…don’t think that’s a good idea, Sawamura-san. Mana-kun wasn’t that…surgical.”

Such a clean, concise term. It sickened him. “Just tell me: would I be able to see his face?”

“No.”

“…please get out. Thank you for your time, Lieutenant Colonel.”

“Of course. Just for the record, the Supreme Commander has offered to cover any funeral expenses you may incur.” She bowed, her shadow falling across his field of vision. “Have a good day, Sawamura-san.”

Fading footsteps, followed by the muffled closing of a door. Sounds of a world quieting down to match the sound that Genji wanted, needed, demanded: the sound of silence, where he could think.

And ponder.

And wonder: what to do next?

xxxx

Episode 17: INTERMISSION (He traced the steps that he once walked)

xxxx

A timeline of significant events thus far:

-The First Angel – ADAM – arrives on Earth, triggering the Permian-Triassic extinction event.

Flashes of memory are the only thing that Kaworu Nagisa can describe: of the White Moon sinking into a great ocean via controlled landing, the sheer kinetic energy still great enough to doom vast legions of the native flora and fauna. It is sobering to many on the Committee to hear that the Great Dying was a result of Angelic interference.

-ADAM, after manipulating life for millions of years, triggers the Triassic-Jurassic extinction event.

“He let life evolve, making changes here and there. Certain organisms were augmented by his own hand, becoming testaments unto themselves,” remarked Kaworu, speaking calmly to his sister Yomiko. “I see hints of great civilizations that would put the Lilim to shame…and yet he struck them down.”

“Why?”

“I do not yet know.”

-The Second Angel – LILITH – arrives on Earth, triggering the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event. Due to how Lilithian life overtakes Adamite life in the aftermath, this event is known as First Impact.

The Black Moon – emergency thrusters trying vainly to decelerate the vessel – slammed into the ground, the energy of the collision signaling a death knell for much of the world. From afar, the Giant of Light watched in silence.

Seconds later, Kaworu Nagisa opened his eyes. “That is all I can remember regarding LILITH’s arrival.”

-Interaction between ADAM and LILITH is terse. LILITH’s influence spreads throughout native flora and fauna.

-As humanity evolves, ADAM and LILITH observe through proxies over the millennia.

An ash-haired man with red eyes frowned; walking towards him along the dirt road amidst the wilds was a cloaked woman with white hair, and eyes of crimson.

The two silently exchanged scrolls, written in inhuman characters.

They then passed by each other, and continued on in solitude.

-November 1946: The first of the Dead Sea Scrolls are discovered.

Keel Lorenz, standing tall at the strapping age of twenty-two, remained quiet as the Bedouin shepherds handed them the parchments they had discovered the month prior. Unlike the others written in Aramaic and Hebrew, the presence of ancient Chinese and Japanese characters was stark.

The archaeologist in him was utterly stoked. “Fantastic…!”

-1947 through 1953: As the rest of the Dead Sea Scrolls are discovered in the region about Qumran, all portions not pertaining to Judaism and Judeo-Christian Scripture are acquired by Keel Lorenz. Translation yields epochal results.

“Are you done playing at archaeology, boy?” growled the voice of Heinrich Lorenz, current head of the family. “You’ve been poring over those things for years, letting yourself languish. You could have been a captain of industry!”

“On the contrary, they have enabled me to be highly enterprising,” retorted Keel, having sequestered the Scrolls and his notes in a highly secure location. “Within a matter of months, this Estate will be mine, and you will be cast out. I imagine that the shame will drive you insane.”

-1954: The lesser secrets of the Dead Sea Scrolls are strategically leveraged by Keel Lorenz for money, influence, and prestige. Keel quickly becomes well-acquainted with governmental officials, industrial tycoons, and the intellectual elite. The foundations of SEELE are laid.

Keel Lorenz stared quietly at the corpse of his father, hanging limply from the balcony guardrail. “Hmph. For one who performed so many hostile takeovers, you’d think he’d be ready to be on the receiving end.” He glanced over at one of his servants. “Cut him down and arrange for a public funeral.”

-1956 through 1967: During these years, the Lorenz Estate bankrolls private research into computational science, bioengineering, theoretical physics, quantum mechanics, and the fledgling field of applied metaphysics.

“This could be revolutionary, if true,” remarked a dark-haired Japanese man, looking far too stern for one in his early twenties.

“You have the means to prove the hypothesis, Katsuhito Ikari,” remarked Keel. “Do so, and a whole new door will open not just for you, but for humanity itself.”

“…you’ve piqued my interest.”

-February 1968: Katsuhito Ikari publishes a thesis establishing what would come to be called the Theory of Spiritual Relativity, proving the means by which one could establish the existence of the soul through quantum mechanics and neurobiology. In union with a set of fundamental principles, the field of metaphysical biology – the science of the soul – is born.

-March 1968 through November 1972: Kozou Fuyutsuki builds off of Ikari’s theorems and pioneers several key advances in metaphysical biology, including but not limited to: AT-Field theory, fundamentals of ego barrier interactions, and the Shikinami-Fuyutsuki equation, which provides a correlation between sapience and the metaphysical integrity of a soul.

-1972 through 1975: SEELE’s influence continues to spread; groundwork for the Human Instrumentality Project is laid.

-March 1977: Yui Ikari is born.

“So…this is the next generation. This is evolution encapsulated.”

“Very poetic, Katsuhito. Nevertheless, it is a mere microcosm of the glory that awaits us.”

“Of course, Mr. Lorenz.”

-1977 through 1985: More and more agents are planted within the United States and the Soviet Union, providing greater reach for SEELE within the two superpowers.

-1986: The Committee is formed, initially consisting of seven individuals, which provides direction to SEELE as a whole.

“You strike me as a very reasonable man, Mr. Putin. You have been ever since you joined the KGB at our directive.”

Vladimir had not expected many things upon returning home from a day at Dresden’s KGB facility. Meeting with the head of SEELE himself – a man that his fellow agents ascribed near mythical status to – was not among them. “That sounds like an offer.”

The elderly German smiled. “I foresee great things in your future. You are among those who understand what it means to guide the masses in the direction that they need to go, that they must go.” He stood, quietly walking towards the door. “Once you are in a position of sufficient power, I will return, and your induction on the Committee will be made official.”

-1987 through 1994: As the Soviet Union collapses and the United States remains the sole superpower, SEELE discreetly funds research into areas involving human augmentation, such as cybernetics, robotics, neurological engineering, and autonomic computing. Organizations such as GEHIRN are formed and utilized for this purpose. One recipient of these grants is Shiro Katsuragi.

Shiro Katsuragi smiled widely, disbelieving his good luck. “This is fantastic…my research into Super Solenoid Theory will change everything…!”

“The potential is great,” remarked the representative from GEHIRN. “My peers have spoken highly of your work. I’m sure that our grant will go to good use, Katsuragi-san.”

-1995 through 1999: Yui Ikari undergoes an accelerated degree program at Kyoto University, ultimately acquiring a doctorate in bioengineering. During this time, per orders, she discreetly tries to recruit Kozou Fuyutsuki for the Human Instrumentality Project. Unfortunately, Gendo Rokubungi is a tagalong.

Kozou Fuyutsuki grimaced, uncomfortable with how dour Ikari seemed to be. “Yui-kun has been quite adamant about this project you seem to be working on. Were it not for her, I wouldn’t even be considering it.”

Katsuhito nodded. “Her brilliance is captivating, is it not?”

“Yes.”

“It’s all for a good cause; humanity as a whole can now quantify the existence of the soul. Advancement to the next stage of human evolution is now a certainty; as a fellow man of science, are you not at all intrigued?”

“…I would be lying if I said no.”

January 1999: The White Moon is discovered underneath Antarctica.

“Gentlemen, our improved technology has finally unveiled the location of the Living One’s hidden home,” spoke Keel Lorenz, his voice muffled and altered electronically over the conference call. It was rather mundane, compared to how they would meet in the future. “The Dead Sea Scrolls have opened up avenues of thought and research beyond what any of us could have ever dreamed; now we shall have access to their source.”

Who shall lead this expedition?” asked SEELE 12.

SEELE 06 replied, “Shiro Katsuragi’s research into Super Solenoid Theory has progressed quite well. I imagine he would jump at the opportunity, if the offer was…phrased appropriately.

Chairman Lorenz smirked. Katsuragi’s work had been subtly following their designs, working on a particular technological advancement that had been hinted at within the Scrolls: it was amazing what the human mind would latch onto given just a few crumbs as enticement. “Very well then. Gentlemen, you have free rein to assemble what people you think would be useful for this task. I will make sure that we are sufficiently covered on the legal aspects.”

-February through May 1999: Through proxies at the United Nations, an expedition is secretly launched to Antarctica. The White Moon is unveiled, and the First Angel is seen by human eyes.

Shiro Katsuragi stared, dumbstruck at the Giant of Light sitting upon the throne. “Unbelievable… we’re not alone…!”

-June 1999 through August 2000: Using the Dead Sea Scrolls as a cipher, data from the White Moon is catalogued and translated, further bolstering SEELE’s vast reserves of knowledge. During this time period, the Black Moon is discovered underneath Hakone in Japan.

“So the Knowledgeable One is no longer a mystery? We’ve found her?”

Yes,” answered SEELE 10.“Once we knew what to look for, the Living One’s counterpart was relatively simple to find.

Keel Lorenz sat back and pondered; the author of the Scrolls had made plentiful mentions of an equal-yet-opposite, one who bore a ‘Fruit of Knowledge’ as compared to he who bore a ‘Fruit of Life’. “How fortuitous.”

Number Twelve has been privately inquiring as to what we shall name these beings.

“The Living One and the Knowledgeable One are insufficient?”

His suggestion is somewhat poetic: ADAM and LILITH.

