Resident Evil

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 am

Nemesis is probably my fave. Codename Veronica was real nice too, and long at that, way lengthier than the others.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue May 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:but what about weapons? once you find the uzi or other rapid fire weapon and you spread out your shots it makes lasting 20 days easier as well

By the 3rd or 4th day, I had maxed out the people and with a 35% repair to wall per hour, there was nothing to do but put hours into weapons. By the 10th or so day, I had all the weapons and there was nothing else to put hours into.

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Tue May 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Gamewise, I love RE4, my favorite by far. Story and scariness though, probably REmake. As far as all the inconsistancies, well, that's what Umbrella Chronicles should take care of. It's suppose to be RE0, 1, 2, 3, and possibly Code: Veronica all in one. From all I've seen and heard about it, it's supposed to wrap everything up and probably tie Krauser in to give a "eureka!" moment to fans so it won't seem like he just came out of nowhere in 4... which he did.

Can't frickin wait for RE5 though. Running zombies + desert environment + heat induced hallucinations of monsters and zombies = terrifying fun.

On a semi off note though, any fans of general survivor horror? If there are, how do you think Silent Hill stands up against RE? I love SH2, but the rest didn't really do anything for me... Fatal Frame will forever be the scariest to me though, hands down.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue May 29, 2007 2:43 pm

fadingreminder wrote:
On a semi off note though, any fans of general survivor horror? If there are, how do you think Silent Hill stands up against RE? I love SH2, but the rest didn't really do anything for me... Fatal Frame will forever be the scariest to me though, hands down.

In terms of "Scare the crap out of me" Silent Hill hands down wins. The brilliant idea, of radio's echoes when you are close to an enemy, the shapes of the enemies, the stereotype of hospitals, schools and the fog, and the darkness, set a really frightening enviroment.

But i don't think RE was supposed to make the player wet his pants, it's more like adventure, unreveil mysteries and go on to save your friggin life. And possibly find out about Umbrella's secrets.

Now Silent Hill is another story. It's supposed to screw with your mind and mental state, make you wet your pants, and most of it doesn't really make sense. Silent Hill generally is not supposed to make sense.

I've never played Fatal Frame, Whenever i go to rent it from my games store, it's always off-limits. I have heard it is good, and it's really, really scary.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Silent Hill is on a completely different level than RE. RE will always be one of my favorite GAMING experiences, but SH is one of my favorite experiences in any artistic medium ever. It was just a brilliant game, with an even more brilliant plot driving it.

I pimp this out all the time, but for those who enjoyed SH, THIS is definitely worth a read. There's been other plot guide FAQs written since it, but I don't think any have dug as deep into the brilliant world of SH as that guide. In truth, that FAQ gave me a whole new level of appreciation for the game and people who created it.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue May 29, 2007 3:59 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I pimp this out all the time, but for those who enjoyed SH, THIS is definitely worth a read. There's been other plot guide FAQs written since it, but I don't think any have dug as deep into the brilliant world of SH as that guide. In truth, that FAQ gave me a whole new level of appreciation for the game and people who created it.

Yeah, i have read that. Genious.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue May 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Silent Hill is on a completely different level than RE. RE will always be one of my favorite GAMING experiences, but SH is one of my favorite experiences in any artistic medium ever. It was just a brilliant game, with an even more brilliant plot driving it.

I completly agree with your entire post. Silent Hill is a much more cerebal game, whereas I have more FUN playing RE. I prefer RE, but dont get me wrong, I love both series's.
And Dan Birlew is one of my Idols, along with Thomas I-cant belive I fucking forgot his last name. Truely, the president evil.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue May 29, 2007 6:35 pm

RE4... i had mixed feelings(granted it was a good game). i mean is RE really RE without zombies? the "village people" as i shall call them didn't live up to their predecessors. for one you could always see them coming where as in RE2 they had zombies and lickers poping up seemingly out of nowhere. the only ones that were remotely scary where the ones with the chainsaws(and even worse the big guys with the DOUBLE chainsaws in mercenary mode). they simply just try to kill you not eat you alive the latter being a more intresting problem.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue May 29, 2007 6:58 pm

I really fucking hate the TMP in that game, it performs nothing like the real-life model.(For the most part.) The Snipers and Magnums were rather exquisite, though, and I freaking love the Mauser C96

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue May 29, 2007 7:36 pm

I really hate the controls in the RE games. I was hoping for something much more fluid for RE4, but it was just as clunky as the rest of them.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue May 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Same. I really want to dash somebody's head against the toilet seat when they say loz RE4 controls better lol wut. It's the same motherfucking controls, minus the static camera. The same. And people are too stupid to realize this.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Tue May 29, 2007 9:48 pm

