Some aid in my hunt for an old fanfic

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

lm_sleepless
Embryo

Some aid in my hunt for an old fanfic

•      
  •      

Postby lm_sleepless » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:11 pm

I fell out of the fandom a number of years ago and just recently fell back into it thanks to noticing the sadamoto mangas had been released as collections. After spending a good chunk of this weekend binge rereading some of my old favorites like higher learning, I've been bookmarking new stories to read and hunting down old favorites.

I've been mostly successful with the hunting part with all but one so far. The fact that I can't even remember the name of it is not helping, but the beginning of it was (at the time) so unique that it burned itself into my memory. It was a post (aborted?) 3rd impact story in which during EoE Unit 01 took a spear through the head, blinding Shinji in his left eye. The story begins a number of years after with a group of agents from NERV(?) going forth into the jungle to hunt down and bring back Shinji, who had disappeared into the jungles and integrated with one of the tribes.

Suffice to say Shinji does not want to go back, but blackmail wins the day and he is dragged back into civilization where at least one individual mistakes him for a younger Gendo. And this is about as much as I can remember.

I remember it being on not-ff.net site, perhaps an author site. It had a few pieces of fanart, etc. I strongly suspect that I have either dug right past it in one of the various "Best Of" threads I've rooted through and I'm going to look like a dolt or it is forever unreadable having been lost during one of the various free hosting purges. That mentioned, I'd much prefer the first be the case.

Any help in even just remembering a name would be wonderful. Thanks for your time y'all.
Sleep is for the dead

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:02 am

^
Fuck, I know the story but I can't remember the name.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:14 am

IT's one of Rhine's old fics. Rhine deleted all his stories from the web.

HOWEVER! He couldn't delete them from archive.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20021203085349/http://www.geocities.com/rhihawk/fanfiction.html

THere is only a prologue and three chapters, but that's that.

I need to start working on Project: Magma Diver some and linking you guys to a forum to post requests and ideas for.
Owner/Operator of Evafics.net, Fanbards.net, and Lemontastica.net

Death Brings Nothing.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:19 pm

For years I had been searching for Sweet Sixteen again and hadn't been able to find it! But today is the day!

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:02 pm

This is why I was thinking of pulling off a deep dive of archive.org's wayback to hunt down and locate these old stories.

Anyone like the idea?

Death Brings Nothing.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea, before domain squatters and the like robots.txt the material into unavailability.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Requests and locations for content to be added to the Evafics.net/Fanbards database can be left in this forum. If you can get a hold of the original author that would be better.

Death Brings Nothing.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:37 pm

I have some requests

Can you get Random's old lemons? You know the ones when he was into Misashin?

Lonely Hearts and Lemon Tea for Two I think they were called.

Oh, and see if you can get Zentrodie's MSTs, I really miss those, I wish he would start writing them again :(

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:41 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I have some requests

Can you get Random's old lemons? You know the ones when he was into Misashin?

Lonely Hearts and Lemon Tea for Two I think they were called.

Oh, and see if you can get Zentrodie's MSTs, I really miss those, I wish he would start writing them again :(

Lonely Hearts I think I have in my archives. I can get those to you, but Random 1377 stopped posting lemons and then took all his lemons offline due to RL concerns, he then started posting as Rx7.

Anything that was on Darkscribes before, just assume that it will eventually get processed throguh into the new database. I just have to do a full eyes on everything update due to issues from the orignal legacy migrate that we messed up.

Also, anything you remember being on Lemontastica before Rommel moved to Evalemons.com you should assume will end up processed through. I have both databases.

I could use some folk willing to help process through all of this into the new setup. I need to do a lot of data clean up with reguards to the content. I'm even exercising some editorial license by chopping up chapters where disclaimer notes go into a seperate field then the chapter, then author's notes have a seperate field. THis is so that when you download a pdf/html/epub of the entire story you get pure story THEN you get notes at the end of the story.