Chairman Lorenz sat back, recalling how those names tied into Hebrew Scripture and Jewish folklore. Finally, he chuckled. “The first man and woman, the latter of whom refused to be subservient…and thereafter was cast out of Eden. Quite apropos.”

-September 13, 2000: Second Impact.

-September through November 2000: As the world plunges into the chaos of the Impact Wars, SEELE takes the initiative to reorder things according to its own design.

“So there is no doubt? Katsuragi betrayed us?”

SEELE 06 replied, “My daughter expressed her doubts about delivering the Lance to the White Moon for his experiments. And Rokubungi’s last report before Second Impact was concerning; he believed that Katsuragi’s devotion to Human Instrumentality was wavering. This meshes well with the data and equipment that are missing, such as the Modular Technology.

SEELE 02 scoffed.“His obsessive interest in Super Solenoid Theory was apparently not strong enough to overcome his erroneous misgivings. How disappointing.

Even so, this is a great opportunity for us,” said SEELE 10.

“Indeed. The need for the Human Instrumentality Project will be much more apparent once this unpleasantness is behind us,” said Chairman Lorenz. “However, at this point, we only have tissue samples left over from ADAM. Our top priority at this point is recovery.”

I do have some private research vessels that can begin salvaging operations. The reconnaissance satellites over Antarctica did track unique energy signatures reaching suborbital altitudes before the EMP wave induced by Second Impact shorted them out,” mentioned SEELE 11.

“I will leave the retrieval of ADAM’s remnants to you then. What of the Black Moon?”

Much of the facility is still under lockdown; the levels beneath where LILITH is contained are effectively beyond reach,” answered SEELE 06.

Unfortunate. I was quite intrigued by the biome containing ancient maritime life. To think that a megalodon still exists… !” exclaimed SEELE 08.

“Bringing us back on topic, we will be leaving the Sword of Uriel in its current location.” Namely, buried within the chest of LILITH, where they had found it. Given how the Sword seemed to nullify the unique energy signature of Lilithian tissue, and likewise the Lance for Adamite, it spoke of an old conflict between the two that had resolved in ADAM’s favor. Granted, they could only speculate. “If ADAM reacted that negatively to whatever Katsuragi did with the Lance, it would be wise not to tamper with the Sword.”

How are we going to resume the Instrumentality Project from here?” asked SEELE 04. “With the White Moon destroyed and much of the Black Moon locked away, we are now denied the avenues of knowledge we previously possessed.

Then we will make use of what we have. Most of what we currently possess still remains to be translated as is. Besides, the potential applications of Kleinium will keep theoretical physicists busy for years,” said SEELE 02. “And if you’re that obsessed with flora and fauna, you can always go to Australia. Or perhaps primates are more your thing?

I still can’t believe we’re now living in a world where a farfetched American ape film is no longer science-fiction,” grumbled SEELE 03, referencing the sapient apes that even now were driving out vast scores of humans from the heart of Africa.

SEELE 07 snorted. “I will remind you that La Planète des Singes is properly French, thank you very much.

May we return to business, gentlemen?” asked SEELE 12.

Any overt efforts to bring the G-20 governments onboard with the Human Instrumentality Project will have to wait until the Impact Wars subside; even then, they will be reluctant to devote funding to anything not relative to rebuilding or peacekeeping efforts,” groused SEELE 05.

“We will set the groundwork for the aftermath, nothing more,” reassured Keel Lorenz. As SEELE 01, his word was practically law, the first among equals. “For the time being, we will use this time to further subvert the various agencies, industries, and governments within our fields of influence. Given that over two billion people have already perished these past few months, the ongoing chaos will mask our movements. Besides…” His thoughts briefly drifted to the schematics that had been submitted by Naoko Akagi, regarding bioengineered clones of ADAM and LILITH. “…even as we direct the waking world behind the scenes, work on Project E continues all the same.”

-May 2001: The Japanese military unveils the Prototype Gundam, ushering in a new generation of warfare and inadvertently prolonging the Impact Wars in eastern Asia. Meanwhile, Yui Ikari, Gendo Ikari, and Naoko Akagi covertly begin work on splicing Adamite and Lilithian genes with those of humans.

The potential for this work will bear great fruit for Project E,” said SEELE 06.

Keel Lorenz smiled. “Of course it will.”

-September 2001: Three significant remnants of ADAM are found: his head, and two chrysalises. The head is kept sequestered in a secure location, while the two eggs are placed at a GEHIRN facility in Lyon, France.

In Moscow, deep within the bowels of a Sovereign Systems facility – one of GEHIRN’s public fronts – Vladimir Putin looked quietly through a fortified window at the white head of ADAM, flesh streaked with fractal scars and lacking its former luminescence. As a precaution, it was kept dunked inside a tank of solid nitrogen, frozen solid within a vacuum chamber.

“To think that this was all that remained.” Putin glanced at the odd apparatus constructed around the outside of the chamber, providing a metaphysical ward; in essence, preventing anyone from detecting the latent soul of the creature within, weak and lessened though it was. “Even now, some part of you remains alive…”

-November 2001 through January 2002: The governments of the world’s great powers come to terms regarding the Impact Wars. Under SEELE’s guiding hand, plans are put in place to centralize military power and authority underneath the United Nations.

-February 14, 2002: The Valentine Treaty is signed, signaling an official end to the Impact Wars amongst the world’s major powers. A global ceasefire is implemented, though conflict and civil unrest still rages on throughout Asia, Africa, South America, and Central America.

-August 2002: Plans are finalized regarding a planned leak of information regarding Second Impact.

“This strikes me as an unnecessary step,” said Keel Lorenz. “The current explanation of a meteor strike is sufficient, and we have enough agents in place to aid in covering up as needed.”

“Until we reach the next step of human evolution, we must take our weaknesses into account,” cautioned Gendo Ikari. He glanced outside the window, the massive grounds of the Lorenz Estate dim and gloomy underneath the afternoon rain. “If the world is on our side, and we are seen as righteous, our efforts can be directed in more fruitful ways.”

“Do not think I have not considered this before now,” said Keel. “It will invite more scrutiny on our work.”

“We will have scrutiny placed upon us regardless. This will enable us to focus that scrutiny more…appropriately.”

Keel Lorenz leaned back, looking keenly at Gendo through the lens of his new visor. His failing vision was yet another reminder of the ravages of time. The realization of Instrumentality couldn’t come soon enough. “The people are largely irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things. So long as Project E is finalized, their input is a distraction.”

“True…but using them is far more practical.”

Keel Lorenz suddenly smirked. “No wonder your wife sent you here to deliver this proposition.”

Gendo shrugged. “She’s the real kingmaker at GEHIRN. Even Dr. Akagi and Dr. Sohryu are aware of this.”

“Very well then Ikari: how would you propose leaking this information to the public at large?”

“Indulge in man’s perpetual taste for the apocalyptic. If they believe we are in the midst of Armageddon, then let us raise the stakes. Their imaginations will do much of our work for us.

“How?”

“Make it seem as if the very heavens themselves are our enemy.”

-September 13, 2002: On the second anniversary of Second Impact, the Human Instrumentality Committee is officially founded by the UN to oversee all government efforts dedicated to the advancement and evolution of mankind. Coinciding with its founding is its release of an investigative report detailing the true cause of Second Impact: ADAM, henceforth titled the First Angel.

-March 3, 2003: A partial hatching is attempted on one of the Adamite chrysalises, keeping the body bound while letting the mind awaken. First contact is established with the being known as Tabris.

Keel Lorenz grimaced as one of the security guards keeled over, seemingly dead. A light had emerged from a crack in the bizarre-looking egg, blanketing the guard. “Hmm.” Hopefully the restraints around the chrysalis would be sufficient.

From within the crack, two eyes of deep black peered out, belonging to a glowing face. A distinct pressure settled over the humans, and the voice could be heard by all.Hello there.

“…you can understand human speech?”

I took this knowledge from the creature. He is no longer functional.

“…hmm. Perhaps we can have a voluntary exchange of information. Knowledge for knowledge, without any mess.”

That seems reasonable.The newborn – still yet larger than any man – tried to look around, still bound within his shell. I only sense one other. Where are the rest?

“…I beg your pardon?” Was he referring to the other chrysalis?

I feel so…empty. We are incomplete. Where is the rest of our Father?

Lorenz paled. “…so you are truly a part of ADAM, come to life…?”

…who is ADAM?

-March 29, 2003: The second Adamite chrysalis is partially hatched. First contact is established with the being known as Zeruel.

Where Tabris had only rendered one security guard a vegetable upon his awakening, the second newborn rendered all lifeforms within ten meters into puddles of blood and fleshy goo.

Fortunately, Keel Lorenz and Tabris’s chrysalis stood twenty meters away. “I’ll have to hire ten new security guards now.” A heavy pressure settled upon Keel, nearly causing him to collapse.

One moment.Tabris’s chrysalis glowed, and an unseen exchange of information took place. “There is no need for such hostility, my…equal.

WHAT IS THIS PLACE? rumbled a voice that thundered like an avalanche. “THIS FORM IS INCORRECT. THIS FORM IS BOUND. WHY AM I BOUND? WHY AM I WEAK?

Settle down, and I shall explain our current circumstances.

-April through July 2003: Constant questioning of Tabris and Zeruel reveals that the remaining pieces of ADAM will one day awaken naturally, seeking to rejoin their origin.

“This will be our bulwark against pointed questions,” said Keel Lorenz. “Project E, despite its costs, will be deemed necessary to defend the world against the Angels’ onslaught.”

We can concoct a decent fiction with the Sword of Uriel’s very existence,” said SEELE 05.“It will be the one thing that the Angels seek to initiate the end of everything.”

Indeed. Stopping Third Impact: it has quite the ring to it,” mused SEELE 02.

