Evangelion in VR?

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

mirakodus
Embryo

Evangelion in VR?

•      
  •      

Postby mirakodus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:59 am

I just want to put an idea to all the computer programmers here. Wouldn't will be great to have a Virtual Reality Demo for Oculus Rift that would allow you to pilot an Evangelion? The idea is that you would see from inside of an entry plug seeing all the pilot interface.
The cockpit experience are one of the most compelling for VR, cause it deliverse a point of reference for your sight and helps with nausea caused by 'outside' movement.
As an input device for your hands: Sixense STEM controller seems like a perfect solution. It's a wireless controller made for VR:

I know a little about C++ and done some projects in C# but never tried programing a 3D experience but right now it looks like checking Unity game engine or Unreal 4 seems like a good hobby.
In future when Oculus is widely popular I just hope Khara will made an official app like this. Just imagine it :)

"Fate of destruction is also the joy of the rebirth"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:26 pm

^ Would be a perfect tie-in with say, a PS4/next gen game after the New Eva Movies are completed! :D

I'd totally want, if done right.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:05 am

I think it would be better as an arcade experience, myself. Sat in a chair designed like the one in Shinji's entry plug, the controllers would be moveable like the gear stick of a car[s:1xm3nx9m]---[/s:1xm3nx9m]with a bit more of a weighty feel[s:1xm3nx9m]---[/s:1xm3nx9m]some peddles at your feet, and three screens around you. Seventeen stages, for sixteen of the angels and Jet Alone. Lots of vibrations and chair movement; big red countdown for timed parts where where the cable has been detached; squeezing the controllers toward the centre to kill Kaworu.

I don't think VR is required, at all.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

mirakodus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mirakodus » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:20 am

^ well, it's highly unlikely that someone would do something like this and even if, it will be probably somewhere in Tokyo Japan. With VR it's widely available on day one, developed by non official programmers, can be easily updated etc. I know that lack of a haptic feedback is still a problem but it would be great anyway.
"Fate of destruction is also the joy of the rebirth"

BlackFang
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BlackFang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm having to prototype with Hydras. Backed the STEM Kickstarter back in 2013, nice to see you already have them lol. Regardless, I'll see if I can put together something. I've been using Unreal 4 since it came out, specifically for VR stuff. I'm actually working on my own project that has a lot of similar mechanics I think I can repurpose.

Unfortunately, I am a terrible artist. I wonder if anyone here on the forums has 3d models of Evas or Angels they would be willing to donate?

EDIT: Modelled a shoulder pylon, thats gotta be like, 2% of the way to a full Eva, right?
If a strand of protein is comprised of aromatic amino acids, the overlapping pi clouds can conduct electricity. Perhaps.... RULES OF NATURE!

Return to “Fan Works”