Convention General Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:29 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:You could drive for a few hours to hit up A-Kon in Dallas.

Austin is much closer to Houston than Dallas is to Houston, as I understand it. I still haven't visited Dallas/Fort Worth though. At some point I will. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:47 pm

If you do, give me a heads up: it's my town.

I can let you know some of the nicer places to visit.

And you're right, Austin is about an hour closer to Houston than Dallas.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm

It's a chance to visit the 6th biggest anime con in the US. Worth the extra hour yeah?

Smaller cons have their appeal though. AX is the biggest American one but practically everyone I know who went this year had nothing positive to say about it and I've heard that it has recurring problems that haven't been permanently fixed.

That being said, I have never been and have been wanting to go for years. As much bitching as the folks I know did, they'll likely return unless it really nosedives next year.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:45 pm

I've already been to A/X 04 and Fanime 09/10 (didn't realize both were in the top ten list! :cringe: Fanime felt small-ish to me.), I'm fine with avoiding big cons as much as I can. -o-;

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Bump.

So, anyone going to be at MAGFest? It's right around to corner. I'm cool with meeting people from the internet, just be coo.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:33 am

Booked my hotel for Anime Next yesterday. I'll be rooming with a friend from New York and a few other EGF/exEGFers. First time going to this one but when I found out Flow was going to be there I had no choice. Chance to JIBUN WOOOOOOO live? How could I say no?

Also I'll be attending https://zenkaikon.com/ again later this month. If anyone lives in the south east PA area I encourage you to attend. It's an enjoyable little con with only a couple thousand people but a lot of heart. I had a lot of fun last year and it's only about 45 minutes from my house so I don't have to get a hotel or anything.

Otakon is once again on the board but since that's so far out I've yet to make my arrangements. Given certain circumstances I doubt I'll be rooming with my previous mate and as far as I know none of my other bros currently intend to attend, so I'm figuring out what I want to do in regards to a hotel. Not about to stay outside the city again, nor do I find the idea of a $600 hotel bill appealing, so unless I convince someone to go and room with me I'll likely just hook up with some strangers to save dosh.

As always if anyone wants to chill at any of these events hit me up. I'm down for whatever, be it food or just casual bullshitting.

PS: I Suppose if anyone /is/ looking for a roommate for Otakon I'm available. Only disclaimer is that I'll be attending the raves so if you're not cool with me coming into the room at 2 am (and promptly going to sleep of course), don't bother.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Not a convention topic per se, but is anyone doing anything in Japan this year for the anniversary of Eva? I'm inclined to make a visit, but don't wanna flounder around with no idea as to what's going on.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Now that I live in Los Angeles, I can easily make the effort to attend Anime Expo this July. I'll likely only go for a one day visit, but if anybody else is going I'd be glad to meet up and hang out. ^_^
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Just pointing out some Eva animator folks (as well as VIZ dub's Sailor Moon/Usagi, she was also FLCL's Mamimi), will be at Anime Matsuri:

I would have attended if they offer 1-day pass situation but they don't offer that. :( (No way I could have pre-ordered a weekend pass will all the craziness going on lately. :kaos_sick: )

Edit: They supposedly have 1-day tickets at the door, can anybody confirm or estimate what the price would be? Researching myself, but probably still too short notice.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:58 am

I have no idea if anyone was at Anime Boston, but I dropped in there just for the sake of it. They screened the original Godzilla, preceded by a discussion panel with two of the actors from the original movie - Akira Takarada (Mr. Ogata) and Haruo Nakajima (Godzilla himself). Pretty good stuff. I might land up doing a Legend of Galactic Heroes panel for it next year if there's any news on that show's remake.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:31 am

Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop director) and Noriko Hidaka (voice for Jean from Nadia, Noriko from Gunbuster) will be at Amazement this year, in Raleigh, NC. If you live near the mid-East coast and want to get your body (or just some DVDs, Blu-rays, or an animation cel) signed by Watanabe, get in line behind me.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:53 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop director) and Noriko Hidaka (voice for Jean from Nadia, Noriko from Gunbuster) will be at Amazement this year, in Raleigh, NC. If you live near the mid-East coast and want to get your body (or just some DVDs, Blu-rays, or an animation cel) signed by Watanabe, get in line behind me.

Watanabe was an excellent con guest when he came to Otakon a year or two ago. He was prepared, had an agenda (even a slide deck!); brought the charm, too.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:50 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Watanabe was an excellent con guest when he came to Otakon a year or two ago. He was prepared, had an agenda (even a slide deck!); brought the charm, too.

His panel on Space Dandy was really solid. It was really refreshing to see a guest actually present something. Guest/Q&A panels really disappoint me.

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Well, ACen (Anime Central) is coming up soon in Chicago and I'll be cosplaying Ayanami Rei. Any other Rei cosplayers? We could all meet up and we'll be like... the dummy plug system.

I don't know if this deserved its own thread

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:45 pm

I go to Anime Central every year. I don't dress up, though I did go once as Gendo. Probably too short notice for me to get anything ready this year -- assuming I had the wherewithal anyway, because I've never been able to get my act together to get that whole costume thing down.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Just got my ACen pass in the mail last week, and today it's officially a month away. I'm very stoked. The best weekend of the year for sure.
Last year at ACen the Funi booth had a girl dressed as Rei, but much to my annoyance she was wearing black shoes. :um: There was also at least five Gendos running about, a Yui, and an Asuka.
I was there as Shinji, and will be again at least one day this year just so I can get the lulz out of all the haters telling me to get in the robot, etc.

I know I'm not too incredibly active on the forum, but I still see myself as a happy member of the community, so if any other EGFers would like to meet up, even if for just a moment, I'd be down.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:13 am

I've never met another EGFer at ACen -- except for one instance of seeing and purposefully not approaching Defectron.

I don't remember any Gendos last ACen. :huh: There were five? I need to get out more. Or be up during sane hours.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:19 pm

so.... i just saw this on ACen's page. I have never been so mad at myself for missing something in my life :facepalm: :facepalm:

i died a little inside when i saw the deadline

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Never been to a convention but hopefully that changes soon.
Last edited by Chainsaw Owl on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Set phasers to thrill.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Anime Expo in LA is right around the corner, and I plan on going for the 20th Anniversary of Evangelion event on Sunday, July 5th. Any other EvaGeeks planning on going? I'd be more than welcome for a meet up. ^_^
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”