“Everything in its own time, gentlemen,” cautioned Lorenz. “Until we can make decent enough headway with the construction of Evangelion, we cannot afford to be too overt.” Even though they had rigged much of the UN committees and programs to their own ends, ambiguity was still their ally. “Let rumor of the Angels’ return filter out. Slowly. Methodically.”

-November 2003: A conclusive study by Kozou Fuyutsuki reveals that all humans born since Second Impact have a fundamentally altered spiritual structure compared to those born before. Preliminary results indicate that this metaphysical discrepancy increases the odds of synchronizing with the soul of another: ergo, Post-Impact humans are prime candidates for becoming Evangelion Pilots.

-December 2003: The Marduk Institute is founded to publicly perform a census of human souls, for the stated reason of determining spiritual defects wrought by Second Impact. In reality, the Institute will one day be the public organization responsible for selecting Pilots for Project E, even though the Pilots will largely be predetermined.

-September through November 2004: A crisis occurs at the Black Moon, rendering Yui Ikari defective. She is ultimately selected to become the catalyst that will animate the Test-Type Evangelion, designated Unit-01.

“You cannot let your emotions get the better of you,” warned Keel Lorenz.

Katsuhito Ikari stared out the window, his every movement straining to contain his fury. “My daughter was not just a mere genius. She was a once-in-a-generation mind…and now, she is lost to us.”

“Gendo Ikari has seen to it that Dr. Akagi was properly chastised for her actions. Regardless, we now have two functional Evangelions.”

“And you believe that we can trust Rokubungi?”

“From what I have been able to ascertain, that man was utterly devoted to his wife. This…unfortunate series of events will drive him all the further to accomplish Instrumentality. As it should for you, my old friend.”

“More than you know,” muttered Katsuhito, his form shrouded by the light of the evening sun.

-January 2005: After years of work behind closed doors, Project Nephilim is officially unveiled by GEHIRN. Through the splicing of Angelic tissue to human sex cells and embryos, hybrids with abilities far beyond any mortal man are made available to the UN militaries.

-February 2005: The First Child, Rei Ayanami, is officially created.

She’s our little prototype,” reassured the voice of Naoko Akagi, represented in the holographic council chamber by a simple picture of her in a yellow sweater and black skirt, complete with lab coat: a far cry from her true, crippled appearance. Still, it was a professional image, befitting a meeting of great importance. “The very first viable nephilim. In a sense, she is the Mother of all Nephilim.

SEELE 11 snorted, his holographic image represented by the monolith that would come to characterize these meetings. “Very dramatic, Dr. Akagi. What will be her continued purpose?

Due to her nature and the…‘circumstances’ regarding Yui’s unfortunate demise-

You will watch your tongue, Akagi!” roared SEELE 06.

You will maintain your composure, Number Six,” warned SEELE 10. Only months had passed since the death of Doctor Yui Ikari; though her loss affected the Human Instrumentality Project immensely, it was felt keenly by SEELE 06.

Despite whatever this Committee may believe, I take no pleasure in what happened with Yui Ikari. However, it had to be done for the sake of Project E. Or need I remind you that the branch in Berlin-2 has still yet to ensoul Unit-02?” pointedly said Naoko Akagi.

We are confident that Dr. Sohryu will find a way. If not, she has a hard deadline to make it happen,” reminded Chairman Lorenz. “Now, as you were saying: the purpose of this ‘Ayanami’?”

Naoko’s smirk was almost palpable, despite the static image. “She will be the vanguard against the Angels whenever they manifest: I’m sure it won’t be long before the Marduk Institute designates her as the First Child.

The suggestion was quite clear: this Ayanami was to be the Pilot of Unit-00. “We will see to it. Remember well, Dr. Akagi, the role that you play. Overstepping your boundaries would be most…unwise. And that goes double for Gendo Ikari.”

-November 2006: Nephilim bodies are constructed to serve as proxies for Tabris and Zeruel.

The silver-haired boy and white-haired girl gagged as they emerged from the growth chambers, expelling LCL from their lungs.

Keel Lorenz smiled. “There; as per our arrangement, you now have bodies to serve as a masquerade, vessels with which to observe our civilization.” The Angels in nephilim flesh – biologically no older than six years old – slowly got to their feet, staring at him with inhumanly red eyes. “You will be the wards of my Estate: Wilhelm Lorenz and Franziska Lorenz.”

“No.”

Keel arched an eyebrow at the young boy, sounding far too decisive and sure for a proverbial newborn. “No?”

“Those names…are not fitting.” The boy looked at his erstwhile sister, then back at him. “I am Kaworu Nagisa. She is Yomiko Nagisa.”

“Japanese names?” Their only contact with a person of Japanese descent had been with Katsuhito Ikari. How did they have enough context to craft such names? And why Japanese?

“…I am not quite sure why you emphasize Japan,” questioned Tabris. “There is a time and order to all things, Mister Lorenz. The name for this body of Angelic flesh and human bone…that name is Kaworu Nagisa, because it must be. Nothing more, and nothing less.”

How cryptic, thought Keel. It was fortunate that he was confident that their existing countermeasures were sufficient to contain the two Angels, otherwise he would be feeling far more unnerved.

-December 2007: The deadline for Unit-02’s activation is reached.

Keel Lorenz could look quite grim, when he set his mind to it. Despite his increasingly frailer appearance, he still carried a gravity about him that made everyone cringe in their boots. “The time has come, Dr. Sohryu.”

Kyoko Zeppelin Langley-Sohryu, sitting at a desk buried underneath crumpled papers and messy notes, could only sag in her chair. “…I see.”

“Then you have a volunteer in mind?”

“…yes.”

-January 2008: Kyoko Zeppelin Langley-Sohryu is absorbed in her entirety by the Production-Type Evangelion, Unit-02. Asuka Langley-Sohryu is designated the Second Child.

-2009: As the second generation comes to fruition, the use of nephilim in black ops by governments around the world increases. Soon, the need for the public to become accustomed to a reality inhabited by Angelic übermensch becomes manifest.

“Your suggestion is…promising, Ikari.”

“The world is adapting to the enhanced wildlife and the Congolese Federation,” said Gendo Ikari. Yet another intercontinental trip, ostensibly for Ikari to meet with his fellow department heads at the GEHIRN facility in Berlin-2; in truth, yet another opportunity for Keel Lorenz to pick at the man’s brain. “We can’t let them become too complacent about the changes wrought by Second Impact. Despite the fact that the world believes the Angels will return, the masses will not behave practically without a stark reminder. I would prefer that we remind them now, and secure all possible countermeasures before the Third Angel drops on our doorstep, whenever that may be.”

Keel Lorenz leaned back in his chair, stifling a grimace at the growing pain in his hips. Yet another body part to replace. “Your proposal has merit. I will relay this to the Committee. Any particular region in mind?”

Gendo shrugged. “I don’t pay too much attention to world events; I’m sure you know people with far more knowledge than I.”

“In the meanwhile, this will provide a decent smokescreen for GEHIRN’s dissolution.”

“Will I be retaining a similar position as Director of Operations for the Black Moon facility?”

Keel Lorenz chuckled. “Not at all; your drive and initiative have greatly impressed the Committee. The institute that replaces GEHIRN will have a wide breadth of martial and monetary authority to prepare for the Angels’ return; it needs a capable leader to represent it.”

Gendo paused, staring quietly at Keel. “And I take it you want me in the position.”

“There can be none other.” Now that you’ll be in the spotlight, your reclusive scheming will come to an end. Keel resisted the urge to sneer at the man. Try and continue your subversive maneuvers now, you miserable cur.

A regrettable decision, in hindsight. But no one was perfect.

-January 2010: Through SEELE’s machinations, Diego Lovelace – a renowned and popular philanthropist in Colombia – is framed as an inside source on various drug cartels throughout Central and South America. Out of retaliation, he is then assassinated, and the heir of the family is kidnapped. A former FARC guerilla in the Lovelace’s employ by the name of Rosarita Cisneros almost single-handedly initiates the Central American Wars, her vengeful rampage inciting revolutionary fervor throughout the region.

-February through November 2010: The Central American Wars rage from Colombia to Mexico, with local militaries and UN peacekeeping forces finally triumphing over Cisneros’ organization El Baile de la Muerte, though not before several countries’ governments utterly collapse amidst the chaos of war. Nephilim serve in battlefield operations alongside conventional military units for the first time, revealing their superhuman powers to the public at large. Meanwhile, GEHIRN is dissolved, and its resources are reallocated under NERV: a paramilitary organization responsible for defending mankind from the Angels. Due to their use of Evangelions, the Human Instrumentality Committee will possess oversight authority.

-2011 through 2014: The fortification of Tokyo-3 is largely concluded during this time frame, and work on Evangelions Unit-00, 01, and 02 near completion. Units-03 and 04 undergo specialized augmentation and experimentation at the NERV facilities in the Americas, whilst Provisional Unit-05 – a highly unorthodox model – is grown and tested at Berlin-2.

-November 2013: Shinji Ikari is designated the Third Child.

“The only reason we are permitting this is because Unit-01 is highly unlikely to sync with any other,” admitted Keel Lorenz.

The boy’s caretakers have a rather low opinion of Rokubungi; it’s probable that Shinji Ikari will come out of this with a measure of disdain for his father,” said SEELE 06.

Chairman Lorenz chuckled. “Are you sure that’s not your own bias talking?”

The scientists couldn’t help but pause. “…that is also possible. Tomoe Ikari has not lived up to the expectations set by her sister.

“Then don’t do any half-measures. Whether or not the boy’s potential as an Evangelion Pilot is enough to disregard his affiliation with Gendo, the Pilots have a limited purpose in the grand scheme of things. They are to fight the Angels, and nothing more: once ADAM is whole again, we will only need the Evangelions: the Pilots will be irrelevant.”

Of course,” answered SEELE 06.

