Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:28 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I agree - with exception to your comment about her voice, on which I agree with Defectron in that it isn't her voice that is the issue but rather her immaturity in some scenes.

Well, Death Note was my first anime, so I was entirely unused to Japanese female voices, and I already found Misa's dub vioce irritating. And then I heard the original one. Ach.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:44 am

Ah, Death Note. It's been so long since I watched you. I was thinking about watching you again, but then I remembered how terrible your ending was. I'll watching something better instead.

LEARN TO SWIM!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:08 am

I must admit that I've not made it to the ending - and I have no intention of bothering. I got to about episode 18 and couldn't stand it any more.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

The consensus is that the anime goes rapidly downhill after "Ladies night". No, I've not seen it nor read the manga.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:20 pm

The first 25 episodes of deathnote were great and then sharks were jumped.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:22 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:The first 25 episodes of deathnote were great and then sharks were jumped.

My thoughts exactly.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:30 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:The first 25 episodes of deathnote were great and then sharks were jumped.

Quoted again, for truth. They could've made the Light vs L games continue instead of having both meet so early on. If both of them had met around episode 24 or 25 instead of earlier - well, it'd have been a very interesting episode 36/37!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:27 pm

The only part i didn't like was the Yotsuba arc.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:The only part i didn't like was the Yotsuba arc.

The wackiness in that arc was certainly pretty jarring.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:The only part i didn't like was the Yotsuba arc.

No I still liked the Yotsuba arc fine I actually think they did the anime version of that arc better then the manga.

But the post time skip arcs, especially the Mello arc are just so rushed and sloppy it just irritated the hell out of me. Still had its moments, but I really wish they hadnt tried to cram everything else into just 10.5 episodes. Seriously I was so annoyed at the way things went later on I went back and rewatched one of the earlier deathnote episodes and was all like "holy crap this is really good, what the fuck happened later in the series?"

Granted its not a full on bastardized abomination like the second half of the gantz anime, but thats like saying its better to be shot with a hand gun then an assault rifle.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The story could have perfectly ended with him winning and no one besides moralfags would have cried foul.

The 2nd half of Death Note had no reason to exist whatsoever.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:06 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:no one besides moralfags would have cried foul.

And those (like me) probably stopped watching long before then, because they didn't want to waste time on a story that glorifies someone like Light without presenting any interesting counterpoint to make it worth while.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Even in his greatest moments the show never glorified him at all. The interesting thing was following someone with good intention being corrupted by power which was the duality as it questioned the watcher what he would do if he had a Death Note in his hands. That was the moral counterpoint, not going to inredible contrived lenghts to kill him off because nah, nah villains are bad mkay?

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:47 pm

^
There wasn't many good intentions in Light's actions, as soon as he confirmed that the Death Note powers are real he stated that he would become the god of this world and killed even people that were getting in his way.
The few bits of his life before finding the Death Note point that Light was narcissistic, asocial and probably sociopathic if not outright psychopathic, Ryuk just gave him the way to live his superiority fantasy to the extreme.
And then in the end got a grim reminder of why Shinigamis are the ultimate Karma Houdinis and how he didn't had any power beyond being Ryuk's toy.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't remember saying he was a good guy. Still, regardless of his character, without the Death Note he was harmless and had likely followed his father and worked for the police. Consider he had the power to just kill people willy-nilly he went after criminals which shows he had a sense of justice and wanted to make the world a better place.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:15 pm

My problem is that as soon as he reaches for the Death Note to use it for his own protection, he doesn't do anything else interesting at all. In spite of L's efforts, I felt the story just became boring. I think I stuck it for twelve or thirteen episodes, but saw no improvement in prospect.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:48 pm

My biggest gripe with Death Note was that Light's plans eventually got so absurd that many times they bordered on precognition.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:07 pm

I don't think that the Manga, at least, ever glorified light as a character. Made him seem like a pretty good antagonist-- albeit a very charismatic one when he tried to be.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:32 am

^
Indeed, one good thing about the second part is that you can see how swag the motherfucker is with a suit on! :lol:

View Original PostFireball wrote:I don't remember saying he was a good guy. Still, regardless of his character, without the Death Note he was harmless and had likely followed his father and worked for the police. Consider he had the power to just kill people willy-nilly he went after criminals which shows he had a sense of justice and wanted to make the world a better place.

Well, you said that DN is a story about "someone with good intention being corrupted by power", except that although he did targeted criminals, he made it clear that it was just to gain the support of the public, and very quickly he started to consider as "criminal" even petty delinquents or even lazy people.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 am

^ yeah light was just lawful evil tbh, i didn't really see any "good" in him, just some very twisted and childish morals.

However as the extra chapter of the manga does point out he did have an exceptional amount of willpower and knew what he wanted, as all the people who tried to mimic him after ended up killing themselves.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Anime and Manga”