How Promiscuous Should Asuka Be?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

The Polyethylene Man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Polyethylene Man » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:16 pm

That's really not the point. The story is what it is, and once we buy into the notion of giant cyborgs who regularly tell the laws of physics to go fuck themselves all notions of realism go out the window.

Also, as far as realism goes, people react to trauma in all manner of different ways. The notion that one reaction is "realistic" while another is not is, in itself, unrealistic.

But the people are realistic, if a little exaggerated. People generally have sex. Maybe not when their fourteen, but soon enough after.

I probably have a pretty warped view on sexual relationships being a 23 year old depressive schizophrenic virgin that considered becoming an E. Orthodox monk for several years.
It seems to me that by my age 99% of people have formed sexual relationships however brief, and however 'healthy'.
Perhaps I chose a bad title for this thread. I'm not trying to call Asuka a slut or anything. I certainly don't think she was during the course of the show. But NGE is about relationships, and messed up ones. So say the angel war never turned sour and life went on for few years? Would Asuka, a fit, very attractive, agressive, and undeniably mentally ill girl completely shun sexual relationships? Would she have one or a series of healthy relationships? Have one or a series of unhealthy relationships? Have a bunch of one night stands? Engage in sex acts that lonely virgins like me find distasteful, like groupsex? Write erotic RahXephon fanfiction?
I don't know, I'm asking you guys.
I'd like a women's input on this, but the only girl I really speak to hasn't watched Eva (or any anime as far as know), and will be in rehab for another two weeks. I don't think any of the posters so far have been female, but I'll take everyone's thoughts into consideration.
Please tell me I have artistic talent.
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1584521/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128716295@N07/

outsane_geek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby outsane_geek » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:48 pm

^
Are you looking for a women's perspective on cultural norms regarding sex, or regarding the character's views on sex?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Actually why are we assuming what Misato says to Kaji is honest? It would hardly be the first time someone lied about their experience or lack thereof.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:35 am

Since this thread is now about more characters' sex habits than just Asuka's, can we just call this the Evangetiton Thread?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:41 am

I'd rather we get back on topic if it hasn't played itself out. As far as other characters' sexual habits go we already have one for Misato -- a long-lived one that became just the right place for it all to go.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:12 am

View Original PostThe Polyethylene Man wrote:But the people are realistic, if a little exaggerated. People generally have sex.

Lots of people do, some don't. It varies a lot from person to person. It varies even more when serious trauma is involved.

But regardless, the text is what it is. I get that you find that unbelievable, but that doesn't change what it actually says.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Actually why are we assuming what Misato says to Kaji is honest? It would hardly be the first time someone lied about their experience or lack thereof.

Why would she lie? Kaji wouldn't give a shit either way, and story-wise having her think of herself as a slut when in reality she's anything but does a lot to show how warped her perspective of herself is.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

The Polyethylene Man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Polyethylene Man » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:34 am

View Original Postoutsane_geek wrote:^
Are you looking for a women's perspective on cultural norms regarding sex, or regarding the character's views on sex?

Both, but I imagine that sexual norms are very different in Japan after second impact, and Asuka seems to have spend her much of her life in Nerve Germany, so there's that to consider. But considering we're an English speaking audience, and anything I write about Asuka would be for an English speaking audience, I'd just like a woman's opinion on their views on Asuka's sexuality.

And yes, I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread into Misato's sexual habits, except how it would influence Asuka. The two never really liked each other that much in the show (at least Asuka didn't like Misato), and it's possible for her to be sort of a reverse role-model.
Please tell me I have artistic talent.
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1584521/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128716295@N07/

outsane_geek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby outsane_geek » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:53 am

Well, as far as Asuka goes, I don't have a whole lot to offer that hasn't already been said. I think her interest in sex is as a way to become an adult, she seems pretty disgusted by the act itself. I think if someone actually responded to one of her advances, she probably freeze up and have to force herself to go through with it. Afterwards she'd be a bundle of self-loathing and disgust, and not eager to repeat the experience.

Since this attitude stems from mental illness, if she were to become promiscuous later on you'd need to explain why.

It was said earlier in the thread that she might face criticism for being a virgin. It's far more likely that she'd receive criticism for engaging in casual sex, especially from other women.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:44 am

View Original Postoutsane_geek wrote:It was said earlier in the thread that she might face criticism for being a virgin. It's far more likely that she'd receive criticism for engaging in casual sex, especially from other women.

Especially in Japan.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Why would she lie? Kaji wouldn't give a shit either way, and story-wise having her think of herself as a slut when in reality she's anything but does a lot to show how warped her perspective of herself is.

Because as we learn in EoTV, she's internalized a sense of sexuality being shameful, and weaponized it against the 'be a good girl' expectations of her parents. It doesn't matter how Kaji would actually react, what matters is how she assumes he would based on her own projections. That's all the motivation she needs.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:50 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Because as we learn in EoTV, she's internalized a sense of sexuality being shameful, and weaponized it against the 'be a good girl' expectations of her parents. It doesn't matter how Kaji would actually react, what matters is how she assumes he would based on her own projections. That's all the motivation she needs.

Not really seeing it, man. What you say is true, but I don't see how it amounts to motivation to lie about her habits, either to Kaji or anyone else.

LordThaeon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LordThaeon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:08 am

Pre-Arael: Uncertain. Like everything else, her interests in sex also appear to be a means of stroking/validating her own ego and proving that she's an adult.
There's a chance that she'd grow up to have a sex life that's mostly defined by empty and ultimately ungratifying experiences that she ends up regretting while pushing away any meaningful relationships out of a subconscious sense of not wanting to become "weaker".

Post-Arael and MP Evas: The diagnosis wouldn't be pretty. I doubt that she even want to bother with sex or attachments with anyone after that. (though the end scene in EOE has a sliver of hope)
FF Profile

"Please explain that again without insulting my intelligence."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not really seeing it, man. What you say is true, but I don't see how it amounts to motivation to lie about her habits, either to Kaji or anyone else.

I don't actually believe it, I'm just wondering why we're so quick to accept her comment as fact.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:01 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I don't actually believe it, I'm just wondering why we're so quick to accept her comment as fact.

Because the narrative gives us no reason to think she's lying?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:58 pm

EoTV seems to be in conflict with her statement, as I said earlier. I just think we could stand to be a little more skeptical of the characters in our analysis, even the 'good' ones.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:39 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Since this thread is now about more characters' sex habits than just Asuka's, can we just call this the Evangetiton Thread?

Someone make this thread a reality.

Anyway. Asuka's promiscuity...Honestly, I agree with what's been said- she bigs herself up as a mature, independent woman who's ready for anything but if she ever got into a sexual situation she'd probably freak out- what she really wants is attention.

In the realm of comedic/lemon fics though? extremely.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Fanfiction”