Attack on Titan-Racist? (and should I care?)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:57 am

If people think that Attack on Titan is nationalist, there are series which much more overt about the matter -- Mahouka, for example, though the criticism there tends to focus on quite how much of a Gary Stu the MC is first, and the nationalism has to wait its turn in the queue.

Then of course, there are examples of such nationalism being gently lampooned (e.g. Mimorin in YuYuYu), so it's not like the whole industry is a unified political bloc.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Some of the things being asserted here as fact (specially the thing of SnK being so unpopular in Korea and China) got me curious so I searched a bit, and 5 minutes of googling gave me these links:

http://kotaku.com/a-thousand-death-threats-against-a-popular-anime-creato-631792221
http://www.mangauk.com/post.php?p=13757
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/12/will-attack-on-titan-be-the-anime-that-sets-off-world-war-iii.html
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-03/gundam-creator-tomino-praises-and-criticizes-attack-on-titan-manga
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/12/03/gundam-creator-has-harsh-words-for-manga-and-anime-hit-attack-on-titan/

SPOILER: Show
And I gotta admit I still don’t really know where people are getting the whole fascist thing from, the arguments put forth in the articles read like someone who has no idea about warfare looking really hard for a rightist angle and jumping upon the fact a character was based on an ZOMG IMPERIAL EVIL Russo-Japanese war general, which is to say someone who had nothing to do with Japan’s most heinous massacres (though admittedly I only skimmed his wiki page) What little I personally saw of SnK gave me the impression of the effect brutal violence of world (and military capability necessary to respond to that) can have on people and civilization as well as a meta-contrast with today’s peaceful Japan and their ever-present post-war complex regarding their imperial history.

Twitchfilm’s article makes some very good observations regarding the zeitgeist of Japan at the time of SnK publication and how aspects of the series and it’s settei tap into those sentiments, but I feel they kinda jump a few hoops when it comes to their conclusions… the whole thing of “individual vs. many” that they push as sneaky agenda read more as facets of military incompentence from inept and detached civilian leadership (or manifestation of hopelessness in face of insurmountable odds), and I simply have no idea where they get their whole “except the traitors, and moochers, and…” thing from. Quite frankly, the military doesn’t operate on a celebration of the individual and there’s a reason ranks are a thing and a pillar of any army.

This non-sequitur and straw grasping reaches it’s apex when the writer inexplicably compares Erwin’s speech of having to turn off his emotions to save humanity with Hirohito’s comments on his surrender speech! Of course, the justification he pulls for all these fascist comparisons fall on the character of Dot Pixis, committing the usual delusion of taking portrayal as embracement as well as taking an overly simplistic approach to history… and that’s leaving aside the MangaUK guy, who’s just talking about whatever.

Specifically, the inclusion of this Akiyama Yoshifuru general leads me to think the mangaka’s commentary on Japanese history might be a little more complicated than just gung-ho glorification of military, and on that front it’s also important to note Isayama pulls no punches in regards to how shitty and hopeless the soldier’s situation is or the complete abandonment of the central government. Come to think of it, a lot of that sounds like stuff Saburo Sakai (WW2 Japanese Ace) complained/talked about after the war. Actually, the more I read about this whole thing and thinking of it, the more I’m feeling this is another self-instrospective look at Japan and it’s relationship to his Imperial past.

Actually, i'd like to ask any member from here if they would mind expounding on where and how do they see these rightist sympathies in the anime or manga, because as of now i'm finding that whole phenomenon extremely interesting.

Finally, on regards to the death threats, going by the Kotaku article that was just the result of 3 crazy dudes on the internet who saw it on a forum and entered raeg mode. Supposedly the threats are written in a Japanese that obviously went through a translator and it isn’t so much thousands of threats as it is a few threats being poster again and again. Also, going by that same article SnK actually has a pretty hardcore following in South Korea rather than being “extremely unpopular” there.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:53 am

It mainly comes from the fact that Isayama's private Twitter account linked to some rightist articles before he took the account down. They're very little of it in his work itself but people have a hard time separating the art from the artist so they figure if Isayama has rightist sympathies then Attack on Titan must have them as well. Granted, if you're willing to over-analyze you might find some here and there (particularly in regards the coup that occurs later on in the manga) but it's hardly imperialist propaganda.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Anime and Manga”