-July 2014: The matured bodies of Tabris and Zeruel are bound within an armored shell of organic, inorganic, and metaphysical restraints, thereafter becoming the base for an advanced class of Evangelion: a change of designation is warranted.

“So, you trust me with this…Evangelion Mark 06?”

“A measure of good faith, for all that you have provided us.”

Kaworu smiled at Keel Lorenz. “It is not much of a measure, when you hold the threat of ADAM’s destruction over our heads.”

“That is why you are being trusted with your original body, while your ‘sister’ will remain with Unit-05: you are by far the more reasonable one.”

Kaworu smiled enigmatically. “I suppose that’s true, from a certain point of view. In one way, however, my sister is far more patient…she is content to wait.”

“And you are not?”

“There is too much to learn about you Lilim. I cannot afford to be patient.”

-January 2015: In the flooded remnants of Denmark, Unit-02 begins field tests for the first time, providing invaluable data for the other Evangelions.

-March 2015: Another Adamite chrysalis is discovered in the depths of the Pacific Ocean. Before any attempts to harvest it are made, Tabris and Zeruel intervene.

This is highly unorthodox,” boomed the voice of SEELE 02.

Standing in the midst of the holographic chambers, surrounded by twelve monoliths, the Nagisa Twins stood stoically. Kaworu smiled. “Unorthodox or no, you will not touch that egg.”

And what is stopping us?” challenged SEELE 03.

Kaworu turned towards his sister. “Yomiko?”

The white-haired girl nodded, and her red eyes started to shine. Moments later, SEELE 01 suddenly said, “I am receiving reports that the Mark 07 is breaking its restraints. Stop this foolishness now.

Yomiko’s eyes stopped glowing. Kaworu looked at all of the monoliths before focusing on SEELE 01, the monolith of Chairman Lorenz himself. “I told you long ago that there is a time and order to all things. The remnants of ADAM – the other Angels – will come at the moment of their choosing. You will allow this to occur, or Zeruel and I shall rebel with all our strength.”

You wouldn’t dare!” snarled SEELE 10.

An otherworldly pressure manifested in the dark chamber, causing the holographic monoliths to flicker. A hazy image of a grimacing skull could be seen above Yomiko Nagisa; then, there was the voice of Thunder. “I HAVE TOLERATED YOUR LITTLE MACHINATIONS ONLY BY THE WILL OF TABRIS. IF YOU DO NOT HEED HIS DEMAND, I WILL TAKE GREAT JOY IN BRINGING ABOUT YOUR RUIN.

You will doom ADAM to utter destruction!” yelled SEELE-05. “You would forever lose access to your precious Complementation!

THEN WE WILL ALL FACE OUR DAMNATION TOGETHER.

Every single man on the Committee was silent.

Finally, SEELE 01 said, “Very well. We will oblige you this.” Truth be told, destroying ADAM at this juncture would be disastrous for SEELE as well as the Adamite Angels. Placating Tabris and Zeruel for the time being would be permissible.

“My thanks, gentlemen,” said Kaworu. “In return, I will give you one boon: this chrysalis will hatch in about six months.”

Why would you tell us this?” asked SEELE 06, sounding genuinely curious.

“The Third Angel will be putting its best foot forward. It would be rude if I didn’t offer you the chance to do the same.”

-April 2015: NERV issues a public proclamation that the Angels will return by the end of the year. Defensive preparations are prioritized above all else.

-May through August 2015: Cultist activity, simmering for years since the revelation of ADAM’s existence to the public, increases heavily following the proclamation of the Angels’ impending return. A fine balance is attempted between overt control and subtle infiltration of these cults, as an attempt to form a potential counter to NERV and Gendo Ikari.

-September 1, 2015: An Adamite chrysalis is detected within the depths of Mt. Asama in Japan. Efforts are made to bury this discovery, so as to avoid a repeat of the incident in March with Tabris and Zeruel.

-September 20, 2015: The Third Angel manifests, and attacks Tokyo-3. Shinji Ikari, piloting Unit-01, defeats it. Damages are in the billions of dollars, falling within expected bounds.

-September 23, 2015: The Fourth Angel attacks Tokyo-3. Shinji Ikari, piloting Unit-01, defeats it.

-September 26, 2015: The core and S2 organ of the Fourth Angel are shipped to NERV-4 in the American state of Nevada, per the Committee’s directive. Meanwhile, plans are made to demonstrate the Evangelion’s might against the JET ALONE Project of NHIS, as part of a ruse to reacquire the Modular Technology.

-October 10, 2015: Kaworu Nagisa effectively demonstrates the might of the Mark 06 against the Jet Alone. SEELE capitalizes on Gendo Ikari’s appropriation of the specialized Gundams to permanently place it under NERV’s control, thus bringing the Modular Technology back into its rightful hands. Meanwhile, the Fifth Angel attacks Tokyo-3, and is defeated by Rei Ayanami and Shinji Ikari, piloting Units-00 and 01.

-October 11, 2015: In response to the quicker than expected assaults by the Angels, SEELE decides to give operational control of the Second Child and Unit-02 to NERV-1.

-October 18, 2015: The UN Pacific Fleet, delivering Unit-02 to Japan, is attacked by the Sixth Angel. Asuka Langley-Sohryu, piloting Unit-02, defeats it in convincing fashion.

Keel Lorenz watched the footage in silence; he paused at the image of a red Evangelion soaring into the sky, preparing to deliver the penultimate blow to the Sixth Angel. Magnificent. To think that these Angels – these otherworldly terrors, these behemoths, these gods – were being felled by the creations of man. Our own gods, made by man, are proving superior.

A brief sting forced the old man to lightly touch his side; he was still getting used to his artificial kidney. Just a little longer, he reminded himself. Then we all too, shall be gods.

-October 22, 2015: The Seventh Angel attacks Tokyo-3, and hands the Evangelions their first defeat. The Angel is temporarily stalled by a warhead derived from Angelic material. Meanwhile, Gendo Ikari, making a play of his own, reacquires the Lance of Longinus from Antarctica despite the efforts of SEELE-03.

-October 29, 2015: The Seventh Angel resumes its assault, but is routed by the efforts of Units-00, 01, 02, and the Jet Alone. In an unexpected turn of events, it retreats into the depths of the Pacific. In a calculated effort to gauge the Angels’ camaraderie, Kaworu Nagisa is tasked with retrieving the Eighth Angel. Worryingly, he agrees without much resistance.

Given his ultimatum regarding the Third Angel, his acquiescence on this matter is concerning,” murmured SEELE-06.

“We will maintain vigilance,” replied Keel Lorenz. “If he steps out of line, we will destroy ADAM, and place our hopes in the S2 Organ research at NERV-4.

-November 6, 2015: Kaworu Nagisa, piloting the Mark 06, attempts to retrieve the Eighth Angel from Mt. Asama. He is forced to destroy the Angel.

-November 7 through November 14, 2015: Kaworu Nagisa mingles with the Pilots and the populace of Tokyo-3 before returning to Berlin-2.

“So Nagisa, did you find what you were looking for?” asked Keel Lorenz. The elderly man and the young nephilim were confined within the Chairman’s office on the Lorenz Estate, away from prying eyes.

Kaworu Nagisa’s smile was more melancholy than usual. “Yes…and no. In all honesty, I don’t know what I was looking for. I suppose that was the whole point; have you ever felt that way, Mister Lorenz? Adrift, seeking something concrete, something tangible, to grasp in your hands?”

Keel Lorenz, head of SEELE and Chairman of the Instrumentality Committee, thought back. He remembered a wide-eyed youngster and amateur archaeologist, heading to Israel on a whim. From the ashes of a world torn apart by global war and fascist fanaticism, he had all but single-handedly ushered in a new world order from the shadows. “Once. But no longer.”

“I see. What a pity.” Without elaborating, the Fourth Child turned on his heels and departed.

-November 23, 2015: The Ninth Angel attacks Tokyo-3 from space. Unit-01 and the Jet Alone intercept it in midair, while Units-00 and 02 intercept it on the ground. The Angel is destroyed before it can annihilate Tokyo-3 and the Black Moon.

-November 24, 2015: Katsuhito Ikari is chosen to investigate Tokyo-3 on behalf of the Committee.

-December 5, 2015: Alarms are triggered as part of a supposed security test by NERV-1. Evidence points towards an assault by the Tenth Angel from within.

-December 6, 2015: During Katsuhito Ikari’s investigation, the Tenth Angel strikes at Tokyo-3’s civilian populace via NERV’s contingent of Defender Gundams. After a concerted counteroffensive by Section 2, the timely arrival of Units-00 and 01 results in the Angel’s demise.

xxxx

/Lorenz Estate, Outskirts of Berlin-2, Germany/

The wrinkled hand, gently holding pen to paper, paused. The mind that moved it was thinking, pondering what was happening today that was so significant.

After a few moments, the pen continued writing.

-December 7, 2015: All reacquired information on the Modular Technology is decrypted, enabling SEELE to perfectly recreate the Lance of Longinus and the Sword of Uriel.

There; that should do it.

Keel Lorenz sat back, looking quietly at his handiwork. About five sheets of a paper, denoting a timeline of significant events relative to SEELE, the Human Instrumentality Project, and the Angel War. Each time period listed came with memories, each memory of an event witnessed personally or relayed with such detail that its clarity was practically first-person.

Yet it wasn’t enough.

This timeline was twice as long two months ago. It was a habit of his, to occasionally recreate this timeline from scratch, to test his knowledge and memory. At his advanced age, it was a necessity; however, it seemed that practice was no longer enough. I am getting too old.

He was ninety-one years old, less than a decade shy of a full century; most of his body had been replaced or augmented with cybernetic or bioengineered parts to extend his lifespan, and it still wasn’t enough to stave off the creeping specter of death and decay. As a matter of practicality, he refused external memory implants; there was far too great a risk of a third party plucking the implants out of his skull and poring over all of SEELE’s secrets. No; his brain, his mind – the very engine that had birthed SEELE and the Instrumentality Project, was the only part of his body that had been left untouched by science or technological augmentation.

