The Leviathan

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

The Leviathan

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:44 pm

So, a concept trailer hit the internet earlier this week. It looks friggin’ sweet: http://www.slashfilm.com/the-leviathan-movie-kinberg-blomkamp/#more-286258

Kinberg is producing and Blomkamp is executive producing, with concept trailer director Ruairi Robinson directing the feature film. Let’s see if Blomkamp can be the kind if executive producer he needed to have for CHAPPiE. (Or, you know, if Robinson is a good director. The least of my worries is the script, what with the writer from Fight Club on it.)
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:53 am

This looks awesome. We need more of this sort of science fiction in film! :D Whether or not the film is good, I'll be giddy if they get the aesthetic right.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:52 pm

As long as it's not Moby Dick in Space, or some two hour Environmentalist progaganda like AVATAR I'm good.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Well, it looks good, anyway. But honestly that's such a shitty premise I'm finding it hard to get excited. But what the hell, might as well give it a chance.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:25 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Moby Dick in Space,

the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:03 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:

You know what I mean Chuck.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:05 pm

I'd watch a Moby Dick in space movie. Heck, I’ll like just about any kind of movie just so long as it’s done right.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:13 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'd watch a Moby Dick in space movie. Heck, I’ll like just about any kind of movie just so long as it’s done right.

I was gonna say, I wouldn't mind that at all. And in fact, I suspect it'd be a lot better than what we'll eventually get. But cool-looking giant space thingie either way so whatevs.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: The Leviathan

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The least of my worries is the script, what with the writer from Fight Club on it.)

The scriptwritter, not the author. that would be Chuck Palahniuk.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:44 pm

The only time a screenwriter matters is if they're also the director and probably a producer.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 pm

^ There is some truth to that. Chinatown is always landed as being the example of a perfect screenplay, when it reality the screenplay writer for the film was fired for making the ending too happy and Jack Nicholson suggested the now famous ending to director Roman Polanski, who agreed that his film should end that way.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:42 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The only time a screenwriter matters is if they're also the director and probably a producer.

Or if their style simply bleeds through no matter who the director/producer is. Like, you can tell True Romance is a Tarantino script even though Tarantino didn't direct it.

It's a shame because the script is the most important aspect of a film. It's the foundation on which everything must be laid upon. You can have a shitty director, but if the script's good, the film can still be good as well (Red Dragon) But, if the script sucks, no amount of directorial talent can make it into a satisfying experience (Prometheus)
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Red Dragon is merely mediocre, Prometheus is a good movie and you know how I feel about Tarantino.
the prophecy is true

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Red Dragon is merely mediocre, Prometheus is a good movie and you know how I feel about Tarantino.

I think I agree, but I don't actually know what you think about Tarantino.

He is to movies what sampling is to music, and more than a little bit of an 'edgy' wannabe twit just pushing limits for the sake of attention even to the detriment of the rest of the film. But when it's done well and he reigns himself in the result can still be worth watching. Jackie Brown doesn't get the respect it deserves, and thus the audience is at least partially to blame for his continuing excesses.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:03 pm

He makes good movies that drown under layers of his "style". If he toned it down a tad here and there I'd enjoy his work more. It's something of a pity to see his over the top bullshit alongside really subtle stuff that's much funnier. Kill Bill, for example, get really grating at times, but it's also full of hilarious little details. Example: No one pays any mind to the Bride carrying a katana on an airplane because everyone on the plane has katanas and the seats even have built in holders for them. It's not shoved in your face with a musical sting and a closeup so it's easy to miss but it's fucking funny. It's actually a bit of a running joke in this world that everyone has samurai swords for no readily apparent reason.

Yeah, but crux of my objection to him is the frequency of his over the top shit, foot fetishism (I fucking hate foot fetishism in movies. Looking at you, too, Whedon) and 'edginess'.

I haven't seen Django but from what I hear I liked it better when it was called Blazing Saddles. I'll give it a chance when the mood strikes me.

Re: Red Dragon, it's a workmanlike film. I tried Michael Mann's version ('Manhunter') the other night and found it to be less entertaining to watch, especially since it was a fairly close adaptation of the book and the Mann version of Francis Dolarhyde was boring and not the least bit convincing. Feinnes really carried Red Dragon with his performance and somehow he had the sense of physicality Dolarhyde has in the novel despite being a much smaller actor.

There are a few bits there that are really good but I hate Norton and the added scenes and interplay between Norton-as-Graham and Lecter felt forced and unecessary; Lecter has more menace the less he appears on screen. I also found that despite being an inferior film, Brian Cox's Lecter (spelled 'Lecktor' in the film for some reason) superior to Hopkin's version. Their intonation and whatnot appeared fairly close, actually, but 'Lecktor' felt genuinely creepy and cutting out the supposed relationship between them removed the homoeroticism in the Red Dragon version and made Lecter feel truly inhuman, as he should; Hannibal Lecter doesn't do any kind of eroticism because he sees people as food.

Mads Mikkelsen is of course vastly superior to either. The man is such a subtle physical actor, but I digress.

Re: Prometheus: I haven't see it in a while and I need to rewatch it but I really enjoyed it and none of the nitpicky criticisms carry any weight for me, i.e. The scientists are dumb! Why doesn't Charlize Theron run sideways! The bit with David being more human than Charlize and the Space Jockey's reaction to the humans trying to communicate with him were fantastic and the movie had the 'feel' of Howard Hawk's The Thing from Another World in a way I really liked. I also enjoyed the way it built on the sexual imagery of Alien. It felt like more of a true sequel than Aliens, which is in a different genre and addresses completely different themes (despite the constant harping on Ripley as a feminist icon, Alien is about feminist themes, while Aliens is not; it is, like Predator, a coping-with-Vietnam movie)
the prophecy is true

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:39 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Yeah, but crux of my objection to him is the frequency of his over the top shit, foot fetishism (I fucking hate foot fetishism in movies. Looking at you, too, Whedon) and 'edginess'.

Funny, the only time the foot thing ever really grated and took me out of the movie were those two stupid scenes from From Dusk Till Dawn, which irked me even moreso because he basically wrote those scenes to for himself to live out one of his own sexual fantasies and that's just fucking weird.

That being said, I didn't exactly miss there being no foot-related material in Django.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:00 pm

I should note that part of my dislike of Tarantino is personal. His chin offends me and I would have it hidden from my sight.

Also I hate the Silver Surfer and Star Trek bits in Crimson Tide. They feel out of place in the film and taste like Tarantino 'signing' the script.

Also his whole Batman/Superman thing from Kill Bill is completely backwards.
the prophecy is true

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:18 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Also his whole Batman/Superman thing from Kill Bill is completely backwards.

Bill is supposed to have it backwards.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:42 pm

Huh. Perhaps my chin-hate has blinded me to some subtlety.

Either that or I'm just annoyed that seemingly everyone else also missed the point and repeats that little monologue as if it were gospel.
the prophecy is true

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:22 am

The entire scene is about how Bill's twisted ego is projecting his world view. He tells The Bride that she was born a killer and will always be one no matter what she does and makes his comic book analogy but he is supposed to be wrong and The Bride is supposed to prove him wrong.

It flies over many nerd heads for some reason. I agree, QT is not particular handsome but that's why he is behind the camera, most of the times.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Film and Video”