The End

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

The End

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:13 am

Here's a short thing that came to me today while digging the garden. Enjoy:

THE END -   SPOILER: Show
THE END

As Asuka dragged him across the ravaged land, Shinji's mind whirled. "The world is being destroyed", he thought. "I tried to restore it, but it turned out to be impossible." He looked around: "I just made it worse; Asuka trying to stop me made it worse; Father's treatment of Rei made it worse."

They trudged on across the bare ground. "There's nothing left to hope for," he thought. "Why couldn't I just end it all?" He knew the answer - Kaworu had stopped him with the spears. It hadn't stopped immediately, but that was just the time it took for the spears to take effect; the impact had been more powerful than the previous time.

Finally he understood; Wille had been right to wonder whether he was still human. Ritsuko had seen the truth, but had not recognised what it meant. He could no longer synchronise with Unit-01 because he himself was now the spirit of Unit-01; the physical husk that Wille was using to power the Wunder was just a body containing an S2 engine - no more than that.

The spears that had pierced Unit-13 had pierced him as well - the real him, the spiritual him, not the human body that Asuka was dragging along. And although they had stopped the impact, now that he realised fully what he was he also knew that he was more powerful than they.

Humanity had made a mess of this world; there was nothing left worth saving. He felt a slight regret for the people he had known who still hoped against hope that they could make something of it, but he knew that in the end they would fail. Better to end it all. Maybe life would emerge elsewhere; maybe it would make a more worthwhile job of its existence.

"I'm sorry, Asuka; I'm sorry, Misato", he thought; and he concentrated, picturing the spears. "Mother, you understand, as we are now together - there's nothing else to be done." And as he concentrated, the spears were ejected from his body, his real, spiritual body, and the final impact began. This time there was no one who could stop it, or even understand its source.

As the world came to an end, and with it his consciousness faded and merged with the cosmos, his last thought was of Kaworu saying they would meet again: "I'm coming, Kaworu!"
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Well, that's a way to give a final middle-finger to everyone before going out with a bang... I guess.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Well, that's... something? Even with this revelation I'm not sure how an impact can happen without actually having an S2 around, but okay man.

I feel sorry for the garden if it was in such a state to prompt a "I should give up and kill everything" fic. :lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:54 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm not sure how an impact can happen without actually having an S2 around, but okay man.

Oh, metaphysics or something - he's moved to a higher plane of existence I suppose. It didn't seem important to work out details, really.

And anyway, do we know that S2 engines, powerful though they be, are actually part of the impact mechanism?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the garden's not at its best, admittedly; and I most uncharacteristically hurt my back. Though I'd planned this before I went outside :tongue:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Pwhodges, well your lucky to live in a place that is warm enough to garden this time of year, I hate the winter.

This little short is on Anno's trolling levels, although I really like this because it has the idea of Shinji being spiritual bound with Eva-01 and his mother, something that is rather absent in the rebuilds. Also I imagine a scene in Final when somehow the Wunder goes down, and Unit-01 awakens, rips out of the cage, and takes Shinji from likely the prison block. (A big callback to the EOE scene). This really reminds me of that thought I had.

But as with anything you write, I enjoy reading it, so :asuka_thumbsup:
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:42 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Even with this revelation I'm not sure how an impact can happen without actually having an S2 around

No mentions of S2s in Rebuild anyway. New continuity, new rules, and we don't know what constitutes an Impact in the ENT.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Shinji pulled out the Spears even though Kaworu told him not to, then Kaworu had to sacrifice himself in an attempt to stop the mess... and then Shinji decides to throw Kaworu's sacrifice out the window by killing everyone anyway? Oh, my!

Well, that certainly was... dark. The explanation for why Shinji couldn't synchronize with Unit-01 was interesting, though.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:34 am

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:Shinji pulled out the Spears even though Kaworu told him not to, then Kaworu had to sacrifice himself in an attempt to stop the mess... and then Shinji decides to throw Kaworu's sacrifice out the window by killing everyone anyway? Oh, my!

Well, from what I understood, Fourth Impact started some chain reaction that would completely wipe out all life on Earth in a short time and leave it completely and irremediably sterile, so Shinji decided that it's better to wipe out and reset life by himself instead on betting on the Lilin hypothetically finding a way to repair everything before everyone dying, something that for Shinji is now impossible, so he took the sure path so at least something survives.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:11 am

I can also see the piece as a metaphor for Shinji going mad and committing suicide - though that wasn't my intention when writing it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Dark, but interesting. Let's hope FINAL doesn't actually go this route. -o-;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Fanfiction”