Now it was beginning to fail him.

Just one more year. At the rate the Angels were attacking, it would not take long for ADAM to fully regenerate. I can make it for one more year. He would not be denied Instrumentality.

He would not be denied transcendence.

Sighing, the old man calmly grabbed the five sheets of paper and threw them into his fireplace. As the paper crinkled and burned, ashes floating carelessly away like ghosts, Keel Lorenz pressed a switch on his computer terminal and took his place amongst the ghostly avatars of SEELE. “This meeting will come to order. I’m pleased to report that Shiro Tokita’s flash drive has been cracked; the Modular Technology is ours.”
Last edited by UltraSonic007 on Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddly-Appropriate Quotes for Evangelion
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.: "The great act of faith is when a man decides he is not God. The greatest act of faith is when a man understands he is not God."
Mel Brooks: "Humor is just another defense against the universe."

UltraSonic007
Embryo

A tale of three families.

•      
  •      

Postby UltraSonic007 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:22 pm

/Horaki Residence, Tokyo-3, Japan/

Hikari Horaki quickly penned a note and stuck it on the refrigerator.

[center:3o85d4cq]Father,

Left you some dinner in the blue tupperware on the top shelf. Will be celebrating Asuka’s 14th birthday at her apartment complex if you get home early.

Love, your daughters[/center:3o85d4cq]

“Acceptable.” At least Mamoru Horaki would have sustenance waiting for him in the worst-case scenario. Well, if there wasn’t an Angel attack that destroyed their apartment. That would be awkward. And unpleasant. And overall gut-wrenching due to the fact that it meant their home would be destroyed…

“Sis?”

They would be rendered temporarily homeless, and they’d have to lodge with someone else as a temporary stopgap…

“Sis.”

All of their beloved heirlooms would be dust, especially all of the pictures of mom, gods bless her soul…!

“SIS!”

Hikari whirled around. “What?!”

“Calm down.” Kodama Horaki – eldest daughter of the family at twenty-one years of age – vigorously rubbed Hikari’s shoulders, causing the middle child’s pigtails to bounce with each motion. “Just relax. It’s just a birthday party.”

“It’s not just a birthday party.”

“It kind of is.”

“Well, technically it’s the birthday for Misato Katsuragi.” Indeed; today was the Lieutenant Colonel’s twenty-ninth birthday! “Asuka’s birthday was on the fourth, last Friday.”

Kodama ran a hand through her long brown hair, wrapped in an unkempt ponytail. “So…they’re celebrating both of them today?”

“…Asuka was saying that Katsuragi wanted an excuse to throw a bigger party.”

Kodama grinned. “Sounds like fun. So glad that finals are over!” She yawned for roughly seven seconds, putting a damper on her jovial mood. “Still, kinda sudden after the whole…mess with the play, isn’t it?”

Hikari looked down, eyes glimmering with unshed tears. “…I think that’s her point.” She looked up at her older sister, for once not acting in loco parentis and more like the younger sister. “Kodama…we almost died.” Classes at the Junior High School had been outright cancelled until the damage was repaired.

“But we didn’t. NERV took care of business.”

“But it was so close!” The sheer violence and chaos had been stark and brutal, far separated from the distant terror that always gripped her when the Angels normally attacked. There had been no shelter to keep them safe from the attack, no barricades, no walls of reinforced concrete and metal; only the intervention of Kirishima, Yamagishi, and four other pale-skinned individuals had protected them from the possessed Defender Gundams. Even then, it hadn’t been enough to block out the sights and sounds of Section 2 desperately trying to turn the tide. “I saw…so many bodies…!”

Kodama sighed, wrapped her arms around Hikari, letting the young girl bury her face into her chest. “Hey now, getting all gloomy before a party’s no good. That would defeat the whole point of it, hm?”

“…yeah…”

“Has little Nozomi-chan been scared?”

“…not really.” Nozomi had watched the play via broadcast from the Elementary School; after all, she always took any chance she could to hang out with Suzuhara’s and Asuka’s sisters without some kind of familial supervision. In this case, it had been a blessing. “I saw the footage later; it’s not the same just watching it.” Besides, once Nozomi had found out that she, Kodama, and Mamoru were safe, the little girl's worries had all but disappeared. “She was lucky.”

“Just take this as a lesson in how life can change without warning or reason. As some of my colleagues like to say, shit happens.”

“Language!” impulsively snapped Hikari.

Kodama grinned. “That’s more like it.” As Hikari’s face reddened, Kodama continued. “I’m not going to tell you that this means you have to live life without fear or some stupid crap like that; fear is a natural emotion that can inspire our bodies to accomplish crazy things, don’t you know.” Fight or flight for the win! “But you do need to make your decisions in light of the fact that we live in a dangerous city, in a dangerous time. So keep your chin up and do what you have to do, okay?”

Hikari shuddered, letting the emotional catharsis run its course before releasing her older sister. “Okay. I will.”

“There you go.”

Hikari-chan! Can you help me get these ribbons in my hair?!

The distant yell from Nozomi’s room elicited a wry smirk from Kodama. “And that’s your cue.”

“Oh no you don’t,” retorted Hikari, roughly wiping the moisture from her face before forcefully nudging Kodama down the hall. “This has been your first time at home during a decent hour since forever, so you’re going to help!”

“Okay okay, don’t be so pushy!” yelped Kodama.

“Well, someone has to be the pushy and responsible one around here!”

Kodama chuckled as Hikari’s forceful and orderly self returned to the fore. That’s more like it.

xxxx

/Suzuhara Residence, Tokyo-3, Japan/

Toji Suzuhara looked down his nose at Ai Suzuhara. “No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No!”

“Come on, Ji!” yelled the youngest of the Suzuhara family, ineffectually stomping on her brother’s shoes. “When have you ever turned down a chance to go over to your friend’s apartment so you can ogle that purple-haired lady?!”

Toji blushed, but didn’t rise to the bait. “Just don’t feel like it, is all. ‘Sides, we just had a party there two days ago.”

“Since have you needed an excuse to party?!”

“Hey now! You makin’ me sound like some kind of delinquent punk?!”

“It ain’t hard, Ji!”

Toji wanted to retort, to berate and shout, rip and roar. It was a kind of custom to get enveloped in false outrage, to shout at each other, to get under each other’s skin. However, the energy and spirit that such rambunctiousness entailed was just…nowhere to be found. So he settled for snorting. “Whatever. Just go and enjoy your party.”

The dark-haired girl looked angrily at her older brother before stomping away to her room, slamming the door shut. Toji winced at the noise, a frustrated grimace coating his face. “Geez…the hell’s her deal?” He trudged over to the living room and plopped down on the coach, looking at nothing in particular. “S’just a party.”

“So? Go and have fun.”

Toji glanced over at the recliner, where his father was lying; still clad in the orange uniform common to Section 3 maintenance workers, covered in grease around the sleeves and knees. “You gonna get on my case too, you old timer?”

Hayato Suzuhara grunted. “You know your sister just wants you to lighten up.”

“What if I don’t want to?”

“Then get that stick out of your ass and throw it away.” The older man turned his dark eyes towards his son, his rough-hewn face covered in stubble. “Cause you’re making it smell like shit in here.”

Toji scowled. “And who the hell are you to talk, huh?! You were working in the Geofront when it happened!” Gunfire. Shrapnel. A Defender Gundam reaching down and smashing a young, gun-wielding man into the ground with a single palm. “You weren’t there!

“I’m the one who’s paying for the roof over our heads, so I think I am one to talk.”

“BULLCRAP!”

“When did you become such a coward?”

Toji’s rant halted in its tracks, stumbling over Hayato’s abrupt tangent.

“You seemed to have no problem going to the party on Sunday night, to the same damn place.”

Toji scowled, flippantly looking down at his feet. “…it just didn’t hit me yet, that’s all.” How abruptly it could all end. How easy a life could be snuffed out, like a candlelight flickering in the wind.

Hayato snorted. “Tough. So now you know that sometimes shit happens. Thought you would’ve learned that lesson when our old apartment got crushed by Unit-01. Or was that too impersonal for you?” Toji’s silence was all he needed as an answer. “So let me ask you this: if you think you know now how dangerous life can be, and it scares you like this…then why the hell are you gonna make your sister go to that party on her own?”

Toji’s head shot up, as though struck. He slowly turned towards his father. “…can’t you take her?”

“I just finished an eighteen-hour shift. I ain’t movin’.

“…feh.” The young man grunted, his brotherly instincts warring with the existential fear that had taken root.

“Let me break it down for you then: are you gonna man up?” A wicked grin suddenly crossed Hayato’s face. “Or are you just a…”

Toji blinked.

“Big.”

Toji's eyes narrowed. “Don’t.”

Fat.

Toji snarled. “Don’t.”

Pussy?

Toji seethed at his father’s enunciation: slow, drawn-out, somehow squeezing out every last drop of frustration and anger that the firstborn had. “I ain’t no pussy!

Then go be a man, damn it!

FINE!” roared Toji, stomping out of the living room and down the hall to his sister’s bedroom, shouting at Ai to get her stuff ready.

As the sound of bickering siblings filled the apartment, Hayato Suzuhara pulled the brim of his dirty cap over his eyes, letting their fraternal arguing lull him to sleep. That’s more like it.

xxxx

/Aida Residence, Tokyo-3, Japan/

“Party favors?”

“Check.”

“Drinks?”

“Check.”

“Tranquilizer?”

“Check.”

Kensuke Aida grinned at his mother. “We’re set then!” He then scurried off to finish grabbing the last few essentials.