Also, I've managed to get the site to post new stories and such to 4 various twitter accounts. @Fanbards for all non-lemon stories. @Lemontastica for all lemon stories, @Evaficsnet for any stories that are Evangelion based, and @Darkscribes for anything that is an Original Series.

I should probably post something on the sites, and I probably will here after while.

Death Brings Nothing.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:28 am

View Original PostC.W. Smith wrote:IT's one of Rhine's old fics. Rhine deleted all his stories from the web.

HOWEVER! He couldn't delete them from archive.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20021203085349/http://www.geocities.com/rhihawk/fanfiction.html

THere is only a prologue and three chapters, but that's that.

I need to start working on Project: Magma Diver some and linking you guys to a forum to post requests and ideas for.

Is this fanfic completed? It doesn't seem like it, and what a shame if it wasn't because from what our OP described it sounds really good.
If it isn't completed I wonder if it ever was and the archive just doesn't have all of it.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:46 am

No, Rhine never finished it before dropping out of the community and erasing everything. That is all he wrote.

Death Brings Nothing.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 am

What a shame.

Do you know why he dropped out of the community?
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:47 pm

No, just one day he was there, next everything he was working on was gone except in the wayback machine.

Death Brings Nothing.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Sometimes people just commit net.suicide like that -- it happened when why the lucky stiff just vanished from the Ruby community, taking all the resources he was famous for with him (though most of them were eventually recovered from scraps).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Well chapter 2 is missing from that Fanfic. Does anyone know the site where he originally posted his fanfic material,[s:2wly22xw] I think I found a way to possibly retrive it. [/s:2wly22xw]

Also on a semi related note, I saw a snap shot of Evageeks back in 2007 and wow you guys where really hype for rebuilds(a bit surprised Rebuild 1.0 spoilers where actually a problem). Also I didn't know V was a member on here.
[s:2wly22xw]
This relates because I used the Wayback archive to find that snap shot and this is the same way I could find the 2nd chapter.[/s:2wly22xw]

Edit- @Smith, I just realized after posting the above that the Wayback is what you are using. I feel pretty slow sometimes.

Edit2- No I am really slow tonight, looks like chapter 2 is long gone.

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:30 pm

IT happens, I've been trying to locate stuff off wayback pages for a while. I don't know what I did though but right now Darkscribes.org won't come up in the wayback machine, I dont' see why as I didn't modify anything to do that.

But we can recover what we can as we can.

Death Brings Nothing.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:30 am

Some at least of the crawled pages have noise in the links

From the randomly chosen front page date at https://web.archive.org/web/20040320122810/http://darkscribes.org/ the link to Rommel's page is https://web.archive.org/web/20040320122810/http://darkscribes.org/misc/profile/11/?PHPSESSID=3a730cc8aa7400463f08be850574de0a and you manually have to remove the ?PHPSESSID=3a730cc8aa7400463f08be850574de0a to get to what you wanted.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:29 am

View Original PostC.W. Smith wrote:I could use some folk willing to help process through all of this into the new setup. I need to do a lot of data clean up with reguards to the content. I'm even exercising some editorial license by chopping up chapters where disclaimer notes go into a seperate field then the chapter, then author's notes have a seperate field. THis is so that when you download a pdf/html/epub of the entire story you get pure story THEN you get notes at the end of the story.

In a lot of cases, wouldn't some of those notes be SUPPOSED to go at the beginning, because they might explain something the author feels needs explaining before you begin? I remember reading Bard's Nephilim and if it's the one I'm thinking of, in the notes at the beginning it tells you he uses single-quotes to denote a thought. Considerations of style aside, one way or another a note like that does you no good anywhere but at the beginning.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Sometimes people just commit net.suicide like that

We even have someone on the staff who did that -- and before I could get around to reading it. :kaos_miffed: :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

C.W. Smith
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C.W. Smith » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:52 am

Monk Ed,

The chapter pages on my site have three text fields. Disclaimer, body, notes. Disclaimer can be used for starting notes. Personally I think thoughts should be done in italics and properly described like in normal literature but that is me. A story shouldn't need a key to read.

Death Brings Nothing.

Return to “Fanfiction”