Has anyone else had my problem?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Has anyone else had my problem?

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:35 pm

I have a thing lately, well the last few years to be honest, where I can only want to watch a movie once. Even if the film is something I absolutely love and think is the greatest film ever, I can only see it once. I don't get excited or enjoy second viewings, it's do in part to the fact that I remember everything but I want to enjoy the film as much as I did the first time.

I want to enjoy the films I love again.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:45 pm

Is it possible that you’ve become genre weary? If you have revisited the same genre too many times then all of the film entries in that genre can become mundane no matter how great any particular movie in that genre is.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:50 pm

You're case is not unique, I have the same thing, I usually only see a movie once, no matter how much I enjoyed it.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:53 pm

@ Freaky
I've encountered it with all the genres, Horror, Thriller, Sci Fi, Romance, Suspense, Comedy, you name it. So I don't think it's that.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:39 pm

I think society in general has acquired a case of ADD and need different sources of stimulation with regard to certain things, rather than repeated doses.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a movie when it was in theaters more than once in between when Avatar came out and now. Maybe wanting to save money has something to do with it? Eh, I dunno.

The only movies in recent history that I very strongly wanted to see the next day after seeing it in theaters was The Wolf of Wall Street and maybe Gone Girl and Interstellar.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:38 pm

I'd say that's a factor of age & maturation. When you're a kid/teenager your interests are rather small & centralized. You like what you like & you prefer to focus your spare time in that one specialized area. It's probably a factor from just being young & not having much in the way of life experiences or a well formed sense of empathy for people, places & stories outside your prime interest. So, if as a teenager you loved comic book movies you were more likely to focus most - if not all - of your time for filmwatching on comic book flicks. You'd literally bathe in them, study every aspect, etc. When I look back at my high school days I can not tell you how many HUNDREDS of hours I spent re-watching The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I saw all three films in theaters multiple times, watched them again & again when they hit DVD & then doubled those watches when the Extended Editions for each film was released. If you put me in a room & started any of the three LOTR films - Extended Editions by the way - I promise you I'd be able to quote along with the films from start to finish. I watched, studied & researched them so much I could tell you the name of Theoden King's 5th Lieutenant who has two lines in the entire affair. When I had a free afternoon & nothing planned I would pop in one of those three films & re-watch them as opposed to viewing something new. I didn't want to expand my horizons I wanted to indulge in what I knew & loved.

But as you grow up HOPEFULLY you're interests grow as well. My interest in film expanded past horror movies, big budget blockbusters & cartoon films to include foreign films, small character dramas & so much more. Not to mention with a full time job - the joys of adult life - cutting into every day I don't have the free time I used to have to indulge in many re-watches & I find if I have two hours free I'd much rather experience something new than watch the same film again. There's always new films to watch & there's also always old films that I haven't seen yet to explore! New artists to learn about, new film waves to dip into, etc.

Plus, the big issue no one has brought up yet is accessibility. We're now living in the age when there is no such thing as an "Unviewable Film". With Movie Theaters, TV, Video On Demand, Netflix Instant, Streaming, Torrenting, DVR, Bluray, DVD, etc we have literally hundreds of ways to access new content. This ability to access new content has grown exponentially in a few short years. If you watched your first John Carpenter movie today - I'd recommend The Thing of course - & you found that you loved it & wanted to see more of Carpenter's work I promise with just 30 minutes of work online you could have legal access to most if not all of his films. Cut that access time to under 10 minutes if you're using illegal means.

Our accessibility to films, books & culture is growing exponentially but the time available to us in the day sure isn't. If I can get access to the entire catalogue of Alfred Hitchcock's body of work of course I'd always watch a film of his I haven't seen before rather than watch Rear Window for the 10th time. Doesn't mean that I love Rear Window any less because I only watched it 10 times in my life as opposed to 11. Just like it doesn't mean films are worse today because I only watched my favorite films of the year once or twice as oppossed to the 5 or 6 times I did when I was younger.

There's just so much exciting work - new & old - out there to experience & for the first time in history it's readily accessible! You want to see every movie Akira Kurosawa ever made? You can see it! You want to view every film in the Marvel Film Universe in chronological order? Go ahead cause you can! Etc etc.

I'd argue that could be why you're having rewatch issues. Of course put some some time between films & you're sure to love it again on a rewatch. I hadn't seen any of Satoshi Kon's films in years but when I watched his entire body of work last month so much time had passed they all felt new.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:54 pm

It depends on how it appeals to me. Like almost all james Cameron movies have a deep and vast artistic feel to me and I can watch them over and over again without getting bored. Then I watch something that's good like let's say Django unchained, it's a good film, but would I watch it again, maybe but not anytime soon. For me it's how real everything feels too. Like twilight, it's all cute and sparkly yea, but if I had to picture what a real vampire interpretation would be, I'd say let me in is far superior. Idk it's just the small things like actor chemistry, pacing, and other things that make it for me.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Yes it's happening with me all the time. Not only for movies but also for games and TV series.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:19 pm

My idea of a re-watch tends to be maybe watching something once or twice a year. Kiki and Eva are basically the only films on that list of things I re-watch like that. Everything else is either more like “I can’t remember the last time I saw this. I guess that means I should see it again,” or “I need to show this movie to other people ASAP.”

Of course, if I liked a movie enough to buy it on DVD or Blu-ray that probably means it’ll be re-watched within the year without thinking twice about it. But after that I pretty much retire the viewing of the film for a while unless I’m showing it to other people.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:30 pm

That's perfectly healthy. Rewatching movies is actually kind of a bad habit, looking at something for too long will only reveal the illusion.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Some films, no matter how good they were, can just have zero rewatch value. And sometimes vice-versa-- a poor film can have a ton of rewatch value and make you want to go back to it over and over again. If you don't want to watch the film a second time... well, there's not much to do about that except to go and seek out new films.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:04 pm

I love to re-watch movies. I have watched the Back to the Future trilogy more times than I
can possibly count on my hands (and toes)

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 pm

I generally only do a second viewing for films that hit a certain level of 'mindfuck' or that have nonlinear plot elements.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

brendansteere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brendansteere » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 pm

I think Gendo'sPapa nailed it. We tend to "obsess" more when we're younger and have less time when we're older. There are videogames that I poured weeks of my life into when in middle school that I revisit now and spend about an hour playing.

Rewatching movies is a weird one, and I think that time is a major deciding factor. There are films that I used to just pour over for weeks and sort of wore out for myself, only to rediscover years later and love.

I think at the end of the day it depends on the film and how exactly you want to watch it. If you're watching it to be entertained, then replaying things ad infinitum wears out relatively quickly. If you're watching it the repeat times to discern some mystery (why is the director cutting here, what do I love about the lighting/production design/costumes etc), then looping the film will perhaps be more rewarding.

It might also be a time thing. We have less "mess around" time when we're older, and might subconsciously budget ourselves as such. It's funny, I can loop movies if I have good reason to, but even though I'm a voracious reader, I don't think I've ever reread a book. It just takes longer.
I made music and a pilot for you, which I hope you enjoy.

I also made a feature-length movie, which has nothing to do with Evangelion, but you can check out if you'd like to do something different for a while.

Return to “Film and Video”