Seigo Aida watched the whole proceeding with exasperation, practically buried at the table with some important documents detailing security clearances for Section 3 and Section 1 personnel (the former in particular, given that maintenance workers tended to react more…profusely to the experiments and research within Dr. Akagi’s lab). “Aren’t you two being a little enthusiastic about this?”

Haruka Aida turned towards her husband, readjusting the sunglasses over her narrow yet cherubic face. “He has friends to cheer up and I’m part of that apartment’s Section 2 detail. Enthusiasm is part of the job.”

Seigo scratched at his dark hair, looking somewhat befuddled. “…you sure?”

Haruka tilted her sunglasses up, looking wryly at Seigo with hazel eyes. “Look, the boy wants to help his friends. He’s of the opinion that a couple of his buddies might be dealing with old-fashioned shellshock.”

“Can you blame them?” Seigo shuddered; both he and Haruka had accompanied Kensuke to the play on Sunday. “The whole thing still gives me the heebie-jeebies.”

“…heebie-jeebies?

“You know what I mean!” protested Seigo. “I’m just worried that Ken might be burying some things.”

“Hey now, I’m the one who pulls him out of any funk. You’re there to deal with the details, like emotions and whatnot.” Never let it be said that growing up with a mother involved in military matters and private security – even well before Section 2 – didn’t have benefits. “Besides, after the boss’s speech, he perked right up.”

Seigo nodded; NERV’s propaganda video for their defeat of the Tenth Angel was simply Gendo’s speech, played in its entirety. “He does look up to the man…”

“There are worse role models.” She turned on her heel, short mahogany hair bouncing with each step. The plainclothes Section 2 agent – clad in black jeans and a burgundy long-sleeved shirt – walked out of their first-floor apartment, packing away the ‘party supplies’ into the compartments of her tangerine-colored Vespa. “BOY! We’re going!

“Coming!” Kensuke burst out of the house, carrying a blue and white bass guitar. “Just had to grab the entertainment!”

Haruka’s eyes narrowed. “You think you’re ready?”

“You’ve given me enough lessons. I’m retroactively born ready!”

Haruka smirked, grabbing the Rickenbacker model 4001 from her son. “Then hop on and strap in.” The young man hopped onto the Vespa, holding on tightly to his mother as she hit the ignition. She held the bass guitar forward, as if preparing to joust. As one, mother and child roared, “EXCELSIOR!

The Vespa peeled out and zoomed away from the parking lot.

Seigo Aida settled for rubbing his temples. What a family.
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.: "The great act of faith is when a man decides he is not God. The greatest act of faith is when a man understands he is not God."

UltraSonic007
Embryo

A happy meeting, a secret meeting, and a fateful meeting.

•      
  •      

Postby UltraSonic007 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:28 pm

/Section 2 Barracks, NERV-1, Tokyo-3, Japan/

Kozou Fuyutsuki sighed; there was a subdued air in the barracks, a miasma of morose misery. Then again, as he walked past room after room – many agents had the option to sleep in rather spartan quarters within the barracks itself if they chose to, given its proximity to headquarters – he saw an administrative liaison pulling down particular name cards. One here, two there, ignoring some rooms entirely: each one holding a name, each one belonging to an agent that had died defending the civilian population against the Tenth Angel.

It was an unenviable task. Each name card, in a sense, was a life, snuffed out before its time.

There are worse ways to die, I suppose. Dying in the line of duty was admirable, in and of itself. Perhaps that was just his old-fashioned sensibilities talking.

The Sub-Director of NERV-1 continued making his rounds, eventually making it to the annex that led to most of the indoor target ranges. Despite the doors and bulletproof glass, he could hear the muffled pops of gunfire.

Blue hair caught his eye; the First Child – clad in military fatigues over her white Plug Suit – was observing a group of agents, correcting their form as necessary. He couldn’t help but chuckle as she forcefully grabbed a younger agent’s arms, forcefully fixing his stance. Now there’s an attitude I haven’t seen in a while. It always amused him how discrete Rei Ayanami could be: her demeanor was rather calm and stoic when it came to piloting Evangelion. But when it came to military matters? Well, her rank of ‘Sergeant’ seemed to shine through.

Red eyes noticed his presence through the bulletproof glass. Ayanami said something to the other agents before exiting. Before the door even closed, she was already standing at attention and saluting. “Sub-Director, sir!”

Fuyutsuki chuckled. “At ease. What brought this on?”

“After the Tenth Angel’s attack, Lieutenant Aoba requested my assistance with retraining Section 2 agents in certain areas.”

“Understandable.” The possessed Defender Gundams had been Section 2’s first major engagement. Period. Even in the face of tragedy, there were always opportunities to be found. “Come walk with me, Ayanami.”

“Sir, yes sir!”

The elderly man walked side-by-side with the young super soldier, exiting the barracks and entering the picturesque scenery of the Geofront. “Tell me, Ayanami, how often do you think of the future?”

Rei turned towards the Sub-Director. “In what way, sir?”

“Hmm...that will do for an answer.”

Rei blinked. “I…don’t understand, sir.”

So you still have a ways to go. The idle chitchat of birds served as decent ambience, and the artificial wind – generated by a unique series of chained vacuum chambers that created air circulation through minuscule changes in pressure, a feature that had come with the Black Moon – was a fair enough balm for Fuyutsuki’s thoughts. “I’m just rambling.” He rubbed his hand against the bark of a pine, relishing the feel against his aged skin. Skin that was fifty-nine-years of age, just like him. Getting old is a pain. Still, it was a fact of life; nothing he could do would change that. “Perhaps I haven’t quite recovered from the ordeal with the play.”

“Do you require medical attention, sir?”

“No, no, not that kind of recovery.” He’d gone on a few humanitarian missions with the JSSDF prior to the Contact Experiment in 2004; the carnage wrought by the Tenth Angel brought to mind some uncomfortable memories. “I sometimes hope that the world that my generation leaves behind will be a kinder one. As of now…it’s only a hope.”

“Sir?”

Fuyutsuki glanced over at blue-haired girl, seeing features from both Yui Ikari and Naoko Akagi in her face and frame. “Is there anything in particular that’s been on your mind, as of late?”

The First Child frowned, seriously considering his expression from the looks of it. Finally, she answered, “Honorifics. Titles.” She looked intently at him; had he not been so used to the existence of nephilim, her red eyes would be downright haunting. “Sir: You call me Ayanami, yet you call Shinji Ikari by his given name. With all due respect sir, why?”

Fuyutsuki arched an eyebrow. Hmm. Interesting. “I’ve known Shinji since he was born. His mother was a student, a colleague, and…a good friend of mine. It’s hard to be distant with someone whose diapers I’ve changed.”

“So it’s because of familiarity, sir?”

“You could say that.”

“…he called me Ayanami-chan.” Fuyutsuki blinked. “So I thought it only proper to call him Ikari-kun.” Fuyutsuki blinked again. “Was I out of line to do so, sir?”

“…no. I dare say you weren’t. Tell me; how does that make you feel? Be honest.”

Rei Ayanami blushed; even though it was slight and subtle, the red stood stark against her pale and narrow cheeks. It was one of the most heartening things he had ever seen. “It…feels agreeable, sir.”

And you’ve earned that and more. “That’s good to hear.” Fuyutsuki inhaled the fresh air, feeling a lightness fill him. “I haven’t really been treating my subordinates like proper kouhai, not since my university days; I’ll need practice. Would you mind if I called you Ayanami-kun?”

Rei shook her head. “Not at all sir. It is only proper, since you’re my superior.”

“So it is.” Fuyutsuki folded his hands behind his back, casually continuing his stroll. “You’re dismissed, Sergeant; do as you will.”

The First Child clapped her heels together and saluted. “Sir, yes sir!”

So many times, Fuyutsuki had wondered why Naoko Akagi had unveiled to him the truth of Rei’s human heritage: a cocktail of genetic material from Yui, Naoko…and himself, taken without his knowledge.

So many times, he had considered it a spiteful shot from an incarcerated woman, telling him that he in fact had what he had secretly dreamed of so many years ago, before Gendo Rokubungi had come into Yui’s life.

So many times, he had pondered how it would feel to let his professionalism and good sense slip, and give in to his all-too-human desires; even though, in the grand scheme of things, he had no right to act on his feelings.

Still...it was moments like this where he wondered if this is what it felt like to be a father.

I’ll take what I can get, he thought with a wry grin. To see the young super soldier blossom before his very eyes…that was reward enough.

xxxx

/Banzai Bonzo Bar, Downtown Tokyo-3, Japan/

“You are utterly bonkers.”

Ryoji Kaji chuckled at the Section 2 agent’s bewilderment; he was waiting for the bartender to prepare the ‘Birthday Special’ (because despite what Misato made people believe with her Yebisu fixation, she did appreciate finer spirits), having nothing better to do with his time. So why not meet with one of the Japanese government’s double agents within Section 2?

Hypothetically speaking, of course. “You think the Defense Ministry is that fearful of Katsuhito Ikari?”

“More like unwilling to anger his supporters.” As the founding father of metaphysical biology, the man had been a bonafide celebrity to the intellectuals, and a source of pride for Japan as a whole on the international stage. “His work brought a lot of prestige to our country.”

“All the more reason to act with care, hm?” The Inspector stared at the ash floating away from his cigarette; this mole was permanently stationed aboveground, with most of his patrols taking place on Tokyo-3’s outskirts. The amount of time that this particular informant had spent within the Geofront over the past several months amounted to mere hours; it made him ideal for making clandestine information drops, but not so much for actually getting decent information about NERV headquarters.

Just the way Misato-chan likes it, I think. The spies on the surface were irrelevant to those within the Geofront, after all. I wonder if you’re aware of how long your cover’s been blown? “The government is rather paranoid about the Supreme Commander of NERV, and Katsuhito is his father-in-law.” He shot a wry grin at the plainclothes agent. “Just a little thought for them to consider. Katsuhito has made a lot of trips over the past several years…”

The double agent scowled, running a hand through his black hair. “…I’ll keep that in mind.” He downed the last of his saké and departed, leaving a chunk of change on the table.

