[MANGA] Why these Angels made it in, why those Angels were l

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Invincible Kaji
Embryo

Why these Angels made it in, why those Angels were left out.

•      
  •      

Postby Invincible Kaji » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:00 am

Not to be misleading with the title, I have no sure answers, but I wish to probe for reasons as to why X made it into the manga over Y.

Now, at the Eva Q&A at Otakon '04, I raised a similar question from the back of the room. (I was the Kaji wearing a sign who claimed that it was Pen Pen who shot Kaji.) EvaMonkey answered my question excellently, and reminded me of the fact that there were to originally be only 12 Angels. (Side note: I'm assuming this count of 12 includes Adam and Lilith.) Sadamoto had 14 (I say 14 because, c'mon, Adam, Lilith, and Kaworu were givens.) Angels from the series from which to choose to include in his adaptation. Could his method for selection have included how well the action would have translated into the manga? Because that could explain Iruel's absence. Not like anyone missed that lamer. Could another factor have been the Angel's effect on character introspection? Well, Leliel did cause contact between Shinji and an Angel, and was a most awesome episode, but maybe Sadamoto didn't deem it worthy of drawing for lack of dymanic combat.

Well, let the debate continue.
Penguins aim for me.

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:54 am

is that you, Paul B?
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:59 pm

Hey, shut up about Iruel; that's one of my top three.

Leliel was probably cut because Shinji's absorption accomplishes a lot more, and while the anime's Leliel scenario tells us a lot about the characters, in the shadow of the absorption it's really not significant enough to have to think up and draw two mindfucks. I'm sure many readers as well as Sadamoto just want to get to the end as quickly as possible.

BTW, doesn't the 12 include Adam, Lilith, and Tabris?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Invincible Kaji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Invincible Kaji » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:52 pm

Well, from reading the volume 9 manga synopsis, I'm inclined to believe that Lilith isn't being counted in the Angel count.

There are only to be 12 Angels in the manga. So far, we have Adam, Sachiel, Shamshel, Ramiel, Gaghiel, Israfel, Sahaquiel, Bardiel, Zeruel, and we see Kaworu in the final panels of volume 8. That's ten so far, and the other two are in volume 9; go find and read a synopsis to see which ones they are. That brings the grand total to twelve.

So, that leaves us to figure out why these ones made it in, and why the others were cut.
Penguins aim for me.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:06 pm

One word: whim.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:48 pm

why the hell is Lilith not there??

agh, Sadamoto...ya better pull off Third Impact without causing utter confusion :?
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:46 pm

I haven't read the manga's yet -- thought I desperately want to -- so I'm taking your word for it. Lillith is not counted as an angel. That's interesting, but it could have something to do with why Rei isn't either. The word is really just a code. A label of designation for any Adam based life form, which Lillith is not. The lillum aren't called angels for a reason, after all.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Actually, the cuts seemed to depend on where in the series the angel appeared. Nearly all the cuts were in Vol 5. (EPs. 10-16. ep. 7 bit the dust too, but that's no loss.)

The first 4 volumes were more or less 2 episodes per vol:

1. 1-2 (Actually ends half way through ep. 2)

2. 3-4 (Plus the second half of 2)

3. 5-6

4. 8-9

5. Highlights of 10-16, often not in the same order as the series, with some episodes being broken up and scattered around, some only partly represented, and some gone altogether.)

6. 17-18 (back to 2 eps. for this vol.

7. 19 (An entire volume dedicated to this ep!)

8. 20-21. (For some reason it goes a few minutes into ep. 22 and includes the phone call from Germany scene.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:33 pm

Well humans dont make it one the list either. Dident Mesato make a statement that humans were the last angel? I dont fully rember so dont shun me if im wrong!
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”