The Interview (and America’s Weak Use of the Media)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:So I watched this today, pretty fun movie, better then I thought it would be. I like their portrayal of bumbling fools in the media in this movie, very god job with that.

It's best that the movie be watched with the rest of your friends, lots of six-packs and junk food, and having one's brain turned off for a while.

Also, I cannot help but remember this passage from a book about the Marcoses:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:44 pm

More in the ever-developing Sony Hack Saga: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-new-evidence-points-760586?facebook_20141230

Apparently there still seems to be enough to float the boat of the “Upset Employee” theories.

I personally still don’t know how I feel about that. The hacker’s text seemed to be made up of enough broken-English to believe that it was (sympathizers of?) North Korea, and I would be hard to convince that some douchy recently unemployed folks fooled the FBI into suspecting an entire Asian country, so I hold these other reports with a truck-ton of salt.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:47 pm

There's always the conspiracy theory that the hack was planted to raise awareness for The Interview. :shrug:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:33 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:There's always the conspiracy theory that the hack was planted to raise awareness for The Interview. :shrug:

Which is beyond retarded.

Why would the Sony execs deliberately want to make themselves look like dicks with all those leaked emails?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:58 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:There's always the conspiracy theory that the hack was planted to raise awareness for The Interview. :shrug:

The one problem with this theory is sony never gave the movie a full theatrical release. I must say if I was in their shoes and this happened, I would pretend to pull the movie like they did and then give it a full release.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:58 am

There's also the fact that The Interview is kind of a nothing movie. Studios are used to shelving completely edited lower budget movies if the don't think it'll play well in theaters. Taken was shot, edited, then shelved in fact. Sony's not going to risk personnel on what might amount to only a $44 million loss. (Sounds like a lot of money, but it really isn't anymore. That's half the price of an Adam Sandler movie.)

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:39 am

Reading this:
http://www.voanews.com/content/sony-hacking-raises-south-korean-interest-in-the-interview/2580155.html

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:05 am

Lol
So not only did NK make themselves look like a fool to the US, they also made SK laugh at them too.
good job there NK, like usually your threat only serves to remind us how pathetic you are.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:35 am

However

An analysis of the timestamps on some of the leaked documents shows that they were downloaded at USB 2.0 speeds -- which implies an insider.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:41 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Reading this:
http://www.voanews.com/content/sony-hacking-raises-south-korean-interest-in-the-interview/2580155.html

One of the biggest effects of the whole debacle over The Interview's release was to generate more free publicity than any normal advertising campaign could've done, I say. It's gotten so much media attention that I'm not surprised people would clamor to see it despite any negative reports of the movie's actual content.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Won't be surprised in the event that it was 'an insider job', the said person is say, a NK mole that infiltrated S.Korea and made their way to America with 'legitimate' S. Korean background.
I feel old

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:38 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The hacker’s text seemed to be made up of enough broken-English to believe that it was (sympathizers of?) North Korea,

I've been to North Korea, conversed with North Korean citizens in English, and consumed a reasonable amount of their propaganda in English.

Believe me, if the North Koreans want to say something in English, they get the grammar right. Sometimes they can be a bit anachronistic, but the language the hackers used doesn't fit the DPRKs usual patterns.

The "it was a contract job" theory makes more sense than most things at this point.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 am

Regarding the above,

You were talking with people (guides, and the guide watchers) who were specifically taught English to be their profession.

I would say considering what I hear bout KIS unveristy, KJI military political academy and a few other places, the hackers may not have had a proper fully fleshed out English education like their compatriots in the more specific propaganda departments of the party.

And yes, I have seen and read the textbooks that is used for English education as part of my studies in NK, and it is a bit... strange to say the least. I mean, they can get 'The light of Juche shines across the world' and all that relatively right but things like 'John sits in the chair' does crop up. Also, the paper quality of said textbook is crappy compared to say (not in English), the textbook 'The Revolutionary Exploits of the blessed/dear mother of the nation Kim Jong-suk'. They spend what, three to six times more time on the study of the personal history of Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il, and Kim Jong-suk than maths or English or any other single critical subject. (And there is the whole hilarity about '3 People's Army soldiers killed 90 American Imperialist aggressors, how many imperialist dogs did each People's Army soldier kill')

However, hackers would be party cadre so it might be strange if they are magnificently incompetent at English, but that does not appear to be the case.

I would say the presence of broken English would not be totally strange.
I feel old

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:37 am

So anyway I found out that the not pooping thing is actually kind of a real thing...granted this was kim jong ill who made this claim but what is this I don't even...

http://matadornetwork.com/life/20-kim-jong-il/
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm more surprised that you've never heard it before. The DPRK is one hell of a strange country.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Saw this last weekend. Instead of spending $6 to watch it on Youtube and put my money down to stand up for free speech, someone in my mom's church group loaned a copy they had burned. :D

A pretty ridiculous movie honestly, but enjoyable despite the crudeness. Who the hell talks like these 2 to begin with? Most hilarious part for me was Dave telling Aaron what to do with the tiger.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:30 pm

More discussion of the hackers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Vdq9GuMSA

Return to “Film and Video”