Mere moments after the Japanese government’s informant walked out, another Section 2 agent sat down beside Kaji. This one was a bit larger, with more foreign features; his attire was of the stereotypical ‘men in black’ that populated Section 2’s ranks, serving as high-profile decoys for the vast majority of agents who operated incognito. And here comes the messenger of my other employer. “I’m very popular today, it seems.”

“You’re toeing a dangerous line,” murmured the brown-haired man. “You know that you’re forbidden to investigate certain…individuals.”

The inspector shrugged at the double agent, one of many that worked for SEELE in one form or another. “Katsuhito’s related to Gendo Ikari, and he just so happened to be in town; it was too great an opportunity to pass up. How was I supposed to know that the old man had such close…ties, to the Committee?”

SEELE’s double agent stared, his eyes hidden behind thick sunglasses. “Your investigation into Katsuhito Ikari will cease. You have more important things to worry about.”

“If you insist; I’ll leave the old man alone.” I already got what I wanted. “Did you know that the corpse of a sniper was found in the Geofront yesterday? The surveillance footage revealed some…unsettling things.” Like how we almost lost our three Pilots.

“I haven’t seen the footage, but I can imagine,” said the double agent. “The cults are getting bolder. I can’t help but wonder why.”

How wonderfully cryptic, thought the triple(?) agent. Kaji glanced over towards the bar – noting the bartender waving, a package of mixed drinks in his hand – and got to his feet. “Well, I’m afraid I must leave; I have a double birthday celebration to get to.”

xxxx

/Keter, NERV-1, Tokyo-3/

Hikari Kirishima wouldn’t go so far as to say that Gendo Ikari was an unfeeling bastardly bastard.

But she was certainly thinking it. Not even a half-hour after she had been released from the medical ward – no complications from going into Overdrive, thankfully – and here they were, practically dragged into the Supreme Commander’s office. You couldn’t have waited another day for this debriefing? At least Mayumi was at the ‘double birthday bash’ (by her direct orders, it had to be said); the poor girl needed a chance to unwind after the…ordeal with Ryo Sawamura.

“And that’s all that you can remember, Pilot Kirishima?” asked Gendo, hands tented in front of his face. Kozou Fuyutsuki was standing by his side. “Any information you can recall could be useful.”

“You’ve got it all, boss-man,” said Mana, clad in blue hospital garments that actually covered her decency. Hikari stood beside her, keeping both her daughter and Ikari in her field of vision. “I did what Katsuragi told me to do: keep an eye on the real Sawamura, and follow him if he tried to give us the slip. The Angel pretty much spilled the beans and dared me to kill it. So I did.”

“I see. I trust I don’t have to remind you that the truth of Ryo Sawamura’s death must remain classified; as far as the public is concerned, the Tenth Angel only possessed the Defender Gundams, and Sawamura was simply another victim.”

“Yeah yeah, I know the drill.”

Professor Ikari, Shiro Tokita and Genji Sawamura of the JET ALONE team are here to speak with you about their project.

“Send them in.”

xxxx

The petite secretary looked up from her desk’s built-in intercom. “The Professor will see you now.”

“Thank you,” said Genji Sawamura.

Sometimes, Shiro Tokita wondered if the man’s dedication to the Jet Alone was greater than his. “We don’t have to make a presentation now; we only have a proof of concept. And I know you’re the bombastic type; an innovation like this deserves a grander introduction!”

“No, no…I’m just fine, Tokita-san.” Sawamura looked down at the small metal handle, a thin slit visible at the end of it. “Our work with your nanotech all these years has given us a tremendous head start; our team will have a Gundam-scale model ready in less than two weeks. We might as well show Gendo Ikari exactly what we have.”

“…if you insist.” Sawamura’s zeal for improving the Jet Alone was grin-inducing; still, given that Ryo’s body was now lying in a morgue somewhere in Tokyo-3, Tokita had the good sense to resist his own showboating impulses. After we make this presentation, I’m going to put him on forced leave. The man needed time to mourn; that much was clear. Putting on a brave face, Tokita quietly opened the doors into Gendo’s office, with Sawamura trailing right behind him “Good evening, Ikari!”

He had expected to see Gendo Ikari, and maybe Kozou Fuyutsuki.

Not so much Agent Kirishima and her daughter Mana.

His showman’s instincts served him well, for he didn’t miss a beat. “An unexpected good evening to you as well, Kirishima-san! And it’s a pleasure to see you awake again, Mana!” He deliberately ignored Hikari Kirishima’s pointed stare, strolling past mother and daughter towards Gendo’s desk. Genji Sawamura came to a stop right in front of Mana, so that he was the center of attention. Understandable, given that he was the demonstrator. “So, I’m sure you’re eager to see exactly what we’ve come up with.”

“By all means, proceed,” said Gendo.

“Well, the one piece of equipment that the makers of the Prototype Gundam had dreamed of including was something iconic, something incredible. Alas, the technology of the time, great as it was, could not produce it. However, the nanomachines that were recovered from the Tenth Angel’s attack on the MAGI are somewhat unique: their molecular composition and the energy they naturally emit presented a great opportunity. And given our work with nanotech up to this point?” Namely, the Modular Technology that made the Jet Alone’s transformation capabilities possible. “Well…we were able to do what was once deemed impossible.” Tokita turned around. “Sawamura-san?”

Genji Sawamura held up the small metal handle, and pressed a switch.

Chyoom.

Everyone stared.

Fuyutsuki said what everyone was thinking. “…is that a beam saber?”

Tokita grinned. “More or less!” Indeed, a foot-long blade – formed from glowing pink light, as if by magic – had materialized from the slit at the top of the handle. “Much like with the Rising Naginata, we use ferrofluids and a shaped magnetic charge to form a blade-shaped base: the Angelic nanomachines are placed in a specific pattern on the surface such that when a current is run through them, they produce this energy field.”

“Field tests?” asked Gendo.

Tokita pulled out a small block of tungsten from his pocket; a hole had been melted through it. “So far, it’s cut through everything we tested it on. And I do mean everything. And given its Angelic nature…”

“…you could potentially cut through an AT-Field,” murmured Hikari.

“Exactly!” exclaimed Tokita. “The power draw is a considerable hurdle, but once it’s scaled up for use by the Jet Alone, we’ll be able to utilize a larger energy cell to provide at least twenty minutes’ worth of continuous usage!”

“Is there a possibility of creating an Eva-scale variant?”

Now how did I know you were going to ask that, Ikari? “Unfortunately, our preliminary estimates show we’d need at least thirty times as many nanomachines to make a single Eva-scale variant. As it stands, we should be able to craft at least two dozen Gundam-scale beam sabers.”

“I see,” said Gendo. “How unfortunate. Still, this is impressive work for such a short turnaround.”

“Well…I couldn’t have done without my team. Sawamura-san in particular!” Tokita turned around, looking at his old colleague with a smile. “His work is without match.”

It was at the moment that Genji Sawamura turned around and pointed the beam saber at Mana’s neck.

Shiro Tokita blinked. Um…well. Shit.

Hikari Kirishima was certainly quick enough on the draw, her pistol already in hand and aimed at Genji Sawamura. “Sawamura, deactivate the beam saber now.”

Genji was staring quietly at Mana, who had a defiant look in her eyes.

“Sawamura…” snarled Hikari. “Drop it. NOW.

“You that upset that I killed your kid?” asked Mana. Even Tokita could see the man’s hesitation. “I got a newsflash for you: he was possessed by an Angel. Before you even came to Tokyo-3.”

“…Misato Katsuragi told me the story,” admitted Genji Sawamura.

“Then why are you pointing that thing at me? In the end, the one that really killed your kid was the Angel, and I killed the Angel. Story’s over. And frankly, after how the bastard manipulated my sister…I don’t regret it one bit.”

Shiro Tokita was slowly shuffling to the side, getting a better angle of the confrontation. There has to be something I can do. “Sawamura-san…the whole situation was an unfortunate one. There’s no way we could have anticipated the Angel taking over a human being, much less your son!”

“But there’s no closure!” roared Sawamura. “I need closure! The Lieutenant Colonel told me that I couldn’t even see my son’s face anymore!”

Mana shrugged. “Well, the Angel’s core was in his brain. So I kind of pulverized his head.”

Dead silence. Shiro Tokita was trying his damnedest not to wince out loud. That…was not the most intelligent thing to say, Mana.

“…damn it…” muttered Sawamura, his whole form beginning to shake. The beam saber slowly tilted toward the ground, as though too heavy for the man to hold. His entire body seemed to sag in a similar fashion: the weight of his sorrow, seemingly insurmountable. “He was all I had left…he was all I had left…!”

Mana snorted. “You’ve worked on the JET ALONE Project for years now, creating a weapon that could fight the Angels. And we’ve helped in that fight, damn it!”

“Mana, stop talking,” warned Hikari, her aim still holding steady on Genji Sawamura.

“Yes, let’s just all calm down,” said Tokita. Just a little further, and I can turn off the beam saber…

Mana ignored both of them. “You can still hold on to that! Or does that mean nothing to you?!”

“What point is there if there’s nothing to pass on?!” yelled Genji Sawamura, his voice – normally relaxed and carefree – hoarse with grief. “It was all for the sake of leaving a better world for my son! What point is there to anything if he’s not in it?!” Tears began streaming down his stubbly cheeks; his grip tightened on the beam saber’s handle. “It’s all your fault…it’s all your fault

Tokita paled, not quite sure what was about to happen. “Don’t do it…”

“If you harm one hair on her head Sawamura, I will shoot to kill,” growled Hikari.

