Renamed hypothetical thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Renamed hypothetical thread

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:57 pm

Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 pm

Never underestimate the human capacity to be racist and discriminatory.

Some would welcome it and be tolerant, others would exemplify the above statement. Honestly, this is why I hope it's a LONG time before we find intelligent extraterrestrial life. You think humanity as a whole is racist now? Wait 'till we're actually dealing with a different race.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:52 pm

See Aberrant. It's not perfect, but it's a good first pass at the idea.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:03 pm

12,000 people get superpowers overnight? That's pure chaos. The world would quickly slide into some kind of apocalyptic cataclysm. Escalation and a superhuman weapons race is one thing (see: Ultimates 2) but this would be sheer madness. I like it.

:lol:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:42 pm

(Quote edited out)

None of the above. See here. It's your exact premise in game form.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm

People would complain about "superhuman privilege" on the internet and start pointless hashtag campaigns.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Probably the same things will happen that we deal with now when considering people different than us. There will be people that are fine with it and people who won't be able to conduct themselves appropriately. From a social standpoint, one would expect fringe groups to develop in favor of rounding up superhumans and throwing them off the planet, which would likely be opposed by people arguing the "they're still human" standpoint. Keeping that in mind, there would surely be groups arguing against the humanity of superhumans. Among superhumans, you could also probably find groups aiming to knock all humans, knock just the racist ones, or those espousing normal interactions between the two. And hey, superhumans would probably get fan clubs here and there-- but in short, you'd probably wind up with all the same divisions we have between different races and sexes today.

From a political perspective, I could definitely see militaries trying to recruit superhumans with more destructive powers. Superhumans could also be used as a power play-- surely a mind-reader would be useful at a UN meeting, for example. Law enforcement would also presumably be on high alert for super-criminals, which could result in an effort to identify all super-humans (a la X-men.) From both a political and a social standpoint, people would probably be worried about superhumans breaking laws and would respond with attempts to find who they are and attempts to ramp up security to levels where people with powers would have a harder time breaching restrictions.

Religious communities would either hail these people as gods, condemn them as devils, or just pay them no mind and continue observing their own religion. My vote is that the majority of people would go with option number three-- what impact does a superhuman have on the omnipotent?

As far as rogue powers getting control of superhumans... well, we're back at the political perspective. You'd probably wind up with all powers trying to recruit superhumans or creating human-staffed superhuman "kill" units.

I think this is definitely an interesting line of thought to explore in a story, [username removed on request]. There's a lot to think about, and I'm sure this would have been a longer post if I'd taken more time to consider-- but this is your story! I don't want to think of everything for you, and I want to be surprised.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:51 pm

Nuke-kun (and others!) hit the nail on the head, imo. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:03 pm

You might also want to check out Rising Stars, a comic series by J. Michael Straczynski.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:17 pm

X-Men. Even if outwardly beautiful, the different are always hated.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:14 am

Final Fantasy XIII provides a very good illustration of what would happen. Mass paranoia would grip the general populace since it's impossible to tell a superhuman from a regular human. When a superhuman did reveal his/her existence, the surrounding area would be locked down to prevent anyone from entering or leaving. Then the state military would begin purging these quarantined zones in hopes of eradicating the perceived threat and anyone who might have been exposed to it. After all, it might be contagious!
[Redacted]

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:32 pm

Religious fundementalists of some of the major religions would probably see them as being possessed by demons or something and try to kill them.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:21 pm

Either that or the superhumans would be seen by some of them as servants of their deity, which would cause all sorts of other problems.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 am

A couple observations

-Racism has been brought up in some posts. I think it's important to note that this isn't just hating someone for having x skin color or coming from y country. It's not even analogous to Victorian England genuinely believing women's brains were inferior. These are people capable of pulling out actual, physics-defying feats. The discrimination and discourse will take tints we have absolutely no precedence for and comparing it entirely to current hategroups is in my opinion short-sigthed.

-[username removed on request] has expressed a desire for a setting as realistic as possible. Since the superheroes's powers don't obey physical laws, what will the reaction of physics and other natural sciences academia be? Will it cause a complete breakdown in the established knowledge of the relevant fields? Will they just assume superheroes are somehow, inexplicably exempt from universal laws of nature?

-The effect of the twelve gods on the world is just too dependent on their individual personalities for us to give any sort of guess as to what role they might have, i think.

I don't really want to be a killjoy, but i think it's important to keep in mind not even a polymatch sociologist could really predict what would take place in such an scenario, let alone an internet board frequented by God knows who. To be honest even now i fear i'm seeing a lot of miopy and isolation of topics when it comes to some points. It's a fun exercise, but i'd advise agaisnt taking it too seriously or as manual for realistic scenario.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:06 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:-Racism has been brought up in some posts. I think it's important to note that this isn't just hating someone for having x skin color or coming from y country. It's not even analogous to Victorian England genuinely believing women's brains were inferior. These are people capable of pulling out actual, physics-defying feats. The discrimination and discourse will take tints we have absolutely no precedence for and comparing it entirely to current hategroups is in my opinion short-sigthed.

People hate and fear what is different from themselves. The specifics aren't all that important. The justifications might vary but always deep down the main thing is they are not like us.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:24 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:People hate and fear what is different from themselves. The specifics aren't all that important. The justifications might vary but always deep down the main thing is they are not like us.

I.e. tribalism. Scary how deeply entrenched it is in the human psyche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:46 pm

If Superman were real I'm sure he would intervene in Korea but that kind of story doesn't really reflect the ideals and underpinnings of the character. He's an ideal to aspire to, not a revenge fantasy.

Also I think editorial at Marvel and DC should have sat down a long time ago and decided on a fixed time scale and we should be reading about the children and grandchildren of the Silver Age heroes, but they're pussies and nerds demand change and then declare it worse than Hitler when they get it.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:47 am

It isn't like iconism is exclusive to comicbooks from Marvel and DC though; it's the same reason they still make Godzilla movies 60 years after the original and primarily, putting all the other contributing factors aside, why we get things like Evangelion New Theatrical Edition. And even when NTE is said and done there will be more Eva again someday.

[quote removed on request]

To quote myself from another thread...

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:The status quo has to largely prevail and characters, especially ones of such greatness (Reed Richards, Superman, et cetera), can only ever be as brilliant as the imagination of the writer permits them to be.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”