Fixing the Wiki: Suggestions Thread

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm

It is probably needless to say that any disagreements about information in the wikis (which may cause edit wars) should be brought up and discussed on the forums.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:42 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:EDIT: And of course, hopefully the maximum possible amount of editors can create and alter the relationship pages without things erupting into edit wars.

With our new policy, edit wars should be much less likely. In case of serious disagreement over a relationship, we can just have each take on its own page.

For instance, the Shinji/Asuka article:

[url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Shinji_and_Asuka%27s_Relationship[/url]

If you check the history to when NemZ was still working on it, it was originally quite a different article with quite a different take. Now we can have both, if NemZ is still interested. (Though he really should lose the he said/she said format.)

Stryker wrote:It is probably needless to say that any disagreements about information in the wikis (which may cause edit wars) should be brought up and discussed on the forums.

Yes, it's much better to discuss it here than on the Wiki discussion pages. Most people don't seem to look at those enough.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Since the Shinji/Asuka relationship is likely to be the most extensive such page on the wiki, it may need its own special considerations. One idea might be a advanced/theory page on "Asuka and Shinji (Relationship) (Positive aspects)" and another for negative aspects. Or a theory "As a couple"/"As not a couple" page.

Another suggestion I'd make is a special (advanced) section on the wiki for Shipping, explicitly. A shippers go nuts section or namespace that turns the energy of shipping into something Eva shippers would find useful. This isn't to say that normal wiki pages should avoid the issues of aspects of relationships, these will have to be mentioned. But the heavier lifting goes deeper and deeper down the distillation chain.

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Yes, it's much better to discuss it here than on the Wiki discussion pages. Most people don't seem to look at those enough.

I'm wondering should we just disable the talk pages altogether. I'm not sure anyone can reasonably be expected to read all of these.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Permission to re-write or maybe completely overhaul the Train Motif Symbolism article in the Theory and Analysis section?

There's an interesting idea in there (the train represents a personal hell for the characters, mainly Shinji) but expanding on it; i.e the idea of trains as kind of a public/private space where the preferred etiquette is to ignore the other passengers and contrast that with the dusk-lit train sequences in color palette (the Neo Tokyo 3 train is in shades of gray and blue, the dusk-lit is warmer with oranges and yellows) and focus (Shinji is alone and nobody else on the train talks to him or acknowledges him, the dusk-lit train he is forced to look head-on at his problems and answer the questions he'd rather not think about in any other situation)

That's not getting into a possible dream symbol analysis sub-section :rolleyes:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Go ahead, the article is a stub and needs a lot of work.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:35 pm

I've got my work cut out for me, then. -o-;

EDIT: It'll just be text so far of my analysis. I don't have any of the relevant images to embed into the article and I'll need to rewatch the listed episodes to know the specifics. I'm kind of surprised Episode 4: "Hedgehog's Dilemma" isn't listed, considering he's on the train in that episode when he runs away. Ah well.
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 15, 2015 10:28 pm

I was having a conversation with Bagheera in the Kyoko's soul thread. He said (or implied, anyway) that he attempted to fix up Kyoko's article in the past, but couldn't on account of being reverted by a staff member, and apparently has no hope of the issue being corrected. I'm not sure what's going on with the wiki anymore and if any kind of chokehold is still being imposed that's scaring editors away, but if the problem can be addressed, that would be good. I'm not sure what it would take for people to feel reassured enough to contribute again. Who is responsible for making the jump reversions in question, and what would it take for them to loosen their grip?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 15, 2015 11:50 pm

It looks like he made a slew of minor changes in 2011 to various Asuka-related pages and Wayne reverted them all the next day. But since that predates this thread, It's likely already been sorted out, I assume.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 16, 2015 5:05 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It looks like he made a slew of minor changes in 2011 to various Asuka-related pages and Wayne reverted them all the next day. But since that predates this thread, It's likely already been sorted out, I assume.

To my knowledge it hasn't. Like you, I see no reason to bother with the wiki since I have no reason to believe the same thing won't occur again. I don't even want to make major changes; I'd be content with changing "this is what likely happened" to "we don't know what happened here; here are some possibilities" or something similar. But I'm not gonna bash my head against that wall given past experience.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 16, 2015 5:27 am

I do seem to recall a conversation happening where the problem of accommodating other viewpoints was brought to Wayne's attention and I have no idea if the trouble persisted after this. Since those reversions happened so long ago, I think editing something and seeing what happens would be a worthwhile experiment. The worst that can happen is that, yes, the same thing happens, but, if it does, the problem can perhaps get a swift kick in the rear and be resolved. It's a community Wiki, not Wayne's Wiki, after all.

Though, far as fixing Kyoko's article goes, it'd probably be best just to omit any guesswork altogether. For hashing out possibilities about ambiguous issues, the T&A pages exist.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 16, 2015 5:32 am

I would be fine with that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”