I'd agree that the controls were horrible in the old days, but how can you call the controls in RE4 the same as the other ones? Sure the basic setup is the same (Hold B to run, R to shoot), but the new controls are far more precise than the others. No more of this shooting in the general direction of your enemy and praying your bullets hit them crap. Hell, the aiming is so good you can even try for a headshot, something that in previous games only happened accidentally.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed May 30, 2007 9:47 am

TriLink12 wrote:I'd agree that the controls were horrible in the old days, but how can you call the controls in RE4 the same as the other ones? Sure the basic setup is the same (Hold B to run, R to shoot), but the new controls are far more precise than the others. No more of this shooting in the general direction of your enemy and praying your bullets hit them crap. Hell, the aiming is so good you can even try for a headshot, something that in previous games only happened accidentally.

They are much more precise, insofar as aiming goes. And you easily could get headshots in the older RE games, you just had to aim up with the M79 and the shotgun.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Thu May 31, 2007 8:42 pm

BUMP!

Trilink, one of the continuality fuck-ups in the first Wesker's report is that is shows Ada falling into the pit... and then it shows Leon blowing the shit out of MR.X, which only happens in the B secnarios, and the Original report assumes LeonA/ClaireB. And Magnums rule the REverse. Guess what would happen if you put the guys from FEAR in there :lol:

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu May 31, 2007 8:51 pm

Executor wrote:BUMP!

Trilink, one of the continuality fuck-ups in the first Wesker's report is that is shows Ada falling into the pit... and then it shows Leon blowing the shit out of MR.X, which only happens in the B secnarios, and the Original report assumes LeonA/ClaireB. And Magnums rule the REverse. Guess what would happen if you put the guys from FEAR in there :lol:
played FEAR. not scary one bit
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Thu May 31, 2007 9:01 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:
Executor wrote:BUMP!

played FEAR. not scary one bit

I did not say FEAR was scary, which it really isnt, I was just saying whay would happen if you put the Replica's in Racoon city. Holy cock-christ, they're would some dead RE freaks. (Replicas are superhuman, and have weaponry that is far more powerful than any modern convential small-arm. Literally, the G2A2's 5.56 round performs more like a 7.62 than a normal 5.56.)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:25 am

I don't know about "Fear", but has anyone ever played Fear Effect 1 and/or 2? I thought those were killer games. Not scary in the least, but I loved the storyline and gameplay. Superb atmosphere and excellent, cinematic type graphics/visuals. The puzzles were also incredibly smart and challenging. I really hate they never wrapped up the storyline though. 2 left the plot just hanging in the air. But I still go back to them quite often and replay them. I thought they were really superb, underrated games.

I laugh at people who complain of the "difficulty". Apparantly these are players who never experienced the hair-pulling, controller throwing fun of the old Ninja Gaiden and Contra games. :D
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:20 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I laugh at people who complain of the "difficulty". Apparantly these are players who never experienced the hair-pulling, controller throwing fun of the old Ninja Gaiden and Contra games. :D

Ninja Gaiden probably took me the longest to beat out of any game I've ever played. I think I spent almost 3 weeks playing it, everyday, for as long as I could handle the frustration. And the first time I got to the end and was told to escape with the woman, I thought to myself "Fuck! I have to fight my way out now?" Contra on the other hand, I thought was a much easier game to beat as it really didn't involve memorizing all the pickups.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:38 am

Ornette wrote:
Ninja Gaiden probably took me the longest to beat out of any game I've ever played. I think I spent almost 3 weeks playing it, everyday, for as long as I could handle the frustration. And the first time I got to the end and was told to escape with the woman, I thought to myself "Fuck! I have to fight my way out now?" Contra on the other hand, I thought was a much easier game to beat as it really didn't involve memorizing all the pickups.
Conversely, I thought Ninja Gaiden was much easier than Contra. I think the thing that drove me nuts about contra was you could be having a perfect run, and then all of a sudden a stray baddie hits you and BOOM! you're dead. No biggie, just keep going, and then right away another BOOM! outta nowhere and now your "perfect run" is in the trash can. Pick up Contra: Shattered Soldier for the PS2 for some real hair pulling fun.

BTW, I have Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for SNES which is killer. Improved graphics and sound on all 3 games. The only downside is some of the OST is changed (and not for the better). But the improved graphics are quite good, and all 3 games are damn good. 2 is definitely my favorite, with 1 next, and 3 a distant 3rd - though I think 3rd was the hardest. The final "Air Ship" level is just painfully difficult.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:28 pm

I liked the newer Ninja Gaiden. It was a generally fun game, that was pretty difficult. Sure, the story sucks arse, but if you are trying to play this game for story, there might be something wrong with you.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”