Building a PC

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:22 am

It's one of those things where, when you're in the thick of the mess, you really start to appreciate what you had, and you convince yourself that your life will be set if you can just fix this one problem,

and then you fix it and just a few hours later you kinda forget all those things you were telling yourself before and go right back to taking the machine for granted. :heehee:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 am

As an owner of a piddly-low HD7750, I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but reading this makes me wonder if I must be fortunate not to buy upgrades on impulse:

http://www.techpowerup.com/209205/geforce-gtx-970-design-flaw-caps-video-memory-usage-to-3-3-gb-report.html

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:37 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:http://www.techpowerup.com/209205/geforce-gtx-970-design-flaw-caps-video-memory-usage-to-3-3-gb-report.html

*twitch twitch*

On the bright side, it suits my needs fine right now, and maybe this flaw can be fixed.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm just going to drop by and say that I would suggest getting aftermarket cooler. If nothing else you can get lower noise level with them.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 pm

View Original PostBiQ wrote:I'm just going to drop by and say that I would suggest getting aftermarket cooler. If nothing else you can get lower noise level with them.

Is this in response to something or just apropos of nothing?
System Administrator

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:30 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:*twitch twitch*

On the bright side, it suits my needs fine right now, and maybe this flaw can be fixed.

Looking at reports now, I'm afraid this is becoming a hardware problem.

http://www.techpowerup.com/209409/perfectly-functional-gtx-970-cards-being-returned-over-memory-controversy.html

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 am

Well, looking for some advice guys.

After running the FFXIV Heavensward benchmark, my R9 270 is not capable of running the new DX11 client at a solid 60 FPS like it can currently with the DX 9 client. In fact, it tanks at many parts through out the benchmark. Even with overclocking it, it really did not improve things a whole lot.

So what sort of upgrade you you guys recommend? I was thinking of going with a GTX 970. I do know of the controversy surrounding the 970 and it's memory, but it still would be a pretty darn good step up, since all benchmarks I have seen put it at easily twice as fast as my current 270.

A GTX 980 would be grand, but I'm not sure if I can justify dropping nearly $600 on a GPU.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:44 pm

To be fair you do realize they stress test that crap a LOT right?
I got a very high pass but my frames still dropped to about 20 in that benchmark because too many things happening at once, my GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series and it normally runs the game at 60fps+ on the very high-minus shadows because shadows suck all power out of everything settings that i have, the Dx11 version was reaching 80+ consistently and my GPU is suppossed to be less powerful than yours so im not sure whats going on there.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:03 pm

Well I've ran the test using both DX11 and 9 both on max (Since I run the current client at max at a solid 60 fps) At DX 11 that tanks to ~37 fps average sometimes dipping into the low 20's if not lower and only manages to barely hit the low 50's in a couple of scenes. Lowering to high does help get it up to 45 average, but it will barely reach 60 fps even in the most low stress scenes.

System specs:

i5 4690k @3.5 GHz, Turbo boost up to 3.9. (Not overclocked)
8 Gb Ram (Soon to be 16)
R9 270 2 Gb
Samsung 850 pro 256 Gb SSD (Which XIV is installed on as is the benchmark)
WD Blue 1 Tb HDD
620w power supply

I'm wondering maybe if it's a driver related deal? I do know people with AMD cards are reporting lower scores than the Nvidia equivalent.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:32 pm

Cept mine is AMD and im getting a much higher score than i by all rights should be if you are having these problems.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Not sure if this counts as on-topic but can't think of another thread to ask this in.

SPOILER: Show
Anyways, i wanted to ask your help/advice in regards to buying a new audio system for my pc, specifically to watch films and anime with (in fact haven't done either of those things in months because of lacking a proper audio equipment). I have around 100$ of budget, but i don't know the first thing about purchasing an audio system, what to look for, what i need or what scams to be careful of. Is there any page or general advice that could give me some idea of how to go about it?

Aside from that, here are a bunch of specific questions that jump to mind:

How cheap can i go without compromising on audio quality?

How modular would an average audio system be? As in, can i buy a stereo system and later on buy a bass speaker and integrate it into my stereo?

How can i determine sound richness and quality?

What's the price difference between a good audio really good audio?

How much can i fine-tune or improve the audioquality on the software end? Are there any programs for that?

Thanks in advance.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:58 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Cept mine is AMD and im getting a much higher score than i by all rights should be if you are having these problems.

Yeah which is very very strange.

I ended up dropping the cash on a reference GTX 970 after I got off work today. (Because the reference design is awesome looking)

With DX11 and max settings at 1080p I'm now averaging 85 frames per second. Went over 100 in some spots and only dipped into the very high 50's a few times. My score effectively went from 4797 to 11091. Very very impressed already with this thing and can't wait to see what it can do with games like FarCry 4, since it takes quite a lot to run it at high settings.

@Dream.

I have a pretty basic setup for my system audio wise. I have a 2.1 system, so it's stereo with a subwoofer. I think I paid ~$40 USD for them about three years ago. Not the most expensive setup out there but it sounds fine to me and is pretty powerful also.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”