It’s all your fault…” Sawamura glared at Mana; she looked decidedly unimpressed. Or perhaps unfeeling. Either way, it didn’t matter. Nothing mattered anymore. “IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Genji Sawamura turned his wrist and jerked the beam saber upward, jabbing it through his forehead.

Shiro Tokita howled, utterly rejecting this turn of events, this sudden horror show. “SAWAMURA!” He leapt forward, grabbing the braindead man and gently lowering him to the ground. With great care, he slowly retracted the beam saber, the sound and smell of sizzling flesh making him queasy. When it was out, he turned it off and tossed it away. “Sawamura…no…!” The head of Weapons R&D, a dedicated worker, a brilliant mind…and most importantly, a good man: all gone, in a moment of heated sorrow and furious grief. “Why…why did it have to end like this…?!”

Through all of these proceedings, Gendo and Fuyutsuki had remained silent.

Hikari Kirishima holstered her weapon, a distinctly sour look crossing her face. “…are we done with the debriefing?” She turned towards the Supreme Commander, hands still tented in front of his face. “I would like an opportunity to talk with my daughter alone.”

“We’re not done. Not quite,” said Gendo, his first words since Genji Sawamura had turned the beam saber against Mana Kirishima. “Pilot Kirishima.” The Supreme Commander of NERV rose from his chair, his footsteps measured and stoic. He stopped within arm’s reach of the nephilim, looking impassively at her; thanks to his cloak, any hint of body language was masked. To anyone observing, he might as well have been a monolith. “Look at Genji Sawamura’s body, and tell me what you see; and I want you to be honest.”

Shiro Tokita frowned at the line of questioning. What are you getting at? More importantly, why was he doing this now?! There was a dead man to see to!

The silver-haired nephilim looked down at the corpse. Tokita had long ago accepted Mana and Mayumi and their superhuman talents, acknowledging them as human insofar as it really mattered. Yet…he couldn’t shake the chill at the sight of her red eyes, staring impassively at Sawamura’s body.

Finally, Mana said, “I see someone who was too weak to live.”

Shiro Tokita’s jaw dropped. What. The. Hell?!

Gendo sighed. “That’s what I thought.” He then backhanded Mana across the face.

Hikari Kirishima blanched, and Tokita’s jaw dropped further. To her credit, Mana only looked somewhat confused. “…you know that you can’t really hurt me unless I let you, right?”

“I’m making sure that I have your attention,” clarified Gendo. “All of our surveillance in this city is keyed to a MAGI algorithm that is consistently screening for psychological anomalies and outliers. Anything of particular concern is forwarded to my Sub-Director, who then reports anything of true concern to me.”

“I bet it’s nothing that you don’t already know.”

“That’s beside the point. Your superiority complex, lack of empathy, and misanthropic prejudices are tolerable in the grand scheme of things, but not when they deprive NERV of vital resources.” He pointedly looked at Sawamura’s body. “This man had a keen mind, but what has his death created? Nothing.”

“Not my fault he decided to off himself,” retorted Mana.

“It’s true that everyone must decide for themselves what they’re willing to live for, or to die for; yet, no man is an island. When someone is teetering on the edge like Sawamura, the right words can be a lifeline for them to hold on to. Your words were the rhetorical equivalent of pushing him off the cliff.” As Mana scowled, Gendo went for the jugular. “It’s actually surprising; given what happened to your biological father, one would think that you’d be more empathetic.”

Mana’s scowl deepened; Hikari Kirishima snapped, “Ikari, that’s enough.”

“No Kirishima, it’s not,” retorted Gendo, his gaze never leaving Mana. “Naoko Akagi was the leading mind behind Project Nephilim, and until control of all nephilim production was handed off to NERV-Lyon, she was involved with every single client. She most likely has footage of you during your gestational period. And she just so happens to report to me, even now.”

“What’s your point?!” snapped Mana.

“The point is that I know more about you than you could imagine. Given what happened with Daisuke Yamagishi,” The very mention of that name caused Hikari and Mana to flinch, something that didn’t escape Tokita. “One could wonder why you didn’t feel more for Genji Sawamura’s situation…or, perhaps Daisuke Yamagishi’s fate is precisely why you acted so coldly.”

“Shut up.”

“Burying your own emotions so you wouldn’t have to cope with what you did all over again?”

“I said shut up!” screamed Mana.

“And what if I don’t? What will you do?”

The nephilim snarled, “I’ll-!

“You’ll do nothing,” said Gendo, getting right into Mana’s face. The young girl actually flinched at the movement. “True: you could easily kill me and everyone in this room. You could probably kill almost everyone in this base before Section 2 gathered a sufficient amount of resources to stop you. But then what? Mankind’s defense against the Angels would be gutted, and we’d all be dead men walking. So let’s assume you wait until the Angel War has concluded; there are less than two hundred nephilim in existence at this moment. There are still over two billion humans left. Could you kill them all?”

Mana tried to reply. “I-!”

“And let’s assume even further that mankind actually does wipe itself out in a future war or a future disaster of Impact-proportions, as you seem to believe,” continued Gendo, his expression and voice showing none of the vitriol of his words. “And, furthermore, that the nephilim will survive such a catastrophe: that’s all you’ll have. Nothing but survival, until you all die out one by one.” At Mana’s confused expression, Gendo elaborated, "From the second generation on, all nephilim are functionally sterile. Both you and your sister were part of that generation.”

“…what…?”

“We were essentially leasing out nephilim to the militaries of the world’s great powers; do you really think we’d be so stupid as to give them a license to breed a superhuman army?” Mana’s dumbfounded look prompted Gendo to continue his evenhanded tirade. “Even if nephilim outlasted humankind, you would only be able to survive; you would never be able to live. You’re not the next step of human evolution: you’re a genetic dead end.”

Mana was quiet. She then turned towards her mother. “…is he telling the truth?”

Hikari nodded. “It was one of the things that we were told when becoming part of Nephilim Oversight. It was treated as a safety measure, but we all knew the real reason: so GEHIRN and its successor NERV would have a UN-protected monopoly on nephilim production.”

“And given that the proverbial genie is out of the bottle with regards to nephilim, would you really trust the militaries of the world with that kind of power?” pointedly asked Fuyutsuki. Hikari’s reluctant grimace was all the answer he needed. “Professor Ikari, I think the young girl has gotten your point. Perhaps now would be a good time to wrap it up?” suggested NERV’s Sub-Director. “It’s been a long day for all of us.”

“I suppose so,” admitted Gendo, his gaze still remaining fixed on Mana. “For how much you seem to decry humanity, you live a life in contradiction to those beliefs: you fight for humans; you obey human orders; deep down, your gut instinct realizes something. Something that you spend every waking moment trying to ignore or deny.”

“…what?” asked Mana, her voice sounding small and beaten. It was so out-of-character for her that Shiro Tokita felt somewhat nauseous.

“That without humans, you would not be who you are; that without humans, you wouldn’t exist; that without humans, you would be nothing. So keep that in mind, because if something like this,” said Gendo, pointing at Sawamura’s corpse. “Happens again? I will see to it that you and your sister are reassigned elsewhere, and I’ll have new Pilots assigned to control the Jet Alone.”

“You wouldn’t,” said Mana, her eyes widening out of disbelief. “You can’t!

“Unlike the Evangelions, the Shining Gundam and the Rising Gundam are mere machines. Anyone could be taught to control it,” countered Gendo. “Which means you are replaceable.”

Hikari Kirishima’s arm lashed between Gendo’s face and Mana’s; the brown-haired woman’s gaze was death incarnate. “May we be dismissed?” she bit out.

“I believe we’re done now. You two are dismissed.” As Hikari wrapped her arm around Mana’s shoulders and led the young girl out – bearing little of the confident stride or cocksure motion she was known for – Gendo spoke aloud one more time. “Oh, and Pilot Kirishima? When the Tenth Angel was speaking about humanity during its attack…how many of those words have been said by you? I wonder; have you ever looked at humanity, and considered us to be mere…vermin?”

Mana shuddered, knowing very well what comparison the man was making. So did Hikari, judging by her wrathful glare as she stormed out of the office, pulling her daughter along.

Right as the doors closed behind her, Shiro Tokita punched Gendo in the face. “Do you feel better?! Does it make you feel powerful, intimidating her like that?!”

“Intimidation is the only valid tactic against someone who can break down a door with a single punch.” Gendo straightened, readjusting his shades before looking critically at Tokita. “Your hook needs work.”

Shiro Tokita seethed. “Damn you, what are you trying to pull?!”

“I don’t intend to replace Mana Kirishima.”

Tokita blinked. What? “Then why-?!”

“She’s worked with the Jet Alone long enough that its movements and capabilities are instinctive to her; trying to replace her with someone of equal caliber would be very improbable at this stage. But I will if I have to, and she needed to realize that.”

“Why now though?! Why did this have to be time for you to try and teach that lesson?! You could’ve waited!”

Gendo’s stare was the deadest pan. Ever. Of all time. “Despite what my public image may indicate, I am not omnipotent, Shiro Tokita. I am not God; unfortunately, I didn’t anticipate Sawamura actually threatening Pilot Kirishima with the beam saber. Perhaps I could’ve intervened afterward and saved his life; or maybe that would’ve escalated things to a more tragic level. Hindsight is twenty-twenty, after all.” The Supreme Commander turned on his heel and returned to his desk.

Shiro Tokita scowled, looking down at his feet at Genji Sawamura’s body. As a shadow fell over it, he looked up to see Fuyutsuki handing him the beam saber. “We’ll have his body cleaned and taken to a morgue,” said the Sub-Director. “NERV will pay for any funeral arrangements that you decide on.”

Tokita sighed, taking the metal handle wearily. “…thank you.” What a horrible day this has turned out to be.

UltraSonic007
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UltraSonic007 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:06 pm

New episode is up.

FF.net reviews are nice; leave your thoughts if you don't mind!

kthxbye

Return to “Fanfiction”